1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John MacArthur and the Bible Version Stuff

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by kman, May 6, 2003.

1. kman

kman New Member

This link to some literature from MacArthur's Church was provided by timothy_1969 on another thread.

I thought I'd post it in a more visible manner so others that might not read that particular thread can benefit:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/KJV.HTM

-kman

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Thank you for the link.

Just read the whole article. It is consistent with what I've learned to expect from John MacArthur.

Lengthly - like most of his sermons.
    Well thought out and written.
    Detailed and understandable.

I recommend this article to one and all.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John is a gifted man and his church's position right on the money. Find it interesting that:
    </font>
    • His MacArthur Study Bible uses New King James version</font>
    • His commentaries use New American version</font>
    • He personally still uses a KJV Scofield version</font>
    Another area where he and I agree. After being raised to "suspect" his baptist and fundamentalist stand and "denounce" MacArthur's degrading of the blood, et al, I find myself seeing eye-to-eye with him on every issue.

I must be a compromiser, for certain sure! :rolleyes:

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Th version of the bible was determined by the publisher not J. MacArthur. Nelson, which owns the rights to the NJKV, would stand to lose tons of money if they allowed it published in any other version

I have one of his commentaries and inside it uses NASB, NIV and KJV (Romans)

Why anyone would use any type of Scofield is beyond my understanding, but that is another thread altogher!

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Don't you mean a New American Standard?? Just wondering. The New American Bible is the modern Catholic version, is it not?

I had heard somewhere (maybe here, maybe not), that MacArthur had originally wanted to publish his study Bible in the NASB text but Lockman wouldn't let him. If that is true, that was a disastrous mistake by Lockman. They could have greatly boosted the visibility of the NASB, something that would prove a great benefit. On the other hand, it disproves this constantly repeated notion that the modern version publishers are just in it for the money. Lockman would have had a lot to gain, but apparently chose not to.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MacArtur's commentaries use the NASB as their text.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    New American Standard Version, not the 1901. Sorry for any confusion. My seminary and my pastor used the 1901 as the "cadillac" of English translations.