1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jewish Questions and Answers On the Afterlife

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Inquiring Mind, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

A Orthodox Jew was asked these Questions.

1. What do Jews teach is the condition of those who are dead? (consious/un-consious - are they aware they are dead, or not aware of anything?)

2. What is the fate of the wicked? (hell, ect.)
    3. What is the fate of the righteous? (heaven, ect.)

4. How do Jews veiw birthday celebrations? (traditionally)

5. Do you think man is comprised of a physical body and a non-physical soul?

6. I don't think there's a uniform Jewish belief about these things.
    A Reform Jew and an Orthodox Jew and a Conservative Jew and a Reconstructionist Jew could give four different answers.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Thanks for the interesting read.

3. Inquiring Mind

You're welcome.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ask them about Satan - that is a very interesting story.

5. Inquiring Mind

I found this answer to questions 2 and 3 most interesting:

Fascinating, it almost sounds like....

6. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Those are the ones that I found most fascinating as well, because they are realatively close to what the Bible says. Where I disagree is that we will "pay" for our good deeds and bad deeds. The Bible says that we will actually be paid for our deeds whether good or bad, so it is not us paying, but receiving payment.

And I don't agree with the last line about the prayers and rituals for the souls during this time.

But the soul is what is in play for the coming kingdom. That is why the Gospel accounts speak of the soul so much. The kingdom is the next world or age that we will enter before stepping out into eternity.

And just because one is saved eternally doesn't mean they will be good to go in the kingdom age.

7. Inquiring Mind

Quite the contrary.

Matt. 5:26,18:34; Luke 12:58-59 – Jesus teaches us, “Come to terms with your opponent or you will be handed over to the judge and thrown into prison. You will not get out until you have paid the last penny.” The word “opponent” (antidiko) is likely a reference to the devil (see the same word for devil in 1 Pet. 5:8) who is an accuser against man (c.f. Job 1.6-12; Zech. 3.1; Rev. 12.10), and God is the judge. If we have not adequately dealt with satan and sin in this life, we will be held in a temporary state called a prison, and we won’t get out until we have satisfied our entire debt to God. This “prison” is the final purification process( as described in 1Cor 3:10-17) where we will not get out until the last penny is paid.

8. Inquiring Mind

Who is to argue with a Jew, afterall they are not bound by the New Testament. Jewish tradition and beliefs have developed over time. Jesus did not condemn all tradition, he condemn corrupt tradition.

Examples of Jesus' and the Apostles' Reliance on Oral Tradition

Matt. 2:23 - the prophecy "He shall be a Nazarene" is oral tradition. It is not found in the Old Testament. This demonstrates that the apostles relied upon oral tradition and taught by oral tradition.

Matt 23:2 - Jesus relies on the oral tradition of acknowledging Moses' seat of authority (which passed from Moses to Joshua to the Sanhedrin). This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

John 19:26; 20:2; 21:20,24 - knowing that the "beloved disciple" is John is inferred from Scripture, but is also largely oral tradition.

Acts 20:35 - Paul relies on the oral tradition of the apostles for this statement ("it is better to give than to receive") of Jesus. It is not recorded in the Gospels.

1 Cor. 7:10 - Paul relies on the oral tradition of the apostles to give the charge of Jesus that a wife should not separate from her husband.

1 Cor. 10:4 - Paul relies on the oral tradition of the rock following Moses. It is not recorded in the Old Testament. See Exodus 17:1-16 and Num. 20:2-13.

Eph 5:14 - Paul relies on oral tradition to quote an early Christian hymn - "awake O sleeper rise from the dead and Christ shall give you light."

Heb. 11:37 - the author of Hebrews relies on the oral tradition of the martyrs being sawed in two. This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Jude 9 - Jude relies on the oral tradition of the Archangel Michael's dispute with satan over Moses' body. This is not found in the Old Testament.

Jude 14-15 - Jude relies on the oral tradition of Enoch's prophecy which is not recorded in the Old Testament.

9. Inquiring Mind

Amen to that! Jesus stated that in this:

Matt. 7:21 - all those who say "Lord, Lord" on the last day will not be saved. They are judged by their evil deeds.

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I will have to look more into the Scripture you have given, but we have several parables where the servants are paid for their actions or suffer loss for their inaction. Look at the parable of the talents and pounds and I believe the parable of the household servants.

11. Inquiring Mind

Being paid with suffering or paying with suffering. It's a matter of how you look at it.

God pays me with suffering for the burning away my wood, hay, stubble. I pay for my wood, hay, stubble by receiving the suffering.

12. Inquiring Mind

Matthew 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
    24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
    25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. GOD REQUIRES PAYMENT FOR WHAT IS DUE.
    26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
    27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. SOMETIMES GOD IS FORGIVING BUT....28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
    29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
    30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
    31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
    32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
    33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
    34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. ....GOD NORMALLY ENDS UP REQUIRING PAYMENT.
    35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

13. Inquiring Mind

Matthew 25: 14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
    15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. GOD GIVES MAN GIFTS TO USE SO THAT IT MAY BENEFIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD.16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
    17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
    18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
    19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
    20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
    21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
    23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine. SOME DON'T USE THE GIFTS WITH CHRIST'S WISDOM
    26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
    27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
    28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents. THOSE THAT DON'T USE THE GIFTS WISELY HAVE TO PAY FOR THEIR SINS
    29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
    30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. AND SOMETIMES THAT PAYING IS A LIFE SENTENCE IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY.

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Could very well be two sides to the same coin. I will look at in more. But one thing we do know for sure is that missing thet kingdom as a Christian is something very foreign to Christendom these days and unfortunately very dangerous as well.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In fact it sounds "exactly like..." !

What is facinating is that when the ONE TRUE CHURCH started by God at Sinai finally heaps a few 1000 years of error on itself it begins to look exactly like another group that did the same thing to itself.

In Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I forgave thee ALL that DEBT!

Sounds pretty "merciful" to me.

in Christ,

Bob