1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John MacArthur weighs in on the Manhatten Declaration and Catholicism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JohnDeereFan, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Fignar

Fignar New Member

Am I reading most of these posts right? That charity and acts of good will are not what we are required as Christians to do?!

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Fignar, let me explain it to you in a way an old cowboy preacher friend used to tell it. “They preach real good at times, it is just that they have a secret agreement among themselves that it doesn’t mean them.”

3. Fignar

Fignar New Member

Ahhh...I had hoped differently.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, you're not reading it right. I don't think it's fair to say that at all. No Christian here would say we are not to do good works, but preaching the gospel must be priority and part of doing good works. It is not just about doing good works. This is what happened to the more liberal mainline churches - they got so into good works that the gospel got left behind.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Come on Marcia. You know good and well that the admonition by many on this discussion board make righteous intents and action nothing more than a mere suggestion, duly noting time after time that what you do has nothing to do with your salvation and can have nothing to do with your final standing before God. It doesn’t in the end make a hoot what you do. If reality if you are predestined you are in and could not escape your fate due to anything you do period. That is the truth of what so many in fact do present as the gospel, yes on this very board. Those sentiments expressed are in no wise according to truth or the Scriptures.

6. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

In case there is anyone on the BB interested. The Manhatten Declaration now has well over 400,000 signatories.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First of all I am as opposed to Cavlinist doctrine as the next guy. However it looks like MacArthur argues two main points.

1. Doctrinal differences do matter - so we should not sweep them under the rug as if it makes no difference what you believe.

2. He objects to calling everyone in the group "christians".

I do not agree with his second point and I do not agree with his acceptance of Calvinism - but I do agree that it matters what you believe.

in Christ,

Bob

8. billwald

billwald New Member

The major problem in many threads is the imprecise use of words. Take, for example, this sentence:

>The necessary co-belligerence, as far as I’m concerned, can never be rooted in a Gospel other than that which has been given to us.

The word, gospel, has to meanings. It can refer to the good news that Jesus was born, died, and resurrected for the sins of the world. It can also refer to a specific collection of texts. Some people are very good at giving one word several meanings in one paragraph. At least Catholics can write clearly. And yes, sometimes I write sloppily, getting soft in the brain.

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: The manner in which one believes will ultimately play out in the way one acts. The lifestyle a belief genders is a most important part of ones belief. We shall all be judged in the end according to our deeds.