1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John 14:12, Do You Believe On Jesus?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Stegley, Jan 8, 2014.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You mean John 14:12:
    John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

In John 12:14 Jesus comes riding into Jerusalem on the foal of an ass, as a King.

Do not challenge others with this verse unless you can demonstrate it with your own life, lest you be a hypocrite.

2. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Whenever someone other than yourself, Steave, comes up with a thought, question, or insight which touches one of your buttons, please always remember to get defensive, find an ad hominem, and obfuscate the question by babbling some scripture. Doing this will preserve your dignity.

3. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Nice job. Now you will have to forgive me for something else. I assume that as a missionary your agency has in place a policy to easily forgive the stupid natives who speak and act on error. Remember, large minded forgiveness, as part of gracious kindness, is a large part of being patronizing and condescending to needy hearts.

Lol.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Scripture is not "Babel". I pray you would repent of your blasphemies against God.

And we all see that you have no answer, and you have been asked repeatedly.

5. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

You cannot rejoice. It is a walk, faith to faith, it builds. It happens about 5 out of 100 now, used to be only two. But when that 1st miracle happened I was convinced. There is nothing like answered prayer thanks Jesus!

6. plain_n_simple

You cannot rejoice, get some love from Him!

7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, Amen! Praise Jesus for your testimony!

However, I believe you brought up the issue of cessationism and associated it with your testimony, correct? I was addressing this connection you made. Do you see the difference between us praying in faith for healing and say Peter laying on hands and God healing ALL??

8. plain_n_simple

There is no difference. When you lay hands on someone, you pray. Peter had to walk it out until everyone was healed everytime. He did not start out as perfect. He learned as he went. That is the goal. I have not been perfected, but watching someone healed is amazing! It builds and builds and is all good for His glory.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Consider Scripture:

1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
    29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
    30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

In verse 28 the various gifts are listed, and they are listed in order of importance. Notice:
    FIRST apostles,
    SECONDARILY, prophets,
    THIRDLY, teachers,
    AFTER THAT, miracles,
    THEN, gifts of healings...diversitings of tongues.

Notice that the gift of healing is in the last group, with speaking in tongues being the least important of all the gifts, and yet these gifts are given the greatest importance in our society today. Of greater importance than these gifts is the gift of teaching which we still have today according to Eph.4:11.
    We don't have the apostles today.
    Prophecy has ceased (1Cor.13:8), and thus the function of a prophet has ceased. The sign gifts have also ceased which include most of the rest of the gifts. They were given primarily to the apostles as signs of their authenticity and that their message was authentic. They were also given as revelatory gifts.
    The revelation is complete. We have the completed Word of God.
    The apostles are dead. They don't need to be authenticated as God's messengers.
    The gifts therefore have ceased.

There is no one on this planet that can heal as Peter healed in Acts 5:16. I have given that challenge many times, and no one can ever point to a single individual who has that gift, where one person can heal ALL who come to him without bias. It doesn't happen.

The gift of tongues is the gift of speaking in languages. Even Charismatic missionaries have to learn the language of foreign nations to which they are called. God doesn't miraculously bestow upon them the gift of that language of that nation. That would be a demonstration of the real gift of tongues/languages--not some gibberish which we hear today.

I have seen no one demonstrate the gift of miracles--no one.
    Can you walk on water; calm the seas; feed five thousand with a few fish and loaves of bread, turn water into wine, etc.
    No one can do these things. There is no such thing as the gift of miracles today. It has ceased.

10. plain_n_simple

In you experience it does not exist. If miracles did happen around you, you have to rationalize why you dont do them, then use the bible to shore up your unbelief, or be out of a ob lol.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Charismatic bases his belief on his experience. Experience is his foundation and then doctrine arises out of it.
    My foundation is the Bible. My experiences follow after.
    The Bible teaches that these "gifts" have ceased. It does not teach that miracles in and of themselves have ceased, but that the gift has ceased. In my post I gave examples of how they have ceased. If you can give examples from my post of those who have the gift perhaps I will believe. But to my knowledge there is no one alive that has these "gifts." No one to verify or authenticate them either.

12. plain_n_simple

That which is "perfect", has not come. It is to your advantage that the teaching that gifts have ceased, you have no excuse. Your experience does not reflect biblical teachings, a twist of definition has excused.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yes "it" has, and I emphasize "it" because the article before the Greek teleios indicates that word is a neuter -- without gender reference and indicative of an inanimate object or thought. Jesus does not fit that description, therefore the passage is not talking about Jesus, as I'm sure you believe. It is talking about the canon of Scripture, which when completed in 96 AD, rendered both the "signs and wonders" gifts, as confirming the message of Christ, and the need for knowledge, independent of the written word, obsolete. The changed lives of the Christian and the inerrant Word of God provide the evidence of the efficacy of Christ.

14. plain_n_simple

A face is not an it either. The face is Jesus.

15. plain_n_simple

I can tell you this, there is a shift already happening in the body. Churches not walking in the power will have their candlestick removed.

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

You can come face-to-face with your destiny, your past, your fears, or as Thayer's states, outward circumstances or external conditions. You can come face to face with the Bible. "Face to face" does not have to refer to meeting a person. It was more often applied in the Greek to circumstances and objects than it was to meeting a person.
    I don't see anything in Revelation about "walking in the power." That's an absurd statement garnered from your illogical doctrine that removes personality from the Holy Spirit and makes Him a thing to be craved, captured, used and abused.

17. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

In 2013: 4 people, that I can recall specifically, on whom i physically laid hands along with other elders, were healed. One of cáncer.

At an unchurched man's house, who accepted my work as "in the name of Jesus" watched as we prayed, and the weather over his house obeyed, in direct opposition to the t.v. reports in the next room. I found his house's problem, that several contractors and insurance inspectors had missed. The ins. co. honored my assessment, paíd him 4 times what they were going to, and I did the work for that amount...1/2 the estimated cost by the next lowest bid. That Man and I talk regularly. He is in church now, and claims that God visited his home. He knows that God changed the weather, as his servants asked.

There are many more miracles, and I havent told the 1/2 of the ones that I relayed.

The illiterate are now reading. The ghetto bastards are married, raising children for God.
    The addict is free. Jaime is now the program Cook, an employee, well beloved. I sent her there in July.
    One of several, that had a radical life change.

Havent raised any dead, but sinners have been given life.

I have no idea if this fits your criteria, you seem to be an Azusa St. Wannabe seeking occasion against Baptists.
    But this is my life, praise The Lord.

18. plain_n_simple

Praise God for the miracles and the compliment!:thumbs:

19. plain_n_simple

The Shepard that walks in the power does not send his sheep to strangers for care.
    The hireling does not have love for the sheep, so he sends them to strangers for care.
    The pastor that walks in the power has to have faith to use the gifts.
    The hireling needs no faith to send a church member to a stranger to do the good work.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you go to doctors? Do you take any kind of medication? Even an aspirin or Tylenol? anything at all?
    Do you lay hands on your car, truck, etc., when it gets "sick"?
    Did you know that Paul traveled with a Physician. His name was Luke.
    --One of the earliest letters to be written was the first epistle to the Corinthians (ca. 55 A.D.). As time passed the gifts of the Spirit passed into oblivion. They were no longer needed. As the Book of Acts goes on chronologically, the gifts of the Spirit are used less and less.
    And what strangers do you see for your physical ailments? My answer is the same as above?
    Then the faith is blind. The Bible teaches there are no spiritual gifts for today, not the sign gifts anyway. If you put faith in something that does not exist it is blind and foolishness.
    That is like taking a placebo. It is like sugar but it does no real good. It describes the entire Charismatic movement.