1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Calvin - no Calvinist

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Bro. James Reed, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For someone who supposedly believed, like most Calvinists today, that man had no choice in his belief, he sure liked to treat nay-sayers as if they were at fault for disagreeing with him. Now, was he a true Calvinist? I doubt very seriously that many Calvinists would advocate killing people because their religious views differed.

Note: I never said he didn't proclaim what Calvinists do today, but his actions speak for themselves as to whether he believed and followed what he taught.

Link to Article

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

Here is the first problem with the article: Calvin did not draw up the five points. The five points were drawn up in response to the Articles of Remonstrance, which came after Calvin's death.

There are also lots of factual errors in the rest of the article, as well..

But I do see part of why you think Calvin wasn't a Calvinist--you have a false idea of what Calvinists believe:

Calvinists don't believe that man has no choice in his belief. (More and more I feel like a broken record.) Calvinists believe in choice. Real choice. Calvinists believe real choice is compatible with predestination.

Well, they wouldn't. Calvin was a product of his times. All the religious city states executed heretics back then. Doesn't make Calvin not a calvinist anymore than the leaders of Munster weren't really anabaptist just because anabaptists today don't kill people.

3. Monergist

Monergist New Member

The first line quoted from the article destroys the author's credibility. Russell is correct; Calvin did not draw up any "five points."

4. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I don't know who this guy is, but I doubt that he is writing from a Christian point of view. Some of the articles on his website contain vulgarities that are totally unneccessary.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Topic closed for violating the long standing forum policy of limiting our discussions to theology. If you would like to talk about what Calvin believed about theology, then please feel free to use this forum. If you would like to talk about what John Calvin did in church history, then please use the appropriate forum for it.

In this forum, keep your comments confined to theology.