1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joe Lieberman: I'll block vote on Harry Reid's plan

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Oct 27, 2009.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28788.html

Joe Lieberman: I'll block vote on Harry Reid's plan

By MANU RAJU | 10/27/09 1:38 PM EDT
    Updated: 10/27/09 3:23 PM EDTText Size- + reset

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) said Tuesday that he’d back a GOP filibuster of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s health care reform bill.

Lieberman, who caucuses with Democrats and is positioning himself as a fiscal hawk on the issue, said he opposes any health care bill that includes agovernment-run insurance program — even if it includes a provision allowing states to opt out of the program, as Reid has said the Senate bill will.

"We're trying to do too much at once," Lieberman said. “To put this government-created insurance company on top of everything else is just asking for trouble for the taxpayers, for the premium payers and for the national debt. I don’t think we need it now."

Lieberman added that he’d vote against a public option plan “even with an opt-out because it still creates a whole new government entitlement program for which taxpayers will be on the line."

His comments confirmed that Reid is short of the 60 votes needed to advance the bill out of the Senate, even after Reid included the opt-out provision.

2. targus

targus New Member

Even so, it remains to be seen whether some RINO votes in favor of it instead of Lieberman.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lieberman really confuses me. On the one hand, he's done some really great things and has been the lone voice of reason in the Democrat party.

On the other, I have a very hard time reconciling that with some of the things he said and did in the 2000 campaign.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

good for Joe!