1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim Bakker, I Was Wrong.

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Ben W, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Has anyone read this book, I Was Wrong by Jim Bakker?

I have heard that Jim Bakker has turned against the Prosperity Gospel teachers, and is trying to put things right with this book.

SO would you give him another chance?

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't read the book, but Saul made a turn-around! So did the thief on the cross, Chuck Colson ----! I would believe him until he proved oterwise!!

3. Shqippy

Shqippy New Member

This is by no means an answer to your question, but you reminded me of when I was in a bookstore in Charlotte, NC, several years ago, and was told by a lady AS she was buying that very book, "Pastor Jim never did anything wrong, you know."

4. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I know this won't answer the question -- I haven't read the book, and have better things to do than that. I think there are a great number of things wrong with Jim Bakker's theology. That said, I have seen interviews with him, and he does appear to have turned himself around. I hope he can find peace.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not read the book, but from his interviews he seems to have changed. None of us can know what is in the heart of another. Is there a place for him? I think so, after he proves himself.

http://www.pbi.ab.ca/servant/archive/1997win/bakker_interview.htm

6. Alliswell

Alliswell New Member

I used to get ready for work while Jim and Tammy were on.

They certainly never made any secret of all the extraviagnt things they were doing with the money that people sent.

They took us on tours of the various homes they had including the air conditioned dog house and the 100 stuffed animals on Tammy's bed, and the rare automobiles ad infinitum.

Tammy would tell of using shopping to cheer
    herself.

They were stopped from building the time share lodging that they were offering, and then accused of defrauding the people.

There may have been things that were not apparant, but at the time I thought the government caused the investors to lose their money because they didn't allow PTL to finish the project.

I am Southern Baptist to the bone and did not go along with all the theology, but they did worship our Lord, and never said goodbye without telling us that God loves us.

He was wrong to get so involved in building a 'Christian Shopping Mall' that he didn't have time to study his Bible and stay close to the Lord whom he thought he was serving.

I still think the government treated him worse than they do some murderers and rapists.

I am glad it brought him to his senses. I have not read the book but had heard of it.

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    For years I had a personal grudge against Bakker. Our next-door neighbors were big fans of his and couldn't understand why I was skeptical. When Bakker's problems became known, it really shook their faith, and I resented Bakker because of that.

BTW, he may be coming back to a TV set near you:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/news/1202/09bakker.html

8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I have the book. I read it a few years ago. I do believe he has sincerely repented, but it didnt seem he was sorry until he got caught. He used the phrase "I was wrong" many times thoughout the book at times when I felt he was trying to get sympathy. I remember something like (not an exact quote) "I thought Christians could truly look past .... but I was wrong."
    Thats just what I thought. I did feel sorry for him. He had a terrible experience, and there were/are others who are just as guilty and are still sliding by.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

I've read the book. Jim Bakker says that "I Was Wrong" about pretty much everything except the financial mismanagement that got him put in prison.

10. archie

archie New Member

People remember the things he did. I wouldnt support anything he does but would forgive him.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

He said he was wrong.

I forgive him.

I won't support him again, however.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the financial stuff was later thrown out of court, considered bogus.

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have been trying to find his new ministries site, or sites that have a current update on what he is doing, without too much success. Any clues?

14. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Jim Bakker's prison experience humbled him. He was broken. I believe he has truly repented of his sin. He has certainly repudiated the "Prosperity Gospel" he once preached.