1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Nelson Darby vs Baptist Confessions of Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I posted a part of Spurgeon's remarks in another thread but for your edification:

That is absolutely false. Surgeon held to a premillennial doctrine but rejected dispensationalism. Classic or historic premillennialism {they are the same} holds to the Biblical view of the Church. Pre-trib-dispensationalism developed the doctrine of the Church as a "parenthesis" in GOD's program for ethnic or national Israel to fit their pre-trib-"snatching away" of the church.

The millennial kingdom of classic or historical premillennialists is one in which the Church reigns with Jesus Christ. In the premillennial kingdom of dispensationalists the Jews Reign!

That is the doctrine of classic dispensationalism and I have presented quotes from such as Ryrie, Chafer, Ironside and others to prove it.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=80260

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=94639

I have no idea who RevM is.

You are entitled to your opinion even when it is wrong!

2. OldRegular

Those remarks relate to GOD's judgment of the Jews for their rejection of Jesus Christ which was fulfilled in 70AD with the destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem!

Jesus Christ also promised the "true believers": John 16:33. These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

You might be surprised what Scripture teaches if you would abandon the false doctrine of Darby! For your edification I would also note that the wrath Paul was talking about was the judgment of GOD on unbelievers!

#22 OldRegular, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I read what Spurgeon quoted of Darby and then Spurgeon's complaint of Darby's belief, and I don't see the connection.
    Be that as it may, I am not a follower of Darby, neither am I of Spurgeon.
    It really doesn't matter to me.
    What "kind" of dispensationalism did he reject? No doubt he rejected the kind of dispensationalism that you believe in. But he did not reject all dispensationalism. Anyone who is premillennial in doctrine believes in dispensations by the very nature of the premillennial doctrine. It can't be otherwise.
    I don't believe you know what the biblical view of "The Church" is. There is no "Church," only "churches." That is the biblical view. The word is "ekklesia" and means assembly or congregation. The definition of the word forbids a meaning of "The Church."
    Again, show me anyone, any one person on this board, who has made an affirmation in the belief of this "parenthesis" that you keep bringing up.
    Either that or retract your statement.
    In fact the Bible says that in Revelation 19 the saints will come with Jesus from heaven. The enemies of the Jews will be conquered and the Jews as a nation will enter into the Kingdom victorious. The believers will rule with Christ. That scene is given in Revelation 20 as well. But the Jews will also be in an exalted place above all other nations, as is indicated by many passages throughout the OT. So both are true.
    I don't know exactly what they believe. I know what the Bible teaches. Deal with that.
    No not at all! You just address him every day. The last time you addressed him this way: "revmwc"
    It looks fairly similar to me. The first four letters are the same aren't they?
    That works both ways.
    I can back up my beliefs with Scripture. Most of the time yours is allegory.

4. OldRegular

I know you haven't and I suspect that many who believe in the pre-trib-removal of the Church do not even realize that the "parenthesis" Church is a part of classic dispensationalism. However, Darby based his claim for a new Jewish dispensation on Isaiah 32:

1. Behold, a king shall reign in righteousness, and princes shall rule in judgment.
    2. And a man shall be as an hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest; as rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land.
    3. And the eyes of them that see shall not be dim, and the ears of them that hear shall hearken.
    4. The heart also of the rash shall understand knowledge, and the tongue of the stammerers shall be ready to speak plainly.
    5. The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful.
    6. For the vile person will speak villany, and his heart will work iniquity, to practise hypocrisy, and to utter error against the LORD, to make empty the soul of the hungry, and he will cause the drink of the thirsty to fail.
    7. The instruments also of the churl are evil: he deviseth wicked devices to destroy the poor with lying words, even when the needy speaketh right.
    8. But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand.
    9. Rise up, ye women that are at ease; hear my voice, ye careless daughters; give ear unto my speech.
    10. Many days and years shall ye be troubled, ye careless women: for the vintage shall fail, the gathering shall not come.
    11. Tremble, ye women that are at ease; be troubled, ye careless ones: strip you, and make you bare, and gird sackcloth upon your loins.
    12. They shall lament for the teats, for the pleasant fields, for the fruitful vine.
    13. Upon the land of my people shall come up thorns and briers; yea, upon all the houses of joy in the joyous city:
    14. Because the palaces shall be forsaken; the multitude of the city shall be left; the forts and towers shall be for dens for ever, a joy of wild asses, a pasture of flocks;
    15. Until the spirit be poured upon us from on high, and the wilderness be a fruitful field, and the fruitful field be counted for a forest.
    16. Then judgment shall dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness remain in the fruitful field.
    17. And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
    18. And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places;
    19. When it shall hail, coming down on the forest; and the city shall be low in a low place.
    20. Blessed are ye that sow beside all waters, that send forth thither the feet of the ox and the ass.

If there is a new Jewish dispensation taught in Isaiah it is indeed a mystery. However, the concept of a "parebnthesis" Church as an interruption of GOD's program for Israel had to be invented to justify this new Jewish Dispensation, a millennial reign where Jews ruled, not the Church contrary to the teaching of Jesus Christ in the New Testament.

Matthew 19:27, 28
    27. Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
    28. And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Luke 22:28-30
    28. Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations.
    29. And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
    30. That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What makes you think we follow the same line of thought?
    As I have told you repeatedly I have never read Darby, and there are many kinds of dispensationalists.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

You must have missed this, Matthew 24:28-30,
    28 "For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
    29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
    30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

When in history did we see the Sign of the Son of Man in Heaven, in 70 A.D. the tribes of the earth didn't mourn the fall of Jerusalem, most of them didn't care.

"They shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." Please show in recorded history where they saw the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven and with power and great glory.

However, Revelation 20 tells us He will come, Revelation being written in Circa A.D. 96 says He hasn't come therefore the Tribulation He spoke of has yet to occur. 11 "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
    12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself."

"Jesus Christ also promised the "true believers": John 16:33. These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

We have tribulation even today, you don't think so look at the believers being beheaded by ISIS, or thrown overboard, or imprisoned in middle Eastern countries.

But what did Jesus say that you apply to 70 A.D.
    Matthew 24:20-22,
    20 "But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
    21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
    22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

The "great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be" the whole world didn't go through this type tribulation in 70 A.D. and yet Jesus said it would be world wide.

Romans 5:3 "And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;"

Paul says we will have Tribulation, but Jesus was talking about a world wide Tribulation. The wrath of God upon the whole world which would meet the terms of Redemption for the earth. That is exactly what the Tribulation in Revelation is for. These vials and bowls and plagues connected with the Trumpets of Judgment come as the seals of the scroll containing the terms of the earths redemption are opened.

"For your edification I would also note that the wrath Paul was talking about was the judgment of GOD on unbelievers!"

As in another post we see the word used by Paul in the Greek for wrath is the same word used in Revelation 6:17.

Romans 5:9 "Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

Notice we shall be saved, not that we are saved from wrath, but shall be saved from wrath. At salvation we are saved from the wrath of the Lake of Fire and Eternal separation from God. Yet Paul says we would be saved that is believers at a future time would be saved from a yet future wrath. I don't know about you but when

Notice too 1 Thessalonians 10:10, 10 "And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come."

First we see we are to "Wait for His Son from Heaven right there we see Christ will be coming from Heaven for us, that is what scripture teaches and the Holy Spirit reveals to me. Second Jesus, "delivered us from the wrath to come" Not from wrath as we are delivered from wrath at salvation but from the wrath to come. When does it come?

Revelation 6:17 "For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?"

Right here in Revelation 6:17 "the wrath of God comes upon the whole world".

Paul was not talking about was the judgment of GOD on unbelievers at Salvation but during the redemption of the earth under the terms for the kinsman redeemer Jesus who will redeem the possession of mankind, the earth during the Tribulation.

That is what the Tribulation is all about.

The Church or dispensation of Grace as Paul called it,

Ephesians 3:1"For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
    2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
    3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
    4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)"

Was a mystery to most Old Testament prophets, Salvation was not a mystery, the mystery was the church why because God didn't reveal it to them. Was it in His plan you bet it was, no parenthesis as you claim, but the plan of God from eternity past and a mystery to the O.T. prophets but the church as a mystery was revealed to Paul

All very clear in scripture. Still praying God will reveal His truths to you and help you get through your hatred for fellow believers.

7. OldRegular

No! I did not miss it! You pre-tribbers make a big deal out of "rightly dividing" then learn to rightly divide!

Read the first three verses of Matthew 24:

1. And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
    2. And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
    3. And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Read verse 3 again. Notice the disciples ask Jesus Christ two questions:

1. Tell us, when shall these things be? That is, when will the temple be destroyed. Jesus Christ did not say 70 AD but that is when it happened!

2. what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Not that pre-cribbers will understand but GOD has always dealt with people through HIS Grace!

#27 OldRegular, May 1, 2015
  8. OldRegular

Sadly it seems no one wants to discuss the historic Baptist Confessions but believe the false doctrine of one John Nelson Darby and deny the doctrine of these old Saints who endured persecution from Roman Catholics and Protestants alike to define Baptist beliefs!

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I contend that not only Revelation but all the writings of John were written after 90 A.D. I don't know if you are prepared to tackle all of his writings and to date them.
    The apostles asked him "When shall the end of the world be?"
    John was still living long past "the end of the world" according to you.
    It didn't come. The end of the world is not the end of Jerusalem. That just doesn't fit.

And as it has been pointed out there is far more destruction now, in this world now, then there ever was in the time of Titus. It can't even begin to compare. The earthquake in Nepal alone killed over 5,000. Add to that the horrible results of the wars of ISIS, and all the other civil wars of this world and the end-result is staggering.

What shall be the sign of the end of the world.
    The destruction of the Temple was simply a partial fulfillment. It was not the fulfillment.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

First when shall these things be?
    The Temple was destroyed in A.D. 70 that we know. What did He answer? According to what you say He said when the Romans attack Jerusalem destroy the temple. But He didn't say that!

