John 11:26

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by KayDee, Feb 12, 2004.

1. KayDee

KayDee
    Expand Collapse

John 11:26

and everyone who lives and believes in Me shall never die (unto/into the age). Do you believe this?”

The Greek seems to have the phrase that is added in parentheses above, which is not in the English translations that I have. One had a footnote that said the Greek reads “never to die forever.” But I don’t see the connection there. I discovered this when looking at an Interlinear New Testament. Can anyone explain to me what this would mean and why it was left out.

In His Grace
    KayDee

2. russell55

russell55
    Expand Collapse

Because what literally says "unto the age" means "forever" in the Greek. I suppose the "forever" isn't tranlated because it makes for awkward English, and its pretty much included in the "never" anyway.....

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows
    Expand Collapse

11:26 και πας ο ζων και πιστευων εις εμε ου μη αποθανη *εις τον αιωνα* πιστευεις τουτο

Neat passage! The text between the *s means lierally "into the age". The is idiomatic and is best translated "forever".

This passage is also interesting in that it employs an emphatic subjunctive with a double negative! Literally - anyone who believes on me WILL NOT die!

4. KayDee

KayDee
    Expand Collapse

Thank you!!! I appreciate your help.

In His Grace
    KD

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Weakness in the English language and the minds of the translators. I see the point here - we feel it "implied" so we do not give a formal equivalence (word for word) translation. Sad.

If a person simply reads Jesus saying, "All the ones living and believing in Me shall never die", they can rightly assume He is saying THEY WON'T DIE! And of course, it is appointed to all men to die. Physically.

What Jesus said here, if the Greek text were honestly translated, is "All the ones living and believing in Me shall not eternally die". or "die forever".

That gives clear indication that we are talking about SPIRITUAL death. We still all will die physically.

Glitch in the language today, not in the original message of the Lord!