1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 9 and man's responsibility

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Oct 29, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

In Matthew 8, the Centurion believed and his servant was healed. How did the Centurion's faith make his servant whole? And where did the Centurion get his faith?

Speculation is fun. It doesn't mean anything but it's fun.

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary, Jesus often used spittle in healing:
    Mark 7:33 And he took him aside from the multitude, and put his fingers into his ears, and he spit, and touched his tongue;

Mark 8:23 And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought.

No sir, the issue is the spittle, for without it, the dirt would have remained dirt.

I've just listed several scholars that agree with this position. However, if you want to depend on your friend from New Jersey, that's certainly your right.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I said "other" not "never in other cases". He healed blind people without using spit. You have to ask yourself the question (well, you don't HAVE to do anything), why the theatrics? Jesus doesn't need spit to heal. He healed the Centurion's servant without even seeing the guy. So all this "medicinal value of spit" stuff is garbage, IMO. But, like I said, believe what you want to believe.

You've listed "scholars" who speculate based on the medicinal value of spit. My friend is extremely well versed in Judaism and the traditions of the Pharisees. He is intimately familiar with the Torah and the scribal notes of the time (the mitzvah? I forget now), which interpret the Torah on things like rules for the Sabbath. Your quotes are from Judaism-scholar wannabes. My friend is the real deal. I'll go with my friend, thanks.

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:) :applause: :)

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judaism-scholar wannabes? Apparently these men are knowledgeable enough to know that spittle was thought to have curative properties in ancient Palestine. They know that the frequent connection of spittle with magical practices caused it to be forbidden by Rabbis in Jesus' time. They know that o[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]n the Sabbath, you could anoint a wound to prevent it from getting worse, but not for the purpose of making it better. [/FONT][/FONT]

6. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

my short answer... the Holy Spirit caused the man to desire to obey Jesus' words from the first go-and wash-command to his saving profession of faith at the end of chapter 9.