1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Calvin's views on "soul sleep"

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AndThisGospel, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or I can believe that I can get saved by the illustrious 7 sacraments & jumping through the hoops of the RCC, kissing the rings of the Popes & Bishops and when I die I will most likely stop off at Purgatory until my sins are burned off me.....cause I cant see Jesus without that.

Oh hello, that was fun.....thanks for playing "Just who's the Heretic!" :D :Laugh :Roflmao

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why of course it is the soul of the person that survives physical death....the body does not. But you do know that there will one day be reckoning & a return of the soul to a renewed spiritualized body.....that would be the day of resurrection. We however will not know that day & time however.

4. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

How does the soul survive? All three components (body, soul and spirit) are interdependent upon each other. If one component dies, everything dies. They are not separate entities....

Besides, the Bible is clear: "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." Ez 18:20

Since "all have sinned" (Rom 3:23) all souls cease at death.

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." Ecc 9:5

"The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence (i.e., the grave)." Ps 115:17

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/864087/posts

6. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

There's one very important issue that the author left out, but before I touch on this issue I have a question for you: Why are you using someone else's work instead of going to the Bible yourself?

The issue is this: If you insist that a man's spirit lives on after the death of his body, and then that spirit immediately returns to God, then in order to be Biblical that spirit must be positively holy & blameless. How so? Because nothing can enter heaven that is sinful. That makes part of you holy & blameless that can forgo both a "change" from mortality to immortality and from sin to righteousness. See 1 Cor 15:50-53

In other words this doctrine on "the immorality of the soul" denies that the whole man, body, soul and spirit is mortal and needs redeeming. Instead this "heresy" insist something is holy & blameless in fallen men that doesn't need Christ.

#26 AndThisGospel, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why not....do you consider it invalid if I use it?

8. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

No, but are you prepared to defend his position since you are using his work?

Please refute my response:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who told you that my friend? I just offered you an alternative....I did not say I agreed or not.....you are jumping to conclusions. Why do you do that?
    I don't think so. Your looking for a fight....at least confrontation, and I am not the guy....sorry to disappoint.

10. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Not a fight, but the truth....Resistance to truth is very prevalent in religious circles. People like to defend their dogma....No one likes to be wrong. That's human nature.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    honestly, what do I care if my soul resides in a slumber or in heaven. eventually it gets to the place of awareness. To me thats a Win Win in either situation.

12. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

PS 146:2 While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being. 3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help. 4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."

The soul is the seat of emotions, personality and thoughts. Soul and mind are interchangeable. When you die your soul/mind (which isn't tangible) perishes. All three components have to function. They are not independent.

Eccl 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun."

Your only hope is the Resurrection....Then, at the second coming, "you will be changed" from your sinful state to a holy & blameless state. From mortality to immortality. Then, and only then, will you be fit for heaven.

Telling the kids that grandma went to heaven makes them feel good, but it's a lie. Grandma, although Christian, was a sinner. Nothing in her was good, righteous and holy. But who wants to tell their kids the latter? Hence we fib....

13. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Here' another:

David was a man of God. Did David go to heaven when he died?

Acts 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day....34 For David is not ascended into the heavens

14. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure you got no problem with the sacraments, its just the traditional reverence involved.

Example baptism any Christian can do it with water saying they are baptized in the name of the father son and holy spirit. But traditionally we make reverence of it, prefer you do baptism it in church rather then toilet.

The sacraments are commands of God. You believe you can be saved without God forgiving you?

Reconciliation is a sacrament, you might call them ordinance, You can ask Jesus and God directly for forgiveness, that's not a problem.

You don't believe the catholic church is the church of Jesus, that's not a problem either.

The problem may be don't believe in the existence of church of Jesus at all.

I don't care where you find it, BUT FIND IT.

Matthew 18
    15“If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16“But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED. 17“If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18“Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

This church of Jesus is a source to where faults are settled. This church can bind and loose, It has authority to make the rules. Just how it had the authority to establish a canon of scripture and identify what the bible is.

John 20

22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23“If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”

This church, I hope its yours, IT can forgive sins and even capable of holding your sin against you. It is a GOD BREATHED church. Scripture too is God breathed, But the one up is the church is one flesh with Jesus Christ.

If you hate the church then you hate Jesus.

John 20
    21So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.”

What authority did God give Jesus? nothing? Would it be more accurate if it said I'm sending you in a way nothing like God sent me?

I can tell you Jesus Christ is a Catholic, the first catholic. I can tell you Jesus Christ started the church and is the high priest. You going to a priest one way or another.

Jesus, the Apostles, and all the hearer's of our lord, never practiced sola scriptura.

Purgatory ........ I hear you guys preach purgatory more then we do. Its just a fancy word describes everything that would take you a whole paragraph to explain.

Nothing can enter heaven that sins. The means doesn't matter. A wet willy or chicken soup. I don't know the details of God's program but there is a PURGATORY program.

The proof is BEFORE..... BEEEE FOUR you enter heaven your sinning will stop. when and where and how long that will be the purgatory. Word means you are being cleaned.

Jesus describes:
    47“If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell,

I mean who in the heck does that even apply to? Excuse me Jesus I'm forgiven, I ain't got to pluck nothing.

You don't believe the catholic church is the true, For that I'll give you a C- (C- minus catholic) its still a passing grade.

But if for not believing there is an actual church started by Jesus with the boldness to claim it is one flesh with Jesus, started by Jesus, with Jesus as its head, believes its the pillar and ground of truth, and then your surprised because one church claims to be the truth. You get an "F" for that.

Every denomination better claim they are the true church or they got problems.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However ...I don't believe in denominational church. Further Catholism should be eradicated ...it's just an abomination to Christ and His kingdom.
    You get an F for supporting that mess.

16. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You should have seen it while it was just the Jewish Faith. Do you give God an F for supporting that mess too?

Supporting that mess is name of the game. The teachings are perfect, Its people obviously got ways to go.

I can start a new religion today. 100% no murder record......hows yours? give me a break.

You don't believe in denominational church, buddy you don't believe in any church at all.
    Where is it? Who do I go to?

Where did your canon of scripture come from?
    When was it declared?
    Who declared it?
    Who has the authority to declare it?

The church can answer those questions for me. Show me where it is.

17. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Guys...we are off topic...

18. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

The above is the subject..BTW

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus claimed that God is the God of the living, not dead, Souls were in Heaven before His thrown right now, Moses/Elijah showed up to meet Jesus,Paul stedstated death, then right in presence of Jesus Jesus and Thief spiriit in Paradise, , Soul sleep NO scriptual backing!

20. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

There are a few cases (Elijah) were folks were translated without experiencing death, but they were changed "in the twinkling of an eye". "Flesh and blood" cannot be taken to heaven.

Moses died and then was resurrected. He too was changed.

For the overwhelming majority of believers the resurrection is where they put on immortality and are changed into His image....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.