1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John 5:25-29??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Brother, part of the problem here with your using the underlined/red portion is the fact that this is not referring to a soteriological call, but a call to final judgment.

A completely different topic.

Thus it falls short of a good proof text in support of your theory.

I believe God must quicken those who are saved. But you are already aware of this being my belief. :love2: :wavey:

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That's what I said! Nobody listens to me. :tear:

:smilewinkgrin:

3. preacher4truth

Did not! :smilewinkgrin: :laugh:

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Did too!!!! You just can't read! :eek:

Did I say thaaaat? LOL

5. preacher4truth

No, but you sure typed it! Where's that 'report' button!!! :tear::laugh:

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Willis...if you keep leaving out important words...you will never get it...

here is what I said....

See Willis....savingly......

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

This is where Calvinism has an impossible problem. A person is spiritually dead in trespasses and sins until they believe and their sins are forgiven.

So how did they hear and understand the gospel before they believed? You have to hear the gospel and understand it before you can believe it, but you are not spiritually alive until you believe it.

The Philipian jailer is a good example that refutes Calvinism. He desired to be saved, he was willing to listen to Paul and Silas, but he was still spiritually dead in sins. He had not believed yet, he did not even know he had to believe until Paul told him. And he did not know what to believe until he took Paul home and heard the gospel. And he had to understand the gospel to believe it.

The Philipian jailer was spiritually dead until he believed and his sins were forgiven, yet he desired to hear the gospel before he believed, and he understood the gospel before he believed.

So, Calvinism presents an impossible contradiction. They claim a man is spiritually alive before he believes and his sins are forgiven. This is impossible.

#27 Winman, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. If he can't hear, what is there to reject? He can't reject something he can't hear. If you were in a soundproof room and someone gave you a command you would not be able to reject the command. Nice and easy...right?! :)

2. If you are a believer, you are already saved. Giving salvation to believers makes no sense.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

actually the type of call is irrelevant if spoken to a corpse, no?

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's quite relevant because in this particular verse Jesus is speaking about the final judgment and they WILL rise when He says so.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which further supports Willis' point the spiritually dead can and do respond apart from regeneration.

Willis, check and mate :)

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, Calvinism is absurd. It teaches you must be made alive so you can believe to have life.

Why would someone who is already spiritually alive need to believe on Jesus? They are already alive, they are already born again, so why do they need to believe?

And this is what is so wrong about Calvinism, it does not teach that you are made alive when you believe on Jesus, it teaches you are made alive without Jesus. Oh, they throw Jesus in there, but only after you already have life.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We also see from IC's post a clear contradiction. He states those in hell (unregenerated) can and do understand the doctrines of grace. Were they regenerated before being cast into the Lake of Fire?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No it doesn't. Jesus isn't calling them to salvation.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

It's all a bunch of double-talk.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Are you asking if they were born again before being cast into the lake of fire?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We are going in circles. Its irrelevant. I've been hearing from your side for 7 years corpses can do nothing, period. If the spiritually dead can respond to ANYTHING it refutes the entire argument regeneration is required to both hear and respond. JBH I believe has even embraced this fact.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Amy, does Calvinism teach you obtain life by believing on Jesus? No, they teach you are made alive without Jesus. They teach that God regenerates you and makes you spiritually alive before you can hear, understand, and believe the gospel. You already have life without Jesus. They are cutting Jesus completely out of the picture, making him secondary.

They separate having life from being saved, which is ridiculous. If you have life you are already saved and would not need to believe on Jesus.

Why do you need to believe on Jesus to have life if you already have life?

If you cannot see how serious a problem this is, I don't know what else to tell you.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wouldn't they have to be in order to understand salvation as the rich man did (which IC also stated)?

God won't regenerate a person to respond to his call on earth...but he will allow them to "hear" once he punishes them? That is justice...how? :confused:

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Willis, do you mind if i throw the verse in my signature into the mix? (Isaiah 1:18)

Since Amy, IC and The Sidekick want to separate spiritual inability into salvation/non salvation categories, how does this verse apply? God clearly "reasoning" with the unregenerate...salvifically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.