1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

On another post, MennoSota said:
    First let's clarify what it means by the sovereignty of God:

One of the clear teachings of the Bible is the sovereignty of God. That means that nothing happens in the universe without God allowing it to happen. But just because God allows something to develop or happen doesn't mean that He is its Author or creator.

2. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Let's go to the book of Job.

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. 7 The Lord said to Satan, “From where do you come?” Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it.” 8 The Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil.” 9 Then Satan answered the Lord, “Does Job fear God for nothing? 10 Have You not made a hedge about him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But put forth Your hand now and touch all that he has; he will surely curse You to Your face.” 12 Then the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your power, only do not put forth your hand on him.So Satan departed from the presence of the Lord.

Here's some points we need to discuss:
    • God stated to Satan that Job was "a blameless and upright man"
    • Satan accuses Job of ulterior motive for "fearing God"
    • Satan says to God, "put forth Your hand ..."
    • God says to Satan, "all that he has is in your power" only you can't touch him
    Why did God allow Satan access to Job, his family and servants? After all, God stated that Job was "blameless" and shunned evil.

Satan had to get God's permission to move against Job. That's why Satan said, "put forth they YOUR hand". But ultimately it was Satan that did the work of destruction in Job's life.

3. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Q1: Who was responsible for allowing evil to come upon Job?

A1: God

Q2: Why did God allow it?

A2: To get that answer we must look at the book of Job

Q3: Who was to blame for the chaos that ensued?

A3: Satan

4. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

As I already stated God was responsible for allowing Satan into Job's life, but the real question is who is to blame for actually creating disaster?

From the messenger's point of view it was God:

verse 16 (Messenger to Job) “The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants, and consumed them; and I alone have escaped to tell you!”

Who did the messenger blame? Not Satan, but God. Clearly Satan was behind the chaos.

What was Job's response to this disaster?

"In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing."

Job didn't blame God for the hell that came down on his family and servants.

5. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He is the ordainer.

In Habakkuk, God tells the prophet that He (God) has raised up a wicked nation and a wicked king specifically to judge the people of Judah. God ordains evil humans and evil angels to accomplish His sovereign will.

Nothing happens, either good or evil, that God has not ordained. He takes evil and brings good out of that evil to his children. He weaves the dark threads with the light threads to make his glorious tapesty. Our opinion of what God is doing is irrelevant in every facet. God is not beholden to our opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    See Habakkuk for your answer.

God uses wickedness to accomplish His sovereign will.

Job was not perfect. When God calls Job blameless, God is not saying perfect. We know that God is not perfect because God rebukes Job later in the book. He reminds Job that Job is a small, inferior, creation who has no grasp of what God is doing. Job is humbled to the core. This is true with us when we dare to think that God, in ordaining suffering, is somehow "sadistic" in ordaining suffering or creating people different from what "we" consider perfect human beings.

7. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There was no chaos. It was always under God's complete sovereign control.

Satan is a miniscule little gnat before God. Don't give him more respect than he deserves.

God is in control and God uses evil, like Satan, to accomplish his (God's) sovereign purpose. Job makes that very clear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

That would be out of context, now wouldn't it? Why not stay with the immediate context?

9. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Very good observation, but Job viewed himself as perfect:

Job to God: "Let God weigh me (Job) in honest scales and he will know that I am blameless" Job:31:6

Elihu to Job: "But you have said in my hearing-- I heard the very words-- 9 'I am pure and without sin; I am clean and free from guilt." Job 33:8

10. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

No, no, no....It is not God's will that any suffer. God is love; He does not have Satan's attributes. Be very careful what you lay at the feet of the Lord.

11. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why?

God answers Habakkuk in regards to God using the wicked Babylonians to accomplish His will.

The entire Bible is God's word and it speaks to answer your question about Job.

12. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Ex 33:18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.” 19 And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

13. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are twisting Job's words. Job didn't say perfect. Job said that the suffering that came up in him was not due to Job sinning. Job had searched his heart and could see no moral failure to be the reason for his suffering

In Job we see people who have created a theology of God and the circumstances of events caused them to try make the circumstances fit their theology. In essence, Job, is the first religious discussion forum. The thing is...Job and his "friends" were all wrong. They tried to pigeonhole God into their created theology and God would have no part in it. God rebukes them all and shows them how ignorant they are in regard to knowing Him.

Job was by no means, perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

But context is always better...otherwise it is just cutting & pasting ideas and words together to make up your particular view....

15. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The context fits.

16. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

New International Version
    I am pure, I have done no wrong; I am clean and free from sin.
    New Living Translation
    You said, 'I am pure; I am without sin; I am innocent; I have no guilt.
    English Standard Version
    You say, ‘I am pure, without transgression; I am clean, and there is no iniquity in me.New American Standard Bible
    'I am pure, without transgression; I am innocent and there is no guilt in me.
    King James Bible
    I am clean without transgression, I am innocent; neither is there iniquity in me.

May I remind you of 1 John 1:8 "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

17. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

No Sir, it's not the immediate context. The subject is Job. Got it?

18. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

There is a reason that God no longer held "the destroyer" back. That reason was because Job was self-deceived by his own self-righteousness.

19. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Job's self-righteousness:

"Let God weigh me (Job) in honest scales and he will know that I am blameless" [Job:31:6]

God, through Elihu, rebukes Job:

Job 33:8 "But you have said in my hearing-- I heard the very words-- 9 'I am pure and without sin; I am clean and free from guilt."

Job 36:1 Elihu continued: 2 "Bear with me a little longer and I will show you that there is more to be said in God's behalf...

Job's problem:

Job 32:1 Then these three men ceased answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. 2 But the anger of Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite, of the family of Ram burned; against Job his anger burned because he justified himself before God.

20. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Job 35:1 (Elihu to Job) Do you think it is just when you say, "I am righteous before God"? (HCS)

Within the context of Job chapter 35, Elihu says:

"So Job opens his mouth with empty talk; without knowledge he multiplies words." (Job 35:16)

In other words Job is self-deceived in his claims to righteousness.

The question is does God agree with what Elihu stated? Remember Elihu claims to speak in God's behalf (see Job 36:1).

Job 38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said: 2 "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?"

This is the first time God speaks directly to Job. So when did God first counsel Job?

Answer: Through Elihu!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.