1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 20:23

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by FundamentalBaptist02, Sep 18, 2006.

1. FundamentalBaptist02

John 20:23 KJV Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

What does this verse mean? Did Jesus actually grant the apostles the power to forgive sins?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

It is a reference to those in open sin (sin others know one is doing)
    They are not literally forgiving sins (like God in removing them) but if they (the sinning party) have sought forgiveness from God first and His people (since it was an open sin) the apostles (or those in authority over Gods people) were the mouth piece -so to speak- that just as God has forgiven them so too do Gods people and open that fellowship once more without hinderence and or rememberance (continuously being brought up)

That's my nickle.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

When Jesus says I am giving you the keys, I took that to be the gospel. Whoever believes will have their sin's remitted. Whoever rejects will retain their sin's.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually, though what I wrote is correct, it IS NOT in the context of what you asked. Sorry. I agree with LeBuick concerning his thoughts on the scriptures context.

:tonofbricks: