1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Calvin’s errant views

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't want to be like them. There are times when I have been like them, but I did answer the fool according to his folly. But neither do I want to shrink back in every case because a good rebuke and making mince meat of their argument will, with some persons, have the effect of deflating their conceited mind.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

the Old testament indeed taught about a "Corprate Election" of the nation of Israel before God...
    The New Testament teaches though there in now "individual Election" for the believer in Christ...
    That we ARE foreknown and forordained by will and purpose of God...
    We can discuss HOW the election has been made, but there is an individual election present in the NT teachings on Body of Christ...

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh boooo woooo ! Can we send for mommy to (kiss it) & make it all better for you? :laugh:

Never mind....you guys jus done gets it. Sad.

#103 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Willy Winsome

Im gonna make me a bunch a sticky labels & a stamp....gonna read :

jus done gets it. Sad.

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Again with the personal attacks and name calling? That reveals as much about your doctrine as it does your character.

Van is anything but an idiot. He has been running circles around all of you theologically and you all have resorted to personally attacking him. Any objective reader can see that. In fact, I have a friend over at my house today who is a 5 pointer and he was reading through this with me and laughed at the way you all were treating Van. He said and I quote, "Those guys are just being jerks, there are ways to address those arguments without resorting to that kind of behavior. They don't represent us well."

I encouraged him to sign on and contribute, but he is not into message boards so I doubt he will. He could teach you all a few things about Christlike behavior when discussing theological differences.

6. ReformedBaptist

He actually hasn't been. And tell your 5 pointer friend from me, "Get on the board and show us how." Anyone can sit back and laugh and judge.

But if he is unwilling, since he is so wise in discernment as to who can and cannot represent "us" well, perhaps he should point us in the right direction.

7. Skandelon

Who hasn't actually been doing what? EWF has been personally attacking Van, which can be clearly demonstrated by a simply rereading of the thread...

I just texted him your message. I want him to join us as much as you do so maybe this will provoke his will...or cause God to predetermine him to sign on, but it may be too late for that??? ;)

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So basically we should put you and EWT on ignore as there is not much either of you bring to the table but character assassinations and vitriol.

9. Skandelon

What is childish is continually avoiding someones arguments and the topic of the OP in order to disparage the person.

Sad.

10. Skandelon

Where is this "ignore" option and what does it do? Does it remove their posts from your view?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It does. I had to do it to a "pastor" from their camp that physically threatened me via pm.

12. ReformedBaptist

Do what you will. :laugh:

13. ReformedBaptist

And I can as easily say that many non-calvinists have engaged in harsh rhetoric. For example, this reply of yours regard "God to predetermine" is snide and disrespectful.

But I typically don't whine about that stuff.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we strengthen Calvinism, and bring it into alignment with scripture, we do not demean Calvinism, we honor it.

As for implying I am a fool. Is not a fool wise in his own estimation. Is not the one who calls his brother a fool in danger of gehenna fire.

It does not take a lot of study or prayer to abandon the unity of the body. Ephesians 4:1-3.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consider the fuse and the incense stick. Both burn, one rather fast with lots of sparks until the flame reaches the bomb, and then boom. Now the incense stick is also set on fire, but it burns slowing, while giving off a sweet aroma, and then goes out. To be humble requires someone to be more like an incense stick than a fuse. To be long-suffering is to be like an incense stick, getting matched repeatedly, but using the fiery darts of those who would disparage as source material to give off a sweet aroma to God.

16. ReformedBaptist

Am I not to be instructed by Proverbs as well as Matthew? Is one to be pited against the other?

And did you think I had you in mind specifically? Did it touch a nerve in your heart?

17. ReformedBaptist

You really think well of yourself don't you. lol

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its California dude ....it does strange things to a mon.:laugh:

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I try not to claim I know the thinking behind a biblical post, and make a charge to disparge efforts to present the word of God. How about you?

20. ReformedBaptist

Huh? What are you talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.