1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JOEL OSTEEN & Larry King

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Phillipians121, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Phillipians121

Phillipians121 New Member

Did anyone see the show last night? I really do not know anything about this guy, first time I have heard of him. But something about him didn't set right. His constant smiling and not dealing with sin and accepting all faiths in his church really bothered me.

Maybe others know something I missed...is he legit?

2. Joe

Joe New Member

He mentiones hell, and his belief in Jesus Christ. :thumbs:

I didn't see it on TV, but here's a partial transcript from this link

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0506/20/lkl.01.html

KING: Do you share Billy's (Graham) beliefs of life after death in a sense of going somewhere?

OSTEEN: I do. I do. We probably agree on 99 percent. I do. I believe there's a heaven you know. Afterwards, there's, you know, a place called hell. And I believe it's when we have a relationship with God and his son Jesus and that's what the Bible teaches us. I believe it. KING: But you have rules, don't you?

OSTEEN: We do have rules. But the main rule to me is to honor God with your life. To life a life of integrity. Not be selfish. You know, help others. But that's really the essence of the Christian faith.

KING: That we live in deeds?

OSTEEN: I don't know. What do you mean by that?

KING: Because we've had ministers on who said, your record don't count. You either believe in Christ or you don't. If you believe in Christ, you are, you are going to heaven. And if you don't no matter what you've done in your life, you ain't.

OSTEEN: Yeah, I don't know. There's probably a balance between. I believe you have to know Christ. But I think that if you know Christ, if you're a believer in God, you're going to have some good works. I think it's a cop-out to say I'm a Christian but I don't ever do anything ...

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, he's been on Larry King before and wouldn't say whether or not you need Jesus to get to heaven. It was bad. He's pretty much a 'happy' preacher - nothing negative - definately says things to 'tickle their ears'. I don't think he's legit at all. Here's more info on him from Hank Hanagraff's site:

http://www.equip.org/free/JAO170.htm

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Sorry to hear that. I watched Rick Warren on Larry King and it was a similar situation. Maybe Joel Osteen was criticized for his last Larry King interview so decided to better confront the hard issues regarding Christianity

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Have known about Osteen for a long time. I watched many, many of his broadcasts and have researched him. I have his book.

He is basically Word Faith but comes across more like a motivational positive thinker like Norman Vincent Peale. This is because there is New Thought thinking in the Word Faith movement - basically, that if you think certain things, you can make them happen. This is a poisonous and unbiblical doctrine (and is also a mainstay and forerunner of the New Age, which I lecture on).

Peale was a student of Ernest Holmes' teachings, as is Schuller. Holmes co-founded the Church of Religious Science, one of the early New Thought churches that still exists (the other two biggies are the Unity School of Christianity and the Christian Science church - Mary Baker Eddy was a follower of Phineas Quimby, who was New Thought).

New Thought can sound very Christian, though it isn't.

I heard Osteen say (in his Easter message, 2005) that Jesus had to go to hell and fight Satan. This is a hardcore Word of Faith heresy that denies the atonement was completed on the cross, which is an essential of the faith denied by Word Faith teachers.

Bottom line - most of Osteen's teachings are at the very least problematic and unbiblical, but his glossy, polished delivery is very popular and his influence will grow. I believe we are in the time when people are gathering around them teachers who tickle their ears.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - I hear so many - and all women - who love what he says. He just "feels"so good. :BangHead:

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Either John 14:6 is true or it is false.

Osteen makes my skin crawl.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

His dad was a former Southern Baptist.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What does this have to do with anything?

10. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

As far as I can tell, his Dad was an ordained Southern Baptist minister until the day he died. He never revoked his ordinatior, or was disfellowshipped, from the last Baptist congregation where he was a member, and it appeared in his resume.

I did watch the show last night, I've read his book, and I think his problem is that his entire ministry is built around his personality, since his theology doesn't seem to run very deep. It's mostly pop theology borrowed from television ministries of the past couple of decades.

But then, what makes him any different than any two dozen Southern Baptist or IFB megachurch pastors who have built churches around their personalities rather than on Christ? The megachurch is an unbiblical abberation of the church that Christ envisioned, and that the first century Christians established. The fact that these churches are built on the personality of their pastor is evidenced by how quickly they decline, and the troubles they have during their fall, once he dies. Lakewood is a good example.

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Deleted post

#11 Joe, Dec 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  12. Joe

Joe New Member

John 14:6 (King James Version)
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me

I'm not sure if Osteen or Warren truely believe this

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why do you put Rick Warren with Osteen?? As far as I know, Warren is not preaching the Word of Faith stuff and I don't think he preaches that there's any other way to be saved. (Of course, I haven't read the huge threads about him, so if there's something big, I guess I could find out over there).

14. Joe

Joe New Member

I made no comment on either of their preachings. I do not know of the threads you speak of or what you will find while you are there. I don't know of any word of faith stuff (whatever that means) you refer to, nor did I put them together. Please read my posts. I only spoke of a few ironic similarities regarding their interviews on Larry King, the topic of discussion.

#14 Joe, Dec 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  15. Phillipians121

Phillipians121 New Member

Well that's some good English from Mr. King LOL

See what I mean about this Osteen guy? Wishy washy answer, either Jesus is the ONLY way like I heard him say or he isn't! Most everyone believes in God....Satan and his demons believe in God and tremble the bible says.

I agree he is an ear tickler and people like that these days.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Was Rick Warren wishy washy on Larry King? He was on Larry King?? LOL!

17. mnw

mnw New Member

I have heard about Osteen but that's the first I've really read anything he actually said.

From the transcript there seemed to be nothing clear about salvation, but plenty about not knowing, making people feel good and being a nice guy.

As a first observation I can see why one poster said Osteen makes his skin crawl...

18. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Sure, he's legit: A legitimate false teacher.

He's not as bad a flaming heretic as his dad was, but listening to that dreadful "Gospel According to Oprah" that he preaches, it's pretty clear that the apple didn't fall to far from that tree.

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

His dad was a pentecostal that pretended to be a southern baptist.

When caught, he went AG . . . (if I remeber correctly)

Nothing against the AG - but they are not SBC. They are mostly conservative, but they are NOT baptist.

IMHO.

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Politically motivated preaching to maintain a politically correct world is (IMHO) just plain foolishness.

And he (sometimes) makes my skin craw as well . . .