1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Owen On 2 Peter 3:9

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Speaking of Owens...

Here is a good link.

http://theessentialowen.com/

TODAY"S POST..

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

How many books by Owen or Gill have you read?

twist?

What does the word hate mean in Romans 9? What does God's Word say?

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Why should I waste my time reading trash?

That's right, twist. Calvinists twist the scripture in an attempt to make it say something it doesn't say in the least.

What does "hate" mean in Luke 14:26!

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You of all people ought to know the meaning of the word "hate".

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, my, my, my......Calling a Godly Man's work trash? Thats shameful Robert! What's going on with you? Please consider taking time off this board if its causing angry outbursts like that. PM me if you need to talk dear brother.

Sincerely

6. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Ky. I am doing fine. Teaching has been taking most of my time, but I hope to be more active here again.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I regret using the word "trash" in describing John Gill's writings. I have on occasion looked at his commentary. I have it on E-Sword. I am sure that he along with many others strive to bring light to difficult passages, but I don't usually agree with the Calvinistic tendencies reformed theologians lean towards. I just don't agree with most of what Calvinists say the bible teaches.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well,that's certainly a step in the right direction. By the way, James had mentioned both Gill and Owen. Have you read any works of Owen? Or did you just lump him in there for convenience sake?

Gill is invaluable -- but has his share of imperfections. Charles Spurgeon thought very highly of his works. He bought his twin sons Gill's commentaries before their teens.

I think if you actually spent some concentrated time reading Gill,for instance,that you would end up agreeing with him most of the time. He brings things out that are very informative and edifying. He continues to be quite the blessing to the Church.

9. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although there are points where I definitely do not agree with John Owen, I have to say that he has written much that has greatly blessed me. He is most definitely well worth the study. Ages Software had a CD of his works (around 30 dollars from CBD). The highlights for me are the 7 volume commentary on Hebrews, his Christiologia, Death of Death, and his various sermons.

A persons calling his writings trash tells me all I need to know about that person.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I misspoke, I was talking about Gill. It's been a long day!

I have nothing against Spurgeon. I have read some of what he has written. I own, A Treasury of David, but I am at a loss at the measure of adoration Calvinists give this one man.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Note

Sometimes the original work of an older author may be tough for a modern reader. Grace Publications does abridgements of Christian Classics. The website is : www.gracepublications.co.uk

I have God's Grace which is a shorter treatment of Reign of Grace originally done by Abraham Booth.

I also have God Willing which is a reader's digest version of Mystery of Providence by John Flavel.

I've got : Born Slaves which simplifies Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther.

I own the original work by James Buchanan called : Justification. Grace Pub.'s version is named Not Guilty.

And of course, I own and treasure John Owen's original book : The Death of Death in the Death of Christ. A much easier-to-read condensation is Life By His Death.

There are other titles that I do not own such as Biblical Christianity. That's a much easier-to-understand treatment of John Calvin's Institutes Of The Christian Religion.

Go for them!

#31 Rippon, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
  12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very nice post and thread.
    Owen provides good food for the sheep,as he is always Christ centered and scriptural in his writing. Only goats [or really sick,infirmed sheep]would not enjoy sheep food.

13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very nice post and thread.
    Owen provides good food for the sheep,as he is always Christ centered and scriptural in his writing. Only goats [or really sick,infirmed sheep]would not enjoy sheep food.

The funny thing is that Peter himself could post on BB and explain the passage as Owen has...and the same people would object to Peter,and critique him for saying that the elect are foreknown by God.

14. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do err..

Not knowing the scripture and power of God. We say sola scriptura and then quote men/women. Whatever happened to seeking the whole counsel of God through The Spirit, The Holy, who leads in all Truth(The Word) through the New Testament Assembly?

We can argue about nuances of "whosoever" and "any" ad infinitum; but the meaning of Ephesians Ch. 1 leaves no room for ambiguity. Study carefully God's purpose and pleasure and apply the results to our theology and soteriology. Maybe that is our problem: we have too many DD--ologists.

Are'nt we smart: we, the clay, would define the potter.

Amazing Grace--He saved a wretch like me.

Selah,

Bro. James

#34 Bro. James, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  15. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Variations on the just-me-and-my-Bible theme. The same people who take this high road still want us to consider their words.

If the Bible is all we need then we don't need discussion groups. All books are - the good ones, at least - are condensations of somebody's previous discussion (iron sharpening iron) archived into print. God has a part in all that as well. The discussions, after all, are about the Bible.

When Paul told the Roman Christians that he was confident that they were well equipped and able to admonish each other he didn't mean merely to parrot Scripture, but to expound it and apply it.

And the result of this expounding and applying is theology.

#35 asterisktom, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    F.T.

A discussion of 2 Peter 3:9 is currently on another thread. I thought I would get folks to notice this one.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I have just received a copy of The Shaping of a Colchester Church, which was wriiten on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Prettygate Baptist Church in Colchester, Essex, the first church I joined after my conversion.

In an opening chapter setting the scene by outlining the history of evangelical Christianity in and around Colchester, there is this paragraph about John Owen, which may be helpful to anyone who really does not know about him [my notes in red]:
    John Owen, perhaps England's greatest theologian, was persuaded of Independency through reading John Cotton's The Keys of the Kingdom while rector of the parish church at Fordham near Colchester in 1643. Owen set up the parish church at Coggeshall [village about 7 miles from Fordham] on congregational lines, preaching to congregations of 2,000. [That's for a village with a population well under 5000!]. Invited by Fairfax [Sir Thomas Fairfax 1612-1671, Leading Parliamentarian general of the First and Second Civil Wars and Lord-General of Cromwell's New Model Army] to preach at the Siege of Colchester in 1648, and to Parliament the day after the execution of Charles I, he became an influential church leader during Cromwell's Commonwealth. In 1658 he collaborated with other Independents to produce the Savoy Declaration of Faith (essentially the Presbyterian Westminster Confession, authorised by the Long Parliament 1643-49, but with a congregational view of church government). This formed the basis of the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith, which added believers' baptism and is still considered persuasive by Grace Baptist churches like Prettygate today.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am no John Owens by any means but I said this same thing on a previous thread:

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Amen, very well said.

The "Bible only" crowd (and I guarantee you they are not "bible only") tend to come across as some elite group within "Christendom."

We know what 1 Corinthians says about schism and belonging to a group, causing division.

And note, not 1 verse of Scripture from the "Bible only fellow" Bro James.

Interesting? Yup.

20. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

In a world where God decrees all things that come to pass, how does one distinguish from the truth written by Owen and the inspired words of the gospel writers?

In other words, on what basis is there biblical authority if all truth is "decreed by God" in the manner expounded upon by many Calvinists?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.