1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 6:44-45 logical deductions

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Aug 12, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

A. Logical deductions

1. "no man can come to me" = universal denial of ability
    2. "except the Father draw him" = the one and only exception to universal denial is not "him" in number but "him" in kind - the drawn him
    3. "and him will I raise up at the last day" = assertion limited to the only exception previously considered - the drawn him kind.

Conclusion: Hence, the natural understanding of verse 44 is that the only possible "him" that can be raised up is the "him" drawn by the Father as the universal negative denies any other possible consideration.

The text does not state that the Father will draw all men without exception. However, that is the assumption of my opponents. Significantly the term "all" is immediately brought into this discussion by Christ as an explanation of "all" those drawn by the Father in verse 45 and it is an "all" limited to a certain class or kind rather than an "all" without exception.

Verse 45a is simply a scripture quotation from Isaiah 54:13 whereas verse 45b is Christ's interpretation of what it means to be drawn by the Father and who they are that will be drawn.

1. The "all" in the Isaiah 54:13 context cannot possibly be interpreted to mean "all" humans without exception. Hence, that contextual limitation denies my opponents assumptions of universal drawing in the contextual sense intended by Christ in this context.

2. Isaiah 54:13 in the Isaiah context refers to "all THY CHILDREN" cannot possibly refer to every physical child of Abraham or all natural Israel. Thus limiting it only to the promised children of Israel or Israel within Israel (Rom. 9:6). This same covenant is directly applied to Gentile elect in the book of Hebrews and distinctly identified as the "new" covenant in direct contrast to the "old" covenant (Heb. 8:10-13) the same covenant of redemption for the gentiles (Heb. 10:15-17).

3. The Scripture quoted in John 6:45a is then interpreted by Christ to what it means to be drawn by the Father in John 6:45b. It means to be INTERNALLY taught by God which teaching consists of hearing and learning both of which are necessary to be taught. No man can claim to be taught who does not hear and who does not learn.

4. The Isaiah claims "all" shall be taught with no exceptions to any inclusive in the "all." Christ's explanation "every man" that has heard and learned considers no exceptions but all such do in fact come to Christ that has been thus "taught" as He defines one being "taught."

CONCLUSION: The universal denial of inability "no man can come" leaves only one exception "except the Father draw him" and that single exception is what the Son raises up. There are no consideration given that any of the "all" fail to be taught/drawn and thus fail to come or be raised up. All such exceptions are pure assumptions on the part of my opponents.