1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joel Osteen vs. Andy Stanley

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 7, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just listened to a Andy Stanley sermon. The content was decent and in a way he taught kinda like David Platt. He is not Reformed and I do not agree with him in all areas, however he has the basic gospel down. Osteen however teaches all about YOU and this is more evident in his new book "Break Out" or others such as "Your Best Life Know" and "Everyday is a Friday." I used to think that Andy and Joel were best of buds and brothers. However I was wrong.... Andy is encouraging people to donate to his ministry so he can help others. http://berich.yourmove.is

Osteen however would only encourage donations to fund his sinful pleasures.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We've listened to Stanley many times and he's definitely got some good stuff there. :)

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never listened to him, I'll have to check him out. I like his dad.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Be Rich is an annual "campaign" that we do to raise money to impact our local community through many and varied ministry actions. We assist schools, support and work in local food banks, help financially struggling small churches and many other activities in our local town. Driving this campaign is the realization that we cannot help everyone....but we can help someone. The point is not "the social gospel" but rather "to put our money and time where our mouth is" and make serious attempts to engage and impact our local town and culture.

5. quantumfaith

Be Rich is an annual "campaign" that we do to raise money to impact our local community through many and varied ministry actions. We assist schools, support and work in local food banks, help financially struggling small churches and many other activities in our local town. Driving this campaign is the realization that we cannot help everyone....but we can help someone. The point is not "the social gospel" but rather "to put our money and time where our mouth is" and make serious attempts to engage and impact our local town and culture.

James 2:14-18

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's your proof of this?

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes he spoke like David Platt in the message. He is not reformed but the message was Biblical. Perhaps this is the reason why John MacArthur has never mentioned him in a sermon. Mac will usually point out the false doctrines of those that teach another gospel, but those that are not Reformed and Biblical he ignores.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah he was Biblical no doubt. Not reformed and a little seeker friendly, but still he was Biblical and had the basic gospel down.

9. quantumfaith

1. Reformed has nothing to do with it
    2. It would not matter to me if JM did mention him.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been MacArthur associate Phil Johnson leading the blast against Andy Stanley.

At this year's 'Shepherds' conference:

"that's about as wrongheaded as anything you will ever hear from an actual ordained minister"

http://www.thegracelifepulpit.com/Sermons.aspx?code=2013-03-06A-PJ

["Phil is the executive Director of Grace to You,a Christian tape and radio ministry featuring the preaching ministry of John MacArthur. Phil has been closely associated with John MacArthur since 1981 and edits most of MacArthur's major books."]

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm glad to see you have changed your perception of Stanley :thumbs:

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not like I am going to fully endorse him, however I found no evidence to indicate that he and Osteen are brothers in their doctrines. Osteen is a false teacher whom has another gospel, and Andy Stanley has there basic gospel down. I have noticed that David Jeremiah has said some good things about Andy, but despises Joel Osteen! MacArthur however hates Andy and Joel.