1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joel Osteen

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JRG39402, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I wasn't aware of it being a "New Thought" (mind science) thing...when the Old Testament speaks about the tongue.

Pro 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Pro 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

Isa 3:8 For Jerusalem is ruined, and Judah is fallen: because their tongue and their doings are against the LORD, to provoke the eyes of his glory.

James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

1Peter 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

I have always heard watch what you say. The bible warns us about the tongue. I don't know if its a new thought, but its a teaching that has been put under the table and hid for too long.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, our words have consequences. But this has nothing to do with altering reality with our thoughts or words. Altering reality with our thoughts is not in the Bible; this is a form of sorcery/occult magick.

Do you believe it is biblical to sit there and think: "My sister/whoever will give me a new car" and believe that if you think or say this enough, she will do it? Do you believe that if you are afraid someone sick will die, they will die because you thought it? Do you say words to alter reality, such as affirmations? This is what New Thought is.

Incantations and spells in witchcraft and visualization in ceremonial magick are based on the principles that you alter reality with your will through words, rituals, and thoughts. This is partly what Osteen teaches. That is why he says in his book that you must say God's blessings out loud, or you don't get them. This is NOT biblical; it's occultic.

2. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

Exodus 20:24b In all places where I record my name, I will come unto thee and I will bless thee.

Doesn't say you have to invoke Him, but just be where His name is recorded.

No magic needs to be involved in receiving a blessing from the Lord.

3. eschatologist

eschatologist New Member

On The Larry King Show(CNN) he would NOT admit that those who fail to accept Christ would not be saved, even though he was asked repeatedly over and over again by Larry King. He received a lot of flack for that later.

4. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Marcia,

You said, 'This is partly what Osteen teaches. That is why he says in his book that you must say God's blessings out loud, or you don't get them. This is NOT biblical; it's occultic.'

[Quote} I thought we have the right to stand on the promises coming from the Lord, whether we say them in the quietness of our hearts or verbally.

I guess you never sang in your church, "Standing On The Promises.' '. . . of Christ my King.

Let's just pick apart every man or woman of God as our 'indoor sport.'

Anyone want a go at it for Rev. Dr. Stanley from Atlanta or Joyce Meyers? He did not remarry and yet some of the Pharisaical Baptists are still running him into the ground.

I always say until you can get the crowds out to hear the Word's of Jesus our Lord, as some of these men and women, then it is best to keep our mouths closed.

What say the rest of the people? [/Quote].

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

http://www.letusreason.org/Popteac17.htm

You asked about Joyce Meyers?
    DHK

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

DHK,

I do not believe your allegation about Rev. T.D. Jakes. I have heard him preach several times on television and never heard him say anything that was not orthodox in belief.

Is there any pastor or evangelist who you like?

Regards,
    Ray

7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think Rev Jakes speaks about the Holy Spirit and speaks about the Father, but I heard that he believes Jesus is all three and He alone is playing each role independently. This is what I heard, I never went looking for myself.

God Bless!

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not every TV evangelist gets up and announces: "Now listen up, Here is all the heresy that I believe in:" :rolleyes:
    Neither would such webpages as I directed you post such information if it were not true. Slander and libel make good fodder for law suits.
    What you think is of no consequence. Try researching the truth about these preachers instead. Let us not deal in opionions, but rather in facts.
    DHK

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Ray Berrian wrote:

So, it's Ok if a preacher preaches a false gospel as long as they use the Bible sometimes? If they're charismatic enough to draw a big crowd, you're Ok with that even if they don't believe a basic doctrine like the Deity of Christ? You're Ok with preaching to a big crowd even if the preaching is full of Word of Faith nonsense? If there is any teaching that speaks to itching ears, it's Word of Faith.

10. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

I think Charles Stanley is pretty good.

11. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Dear Guests,

If you are here and you are reading this, the you're interested in the subject.

