1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John A. Broadus

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen and Gentle Ladies:

I have been "out and about" for the last three weeks. I have been on the "Retrace the Reformation" Tour with Union University. We went all over Germany & Switzerland to the major cites of Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli. If I had not been thoroughgoing in Reformed Thought before I certainly am now. It was great to stand at the place where Luther nailed his 95 Theses on the door, or the Wartbug Castle where he translated the Bible, or the City of Constance where Jan Hus was condemned. And at all of these places we had a 16th Century scholar doing "on the spot" lecturing. IT WAS GREAT!!! (I hope you are all green with envy!) HA!:laugh:

But that is not the reason I am posting this time. I went back and looked for the thread where I talked about the Broadus Book Project. I could not find it. So, I wanted all of you who had expressed an interest in it to know where I was in the process: I have just this week finished the final negotiations with the publisher. They are supposed to extend me and the other contributors contracts in the next short period.

It looks like a go and I believe that each and everyone who is a Southern Baptist or who is a Baptist in general or who has ever read or been influenced by Broadus's A Treatise of the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons will want to get a copy; at least to consider for purchase!

Stay in touch and I will let you know how and where things are going; and hopefully when.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

2. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Has a title been selected yet?

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

Roger,

Congratulations on the project thus far. And yes, green with envy concerning the Reformation tour I am.

Bill

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BF Response

BF,

We are still working on the title. I was speaking with the co-editor today about some title suggestions that he and others have made. We will see what catches our fancy.

Thanks for asking.

rd

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I eagerly await this new tome.

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    TomVols Response!!

"Tome" indeed! I hope it is a "Tome" and not a "Tomb!" HA!:laugh:

If I had know how high and how long the "learning curve" was going to be I might not have gotten involved!"

I hope this work helps some young preachers know who the great leaders of the SBC of the past were.

I really do hope it does not end up a paper weight or worse still-a door stop!

rd

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

Congratulations, Roger. Hope everything proceeds well.

Bill

8. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus Update!

Brethren,

I posted yesterday but somehow it did not show up.

I received my contract from the publisher. I am having it looked over for any problems. It seems to be straightforward. I will probably be sending it back signed towards the end of the week.

Pray that this endeavor will point many who do not know anything of Broadus to reconsider his life and ministry of the 19th century still relevant for the 21st century.

He has a lot to teach all of us; in the SBC, the IFB, and the broader evangelical church.

Amen!

rd

9. Broadus

Broadus Member

There must be some web-based hocus-pocus going on. My "congratulations" post above was to your announcement of having received the contract. Your post must have quite mysteriously disappeared.

Bill

10. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus (book) Reply and Update

To all who love the Life and Work of John A. Broadus:

Fellow Ministers and Interested Souls:

I have just today received my signed (by them and me) contract back from Broadman & Holman Academic to publish our volume of scholarly essays on the Life and Work of John Albert Broadus. We submitted the title to be The Prince of the Pulpit: John A. Broadus. It may or may not be the title as I have come to find out as I deal with the publisher.

Dr. David Dockery and I have co-edited this volume. Some of the contributors are:

1. Dr. David Dockery, President of Union University;
    2. Dr. Roger D. Duke, Asst. Professor of Religion & Communication, Baptist College of Health Sciences;
    3. Dr. Tom Nettles, Prof. of Historical Theology, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary;
    4. Dr. Timothy George, Founding Dean, Beeson Divinity School;
    5. Dr. James Patterson, Asst. Dean of Christian Studies, Union University;
    6. Dr. Rick Melick, Director of Graduate Studies and Professor of NT Greek, Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary.
    7. Others who are pastors or historians you would probably not know (but whose work you will soon learn to love I am sure).

I think you will find this a fresh look at Broadus's work, life, and influence. It is fresh but not exhaustive. This is the end of a three year project. The work was much but the end result we hope to be very fruitful. We also hope it will give the younger generation of ministers a look at a very important: 19th Century Baptist leader, churchman, denominational statesman, theologian, institution builder, homilitician, rhetorician (you know that would have to come into play), orator, pastor, teacher, NT scholar, soul-winner, and Southern Gentleman.

I wanted to tell more earlier but I could not until the details had been solidified. I hope you understand.

The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is also scheduling a tentative symposium around Broadus and his work. Some of the contributors have already been asked to speak. You might want to watch sbts.edu for an announcement to that effect. I will surely, as the Lord wills, make an announcement on the BB as I learn of new info.

It will take probably from 6 to12 months for the book to come out.

What I need each and every one of you to do is to buy the book and advertise it for us. Is that not shameless of me!!! HA!:laugh: :praying:

Send me questions via PM and post some really good comments on the BB! I look forward to hearing form each of you!

sdg!

rd

#10 Rhetorician, Aug 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2007
  11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Kudos

Congratulations on your contract! :applause: We look forward in eager anticipation for the book's release.

Have you considered your next book? James Pettigru Boyce is undervalued as a Baptist theologian and educator, IMHO. A book on Boyce would be worthwhile, I think.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Problem is, there are some on Boyce out there already. I believe Broadus is the most undervalued in all of Baptist life. I await this with eager anticipation. Strike that...I'm foaming at the mouth for it :)

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other Works

Gentlemen all those who have an interest:

In conjunction with The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary's sesquicentennial, there are two new works that are supposedly underway; one is a new biography of James Petigru Boyce, the other is a new history of Southern Seminary.

At this time I am not at liberty to say who is writing what. But you will not be disappointed I assure you.

rd

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paid Response

Paid,

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes I have condsidered the next work. I am already garnering contributors and have acquired another co-editor of note. It will be a book on suffering and grief.

I have, what I think is, a unique perspective of s & g to bring to bear on a work of reflective essays. They say (those who help us that want to get a writing career started) to write out of what you know. So that is where I have started.

I would never have thought that a "Diploma of Theology" guy from Mid America could have or ever would have had anything published. That was really "beyond the pale" of thought for me. I could have thought of 100s of others more qualified and even more willing than me. But, when the Lord calls and directs and then you start seeing His hand and handiwork at the job He has laid out before you, it becomes so exciting to have a small part in what he is doing.

And please do not charge me with false humility. I am only reporting on what I have seen and heard.

Please pray for me that I will have the health and endurance to see this second project through to its end as well.:praying:

rd

#14 Rhetorician, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007
  15. Broadus

Broadus Member

Congratulatoins, Rhet, on the Broadus project. I appreciate the time and effort of such a task. A labor of love, no doubt, but quite a labor, nonetheless.

Bill

16. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Rhet, ya better watch out or you could become famous yourself.:applause: Congrats to you my friend.:godisgood: Next thing you know you will become a speaker of note and author of many books. What do you know a literary Grandpa Moses.:laugh:

17. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus Book Update

To all who have an ear and an interest:

I talked to the B & H editor this morning. He said the Broadus project book would sell for $19.99, if you have an interest.

I hope it will be worth that to all who purchase it. We really hope it will make a contribution to all of those who love the SBC and its founding fathers. Their influence still casts a long shadow up into our day.

FYI!

rd

18. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus Book Project Update

To all who have an ear (and an interest!):

Dr. Dockery and I have sent the final edits and rewritten chapters to B & H Academic today.

Please look for the book, buy it, read it, pass it around, and enjoy it. It was written with a bit of an overlap in order that a person interested in only one of Broadus's disciplines could read it as if each chapter were a stand-alone.

I think all who pay the price will be well pleased.

rd

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Rhet,

Could you please post a website when the book is available? Thanks!

20. Lions84

Lions84 New Member

I am looking forward to reading this new book .