1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 20

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by rivers1222, Oct 25, 2004.

1. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Jesus speaking to Mary Magdalene:

Jonh 20 : 17 Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father.

Jesus speaking to Thomas:

John 20: 27
    Then He said to Thomas, " Put your fingers here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

Was it a cultural thing?

Did something happen in the time frame between Mary M. and Thomas?

This was brought up in a sermon yesterday and I appreciate your responses...thank you.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Jesus's words to Mary were really, "Do not cling to me." In other words, He had a short time left on earth and needed to do things. Also, maybe it was to show her he was not back in the same way -- he was not going to be around for a long time and she could not think that. It does not mean he was not in a physical body (as some interpret this); He was.

One commentary says
    When Jesus talked to Thomas, it was to show Thomas it was really the crucified Christ who had risen. We can be thankful for Thomas because this passage lays to rest any doubts about Jesus having resurrected in a physical body that still bore the scars of the crucifixion.

3. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Very informative response Marcia....Thank You.

4. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Marcia, I agree!!!!