Marcia said:That is why he says in his book that you must say God's blessings out loud, or you don't get them. This is NOT biblical; it's occultic.

Tam says: It is not occult to say things that are not as though they were.

Romans 4-17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

Marcia, if we go by what you said, you are calling God a lier! Is that the case?

Like Music posted,

Pro 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

That scripture means you get what you say.

There is a reason why the word death is mentioned first in that scripture, it is because it is much easier to speak defeat, and stuff that is not of faith, than it is to say things that are not as though they were.

Matthew 15-18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

If the bad things we speak can defile us, then it stands tp reason that if we speak good things that would be better!!

Then in Rev 1-3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

In this case it is talking about the book of Revelation, and the prophecy that is in it. But if you hear it, then someone has to say it.

Phil 4-8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

If we are to think on these things, then that would be what comes out of our mouthes.

That being said, we don't use this to "claim" new corvettes, mansions, etc.

But if I want to claim that I am healed, and I say it out loud in faith, am I to believe that is wrong?

1 Peter 2-24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

If you don't believe it, then don't say it.

Perhaps that is why some people never see victory, because they go around with a mealy mouthed attitude spewing out unbelief in the things God can do, with a defeated attitude.

Selah,

Tam

12. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I have been trying to hold my tongue and not join in the fun in bashing the Osteen, but I can't sit by while people tear apart beautiful words of Gospel to defend the feel good heresies of that man.

It helps when people actually keep things in their context. Romans makes no mention of speaking things out to get some material blessings. Abraham did nothing to recieve the blessing, he didn't speak it, he didn't get through the power of positive thinking. He got it because God promised it. He trusted that God would give it because God had given Him reason to trust, not because He said it out loud. If Osteen actually said what he said, and I don't doubt it after hearing him speak, he is trying to turn the Promises of God into a mystical incantation.

Actually, Matt 12:36 sheds some light on this Proverb. "Matthew 12:36-37 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." " It means that those who are righteous will reflect it in their speach. Not name it, claim it.

That I find hard to believe when people such as Joyce Meyers are under investigation for tax fraud, live in 4 million dollar homes, buy multimillion dollar homes for their kids, and have salaries that dwarf the budget of most churches.

These people are preaching a feel good psyco-babble that is taking advantage of desperate people and causing great distress in those who are suffering and wondering do they have faith? Because they are naming it just like Mr. Osteen and Mrs. Meyers said but they sure aren't getting better.

The excuse for crowds is lame, I wouldn't be surprised if the feel good false prophets of the OT times drew large crowds themselves.

13. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Think what you want my friend. I will not recant my post!! Nothing I said was about so-called "psyco babel".

I am also not talking about the high profile people you see on T.V. I don't know what they think or do, I just know what the word tells me.

Peace,

Tam

14. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I am not surprised.

15. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Not surprised about what??

16. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

That you won't recant in the face of the obviousness that you are maintaining a faulty position.

Osteen has condemned himself as a false prophet by denying that Jesus is the only source of salvation.

True you didn't have psycho-babble just bad exegesis.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not defending Osteen in the least, but where did he say this?

18. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

My position is not faulty, it's your understanding that is flawed!

Peace,

Tam

P.S. I'm not defending Osteen either, I am defending the Bible, and what it says.

19. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

He denied it in the interview on Larry King.

Once again Tam if you are going to assert something then you need to prove it. I may be overly blunt but at least I had the courtesy to back up my assertions, while you on the other hand...

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Tam, the passages you cite do not support what Osteen teaches. As Chemnitz said, those passages do not say we must say things blessings in order to get them.

As I posted earlier, our words do have consequences, as the Bible tells us. If I gossip or blaspheme or lie, etc. there will be consequences. But the consequences are to the words I am saying and their effects on the truth or on people, etc. It's not that the words themselves have a magical power or that I can have power by using certain words. That is occultic -- it's one of the basic foundational beliefs of the occult.