He did answered the second part of the question clearly:
    What shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
    Matthew 24:5-8, lets rightly divide this:

First the period of the church, the period in which we live,

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

That has been and is still occurring today! Let ask you OR is that a correct statement? David Coresh comes to mind, Jim Jones.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

We see wars and rumors of wars today, Iraq, Afghaniustan etc. True or not OR?

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Happening today true or not OR?

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

These happen throughout our age, is the beginning of sorrows for believers.

At this point the Church is removed.

Then the Tribulation as backed up by Revelation 6-19,
    Matthew 24:9-22;

9 "Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
    10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
    11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
    12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
    13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
    14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
    15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
    16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
    17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
    18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
    19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
    20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
    If this occured in A.D. 70 the we must be in the Great Tribulation right now, not in the Kingdom because it says,

21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Yet there was no world wide tribulation, no Great Tribulation upon the whole earth.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

The days were not shortened but for the elect sake they would be shortened, what happened in Jerusalem in 70 A.D. to believers in Jesus? They were not there, yet for the elect sake the Great Tribulation will be shortened.

Why would that be if this was for Israel only, Gods wrath upon Israel, why would it be shortened for the sake of the elect unless this is yet a future world wide Tribulation in which people are saved?

11. OldRegular

I quoted Matthew not John!

I did not say the end of the world came in 70 AD. Wake up DHK!

I said that the disciples asked two questions. He answered both. But show me where I said the end of the world came in 70 AD!

Just to show you that the earthquake in Nepal is not the worst consider the following:

So you see, DHK, the history of the world has been one of tribulation and will be until Jesus Christ returns. At HIS return all the dead are resurrected {John 5:28, 29; Acts 24:15, 1 Corinthians 15}, the Great White Throne Judgment takes place, Satan and his are cast into the Lake of Fire, and the redeemed of all time dwell in the New Heavens and New Earth with the Triune GOD!

12. OldRegular

I did not say Jesus Christ mentioned the time or the Romans! You really need to read and think before you respond!

I suggest you read the above response to DHK.

#32 OldRegular, May 1, 2015
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Two Questions:
    The first one was answered, but likely only in part. Their question came after Jesus had described to them the destruction of the temple.
    Most of what is written in that chapter never happened. There is no time or place in history where most of those events happened.

Matthew 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
    28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
    --For example: is this past or future? It certainly hasn't happened yet.
    Where in history has it happened? Point to the event.

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll leave Darby out of my comments as I don't know enough about the man to make any educated remarks about him.

However, I would note. Unlike our Reformed brethren, Baptists for the most part are not a confessional grouping. Yes, we have written them and find them useful from time to time.

Historically, one of our Distinctives has been:

• Bible- the only rule for Faith and Practice
    Further, Baptists have been resistent to the sacralism ariseing from the identification of the Church with ethnic Israel.

15. OldRegular

Show me where I said it has happened! I have said GOD executed temporal judgment on Israel in 70AD.

#35 OldRegular, May 1, 2015
  16. OldRegular

As far as I am concerned the only connection between Baptists and ethnic Israel is Jesus Christ. Furthermore I believe that when Jesus Christ was born and crucified by Rome, at the instigation of the Jews, GOD's purpose for ethnic or national Israel was finished. GOD of course has his elect among Israel just as HE does in all peoples!

17. OldRegular

Some thoughts from a reformed dispensationalist!

Incidentally Dr. Ladd is a Covenant Premillennialist!

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus disagrees with you though on this, as he held that the father would be bringing his kingdom to Isreal at his second coming, as did Apostle peter!

And paul certainly held that God was not done with Isreal proper, so which do you believe in regarding this, the Confessions or the Bible?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Historians put the death of Christ at 33 A.D.
    Pentecost was shortly after.
    Possibly three years passed before Stephen was martyred and shortly after Saul was converted.
    In 43 A.D. James was martyred by Herod the Tetrarch.
    The Council at Jerusalem was in 49 A.D.
    The earliest possible date that Paul wrote his letter to the Romans was 57-58.

Now 25 years after the death, burial, resurrection, ascension, of Christ, and Pentecost, Paul prays for all Israel to be saved. He isn't praying for "spiritual Israel." He is praying for his "kinsmen in the flesh," his brethren, for Israel as a nation. This is at least 25 years after Pentecost.

Here:
    Romans 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
    4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;

and here:
    Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
    2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
    3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

This is the nation of Israel. It is not spiritual Israel. Paul went on his first missionary in 47 A.D., and then returned to Antioch. He met with those at Jerusalem in 49 A.D., and then set out for his second missionary journey in 50 A.D. He comes back and leaves for his third missionary journey in 53 A.D.
    He spends some time in Ephesus, and then in Corinth, and in Corinth probably writes this letter. He has already won hundreds of Gentiles to the Lord and established scores of Gentile churches.
    He is still praying that the nation of Israel be saved.
    If Israel, by this time had not become one with the believers, it never would.
    Either that or Paul was a lunatic to be praying this kind of prayer.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul knew that if the Gentiles coming into the Covenant of God now made through the Cross of Christ, how much more so would the benefits be when the Jewish peoples and nation returned to God and welcome yeshua as promised messiah?

peter held to same views as paul, as he saw that God would fully restore all things back once national isreal finally accepted jesus as their Lord!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.