1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 3:16 and Salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by StraightAndNarrow, Jul 1, 2006.

?
  1. Yes. It's a very important verse on eternal salvation.

32 vote(s)
    91.4%
  2. No. It has little or nothing to do with eternal salvation.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Then, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what it is. Since "water" and "spirit" are joined by the same preposition, both have to be literal or both have to be spiritual.

And, "batpizmo" is the word for "baptism" ("baptism" is simply a transliteration), but the word here is "water".

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Most people forget that Peter denied Jesus. Although some claim it was simply lip service or "he didn't really mean it", Matthew 26:72 tells us that he denied him with an oath and feigned not even knowing his name, then a couple of verses later, he starts cursing to emphasize his denial.

Being denied does not equal being unsaved, but being rejected for an entrance into the coming Kingdom.

Satan is currently ruling from this position, but Jesus will one day step in and take the reigns, and we have the opportunity to join him, if we deny ourselves today.

"Perishing" has to do with losing one's life, not becoming unsaved. This can only apply to saved people, as you cannot lose something you don't have.

And, DPT, it's ironic that you bring up the Catholics, because from my personal experience with them, they seem to mention the resurrection only in passing, and they also concentrate only on a works-based salvation, just from a different angle than that which is being presented here by you, Rev Mitchell, and others.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Then you would be incorrect too :)

I never said He offered a temporary physical kingdom. The physical/earthly kingdom was already offered and promised to Israel. Don't put words in my mouth.

You are right in the fact that He didn't say 1,000 years. But that doesn't mean He didn't teach about His coming kingdom which will last 1,000 years according to comparing Scripture with Scripture which is what you are failing to do.

You say if it doesn't directly say 1,000 years then that's not what He is talking about, but again you are incorrect because you don't compare Scripture with Scripture.

That's because it's not.

Well unfortunately you have fallen into the same trap as the majority of Christendom. Go back and look at the original Greek word which has incorrectly been translated everlasting or eternal. The word is aionios, which is an adjective of the Greek word aion. Aion means age. A definite beginning and a definite end. The adjective form is age-lasting. So the life that John 3:16 is age-lasting life. Life for the coming age. What is the coming age? The coming kingdom of Christ, which will last an age (1,000 years).

God's Scriptures as truely AMAZING. They build on each other and compliment each other and it just flows if we will let it.

No it doesn't.

That's because they don't know any difference. They have been taught all their life that it was dealing with eternal salvation. But it's not.

And Jesus was dealing with eternally saved people already.

Well you can try to convince yourself as much as you want. Following Christ is a work. Continual believing is based on you and not on Christ. Just because you keep telling yourself over and over that what you believe is true, doesn't make it so.

Please show me a single OT and a single NT Scripture that says resurrection is required for the payment of sin. If you can't then it doesn't have anything to do with eternal salvation.

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Mat 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

This is talking about eternal salvation. I don't know why you feel the need to twist all these familiar and straightforward texts about eternal salvation into untruths about the possible Millenium but that's exactly what you're doing. Notice that again here Jesus talks about the requirement to "pick up our cross and follow Him." Ignore it at your peril.:Fish:

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That's the whole key to the passage. This is talking about someone doing something. Therefore we KNOW without a doubt it is NOT talking about eternal salvation as you say.

If it was speaking of eternal salvation then this Scripture passage would be in direct violation and contradict Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 16:30-31 and Romans 4 & 5.

So it is in fact you that are twisting Scripture.

Context is king and you are ripping this passage from its context to make it fit your theology.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

If you choose to believe that you earn your spiritual salvation, then that is your right, but it doesn't make you correct. Works, are works, are works, no matter how you try to decorate them up.

If you must do all these things to be saved, then you are working your own way, through your own power; you are saved by yourself, and not the finished work of the Lord Jesus on the cross.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Re Jn 3.5 - The NET Bible has an interesting note on this:

A "teacher of Israel" like Nicodemus would be expected to know what Jesus was talking about because he would know these passages. One thing the Pharisees knew were the OT scriptures. It doesn't mean Nicodemus was saved (as someone here asserted - can't recall who now).

#67 Marcia, Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  8. StraightAndNarrow

So anyone who does anything for the Lord is doomed to Hell and those who simply "talk a good game" are in great shape? Not.

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

What in the world are you talking about. Why do you take a quote of mine that take it out of its context and then say something silly like the above quote.

Nowhere have I said that someone that is walking in the Spirit producing works that will stand the test of fire (gold, silver, precious stones) is doomed to hell, while someone that simply talks a good game is in great shape.

Please quit putting words in my mouth. If you want to deal with Scripture that is one thing, but accusing someone of saying something they didn't say is something totally different. Just stick to Scripture and we'll be okay.

10. StraightAndNarrow

You claim that context is all important to you. Then why did you cite Eph 2:8-9 without including verse 10. This passage is a good example of what I'm talking about, not salvation through works but of necessity good works as a result of a true salvation experience.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
    Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

11. StraightAndNarrow

You have said that whether someone talks a good game or "is walking in the Spirit producing works that will stand the test of fire" is completely irrelevant to their salvation. That's a more correct statement than my previous one, I agree.

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

In Ephesians 2:10, "should walk in them" is subjunctive; it may or may not happen. IOW, exactly what JJump is saying: We should be walking in them, but we may not be.

The question is, what are the results of not walking in them? Is it loss of spiritual salvation? If so, then that's a works-based salvation, based upon works that a man performs. What Jesus did on the cross is not good enough.

That does not mean that there are no consequences to not walking in them.