1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John MacArthur takes on some of Arminianism's teachings

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 7, 2013.

1. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, you are walking in holiness now? Not to be critical, but aren't you out of work right now? The scriptures say the man who does not provide for his family is worse than an infidel.

1 Tim 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Now, I'm not trying to criticize you, I am just trying to point out the dangers of going around telling folks they are not saved because they are not living up to your standard of holiness. Just remember, folks in glass houses should not throw stones.

As I said before, if we have to stop sinning to be saved, then we are all in a world of trouble.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn’t say anything of either men, but his analysis of the debate offered cautions for both sides of the argument. Regarding lordship theists he noted a misrepresentation or misunderstanding of the opposing view. He highlighted the emphasis of regeneration over justification. MacArthur’s insistence of works as evidence of genuine salvation seems to be saying (at times) “where there are works, there is salvation,” which is problematic.

The bottom line was a suggestion that they refine their logic. “MacArthur has also been ambiguous in his discussion of the relationship of obedience to faith. He seems to alternate between saying that obedience is synonymous with faith, that it is a part of faith, and that it is an inevitable accompaniment of faith. Such statements do not contribute to precise understanding. Similarly, he seems to say both that repentance is part of faith and that it is an invariable companion of faith. This also introduces confusion.”

He notes that both sides are closer than they may realize and suggests that they need to lower the emotional tone of the rhetoric and engage in Christian debate/exploration of the issue. “This dispute has the potential for dividing congregations and the entire church of Jesus Christ, perhaps unnecessarily.”

Lastly, he notes that “it is one thing to be unaware, or at least not consciously aware, of the lordship of Christ, and another to be aware of it and reject it…it is quite possible that a great deal is implicit in a commitment to Jesus Christ.” Erickson sees this area in need of refinement.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not exactly sure where this is or was going. The "grace by faith" crowd like Hodges does not believe that you "say a prayer" and are saved.

Hodges thinks that you are saved by faith apart from works - works are a result of faith, but not necessary for salvation. He definitely does not believe that a true Christian can become "unsaved" - even if they desired such. I don't agree with a lot of his theology (the two types of redeemed, for example) - but you can't dismiss his views on lordship so easily. He does point out a difficulty in MacArthur's position (works as a requirement of salvation rather its result - sometimes, depending on the sermon Mac's giving).

I lean more towards MacArthur - except that I believe works are a product of genuine faith and not necessary for salvation itself (I don't think you can separate believing Christ as Savior AND Lord and I don't think that you can separate repentance from belief - they are two sides of the same coin). But some of MacArthur's comments are questionable or at least in need of some refinement.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like both of them also, as studied Erickson as a text book, Grudem for fun reading!

I do think DR acArthur rails against cheap grace from the perspective at times of one almost laking keeping the law required to keep saved, as he sems to think those holding to Free Grace views tell their members to not worry about living right, Giod still accepts and loves you, while at times he seems to indicate cannot be really sure of salvation, as not sure have done enough right enough and long enough!

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does get dogmatic about some things that are not definitively prescribed in Scripture – but all in all I like his sermons. I do feel that he is week in examining opposing beliefs – he misrepresents opposing theology or views - but he has a strong understanding of his own and articulates his position well.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This simply restates 1 Peter 1:3-5.

We are to examine ourselves at communion to see if we are of the faith, thus we are looking for evidence of a changed life. If our heart, our knowledge of our inner thoughts, attitudes, and attributes, does not condemn us, i.e. telling us we are a hypocrite or phony lip service Christian, then we can engage in communion in a worthy manner.

Easy Believeism, which claims a person is saved if they profess Christ, leaving out God who knows our hearts, must accept our wretched faith, and He when He does not, He does not cause the person to be spiritually born again and indwelt with the Holy Spirit. These, are the ones who will hear Jesus say, "I never knew you."

OTOH, it is fair to say striving to follow Christ is evidence of a changed life. We know we sin and fall short if we examine ourselves, and thus must pick up our cross and strive each day to avoid sin and demonstrate our love of Christ and all those he died for, which according to Arminianism includes everybody.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 extremes to avoid are the ones that state "just come Jesus, accept Him in your heart" and trust that act, even if your life stsayed same as before, other is "MSUY have Him lord over all, or he is lord of none!"