1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John R. Rice and J. Vernon McGee

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Truth Seeker, May 13, 2007.

1. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering if these men ever met in their lifetime. I have read some of there books and they have never mentioned each other. They both lived in Texas around the same time period both are well known.

Does anyone have any info if they ever met or disagree with each other? By the way, J. Vernon McGee was not a baptist but he said he was a fundamentalist who believed in the fundamentals of the faith.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Truth Seeker. Welcome to the BB. :wavey:

I guess I'm the one to answer you, since Dr. Rice was my grandfather. :saint:

It is entirely possible that they met sometime or other. Granddad was involved in the National Association of Evangelicals in its early days, and preached all around the country in various evangelical and/or Baptist churches through the early 1960's. (After that his ministry was mostly with the independent Baptist movement.)

Having said that, they evidently never worked or preached together. There is no record of J. Vernon McGee in either of Granddad's full length biographies (by Bob Sumner and Viola Walden), and I never heard him talk about McGee. However, Granddad was good friends with Harry Ironside.

I hope this answers your question.

God bless.

John R. Himes
    Asahikawa, Hokkaido, Japan

P. S. Check out my website for some scanned, hand-written sermon notes of John R. Rice. There is also my book published in 1979, with the first chapter talking about Granddad, The Making of a Soul Winner.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

John, I don't know but didn't they both go to the Winona Lake Conferences?
    Both of their works have been use by me and enjoyed by me.
    Side question, I have Bob Sumner's book, "Man Sent from God" about John R. Rice, is Viola much different, worth getting?

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Bob.

Wow, someone who knows about (or remembers?) the Winona Lake Conferences! I can't say for McGee, but Rice definitely went there. I remember going there with the "Rice Clan" as we called it when I was a little boy in the 1950's. So the two could have met there or even preached together.

I think the bio by Viola Walden, "Miss V" as we called her, is definitely worth getting. It is much longer and more up to date than Sumner's book. She died just a couple of weeks ago. For those who don't know, she was John R. Rice's secratary for many, many years. So it is somewhat of a hagiography. Can't help that! :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

There have been two Ph. D. theses by SBC historians, and my brother is working on a personal retrospective, but I'm still waiting for a good, neutral bio.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've only read about Dr. Rice, but Vernon Mc'Gee I've listened to many times, daily almost in the early morning on my way to work.

He's an excellent Bible teacher, and I love his drawl, and his "may I say to you" expressions.

I think he's reformed in his theology. But not sure.

Either way, he's one man of God I learned a lot from by listening to his "Thru the Bible In A Year" program.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PB , I am surprised that you listened to JV McGee and thought he was Reformed . He was far as possible from being Reformed . He even bashed good old Matthew Henry a time or two for being too dry .
    JVM was a diversion for me when I caught him on the radio in the 80's mainly . His drawl was amusing , but his teaching was on the shallow side .

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    McGee started Presbyterian, got his Th. M. and Th. D. from Dallas, later pastored a non-denominational church.

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

JVM had good stuff. I listen to it daily.

He was a gifted teacher. I've not listened
    to your grandfather, John of Japan, but
    I think I shall. Any links.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Jkdbuck76.

Here is a link to some of Granddad's stuff, including some audio files. Many sermon websites also have some of his sermons: http://www.gotothebible.com/HTML/RiceJohn.html

God bless.

John R.

10. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

I am in the Fundamental Baptist Forum reading some of the old threads. Here is an interesting thread about John R. Rice and J. Vernon McGee. At the end of the thread, John of Japan provides a link to some online audio recordings of his grandfather preaching.

Good Stuff!!!

...Bob

11. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

JVM was and is (thru his continued radio teachings) a great bible teacher. While I have not heard Rice, I will try to make time.
    Another great teacher/preacher was Adrian Rogers.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr.Rogers had a wonderful voice. I didn't care for his throughly Arminian theology.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure you'll be blessed. Rice preached much on prayer, personal evangelism, the Holy Spirit, revival, and so forth.

14. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Back in the early 80's when I was born again, I got hooked on J Vernon Mcgee's 5 year through the bible broadcast. I was actually hooked on the radio stations full teaching schedule...I was like a sponge, hooked on everything...but McGee was my favorite. So much so that I shed tears :tear: when I heard he passed on in 1988.

The scriptural wisdom that McGee shared..and continues to share through the recordings..can not be quantified.

And I still listen to his broadcast! It never gets old!

I cant wait to meet him when I arrive at his current home. :thumbs: