1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Gill

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by tyndale1946, Jan 31, 2002.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I would like to know is who reads the works of John Gill? I have his Exposition Of The Whole Bible in my library but appreciate the one on line. Also I believe his Body Of Divinity is also on line. Do you read Gill and what do you think of him?... Brother Glen
    [​IMG]

2. david reed

david reed New Member

Brother Glen,
    I think Gills works are some of the greatest available to us today. Where can I find them on line? Also, do you know where I might be able to find them on computer software?

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

4. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like instant coffee, microwave popcorn, heat-n-serve entrees. Guess I grew up on Howdy Doody and 30-second sound-bites.

I have not waded back into Gill as much as I should (I confess). Enjoyed reading his works in grad school, but as the time constraints of the pastorate and family took their toll . . . Body of Divinity was shunted to a backlog on the shelf.

I want to commend those who will take the effort to read him. He was a greatly gifted man!

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. david reed

david reed New Member

Everyone,
    Thanks for the great response to my request for info about web sites dedicated to the works of Dr. Gill. He is my favorite writer to read after. I have most of his work that is available in print, but I am still looking for anything that someone may have done with his works on CD ROM. If anyone knows, please post and let me know, or E-Mail me if you would like. Thank you so very much.
    In Christ,
    Brother David ;) ;) ;)

8. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

One of Gill's works, I have never seen online, is his work on the Song of Solomon, a beautiful piece of work.

10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Because He Lives

Site Supporter

Included with the Online Bible Millenium edition is John Gill's Expositor and his Body of Divinity. You can buy it at www.onlinebible.com/html/uk/uk-index.tpl

John Gill's Expositor is used as verse by verse notes if you have his notes opened while you're studying the passage of scripture. I haven't looked at the other, so am not sure how it works.

12. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Has anyone read John Gill's "The Cause of God and Truth."? I ordered in from Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago and have finished about 40 per cent of it. What a great, great book. No wonder it is a classic among people that care about truth.
    I don't see how anyone can refute has arguments. I am so thankful to God for leading me to John Gill's works. What a man of God!!!!!!
    James2

13. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

James

It is a good one. I bought an original copy many years ago before folks got reprint happy. Tell, me though, how is the print in the reprint. The typeface in the orignal edition in minute, and my poor eyes need help or a magnifying glass to read it.

14. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Jeff Weaver:

The print is terrible, to be honest. It is in two columns, and is probably about 6 point, the nomal size of print in the classified section of the newspaper.
    I love the book, and John Gill's arguments, but, boy, oh boy, the print is terrible. I don't know why Banner of Truth couldn't do something about that.
    James2

15. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

James

Thanks. Sounds like a facsimilie reprint then, the original is about that size as well.

Jeff.

16. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Jeff:
    A reprint of a reprint. Oh well, it is still worth reading if you can see the print. His arguments on all the standard scriptures used by the man can save himself crowd are absoultely devasting to their "arguments."
    James2