1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Job interviewers asking for facebook passwords

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by TC, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree with your husband:thumbs:

2. ChristianLady1978

ChristianLady1978 New Member

I agree with menageriekeeper's husband as well. Facebook has taken the place of calling someone or going to visit someone. There's far too much online activity and far too little actual human interaction in the world today. I had a Facebook account until recently. I personally found last year that I spent far too much time playing the games on there. I decided I wanted to sped a little less time on the computer and more time with my family. So I deleted my Facebook. (Yes, there is an option to delete your account with no possibility of recovery and that's what I chose to do.) It's amazing how many people started asking "What happened to your Facebook page?" They didn't seem to understand that I didn't want it anymore. I didn't use it much after I stopped playing the silly little games on there, like Castleville and Farmville.

Most recently my cousin and her husband had their son. She was actually posting Facebook status updates on her Facebook while in labor. I thought that was a bit extreme. She couldn't even take a break from Facebook to give birth! Enough was enough, and that was the last straw that led me to delete my account.

Good luck to any employers who want to find a Facebook page for me! LOL!

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Good for you, and I agree. We got rid of facebook a few years back. We don't worry or fret or concern ourselves with "what should we do about this facebook problem?" nor so with our kids.

People freak when they hear one doesn't have a facebook account.

#23 preacher4truth, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a FB account, but I don't use it. My wife does. I had to ask her about the privacy settings.

In the same article (link in the OP), there's a reference to 10 things you can't be asked at a job interview; I humbly submit that you can legally refuse to provide your Facebook password based on the following legal limitations:
    Employers can't ask about race.
    Can't ask about sexual preference.
    Can't ask about pregnancy or planned pregnancies.
    Can't ask about rehab, medical conditions, mental illness, or disabilities.
    Can't ask about religious preferences.
    Can't ask about age.
    Can't ask about worker's comp claims.

Since your Facebook profile could possibly answer any or even all of these, you legally have the option to refuse to provide your password. Since job applications legally ask about criminal records, using the excuse that they're looking at your Facebook page for indications of illegal activity is extremely weak.

Frankly, any question aimed at an individual's personal attributes, orientation, or personal background is not only off limits, but illegal. That said, the following guidelines are given by legal advice website Find Law:

#24 Don, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Good post Don! I think you have found the answer!

:thumbs:

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I don't play the games at all but do post about my life. Honestly, there is nothing on it that anyone can use in a bad way - even my posting about my injuries after the accident were done so knowing that the other guy's insurance company could use it against me if they wanted to (but it was mostly posts about still being in pain, going to PT and things like that - things that would support my statement of being injured).

But I love Facebook to keep in touch with people who I can't see daily. I understand your friend posting during labor - it's a way to keep people updated who are wondering what's going on. With my daughter's illness last year, we used Facebook a LOT to update people on her condition and to let them know how best to pray for us. It was an amazing tool that people told me later they appreciated because they knew just what was going on with her and they also knew how to help our family!

Like any other tool, Facebook can be good or bad - totally dependent on the user. If I see posts I don't like, I delete them. If I have someone I don't want to be in touch with, I don't friend them. But it's a GREAT way to keep in touch with friends and family from around the world. Used properly, I think it's a great tool.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interviewer: May I have your face book password?

Salty: Can you keep a secret?

Interviewer: Yes, I can

Salty: Well, so can I

Interviewer: What does that tell me about you, if you refuse to give me your password.

Salty: That means I would never pass on any secrets of this company to any competitor or any other unauthorized person.

You see the trick is when you have a negative, you make something positive out of it

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pretty sure that's sexual harassment, unless nudity is a part of the job function.

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't want to work for an employer who asked that.

I would immediately ask, "Is your intent to find information from my facebook account that you cannot ask me in an interview legally?"

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you will have no problem giving me your login information so I can look at everything in your account to see if you are worth working for? :smilewinkgrin:

12. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a facebook account, so I would have to tell them noway hosay. :laugh:

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I DO NOT HAVE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT!

(so there...)

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. preacher4truth

And that deserves 5 thumbsup, but I can only go up to 4 per BB 'rules.'

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

16. preacher4truth

TC & IntheLight...

:eek: NO WAY!!!!!!!

Get with the times man! :tongue3: :thumbsup: :laugh:

17. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't help it man. I am stuck in the 90's driving my rear wheel drive Ford Aerostar - rust and all.:smilewinkgrin:

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I work for the federal government. I'm sure they can see anything I put on facebook . . . or here.
    I tend to be careful what I post.
    I still think it's inappropriate and should be illegal for anyone to demand my password to ANYTHING. My boss is not even allowed to ask for my work password(s).

20. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.