1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John the Baptist

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Lovelight, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Lovelight

Lovelight New Member

I am reading in the book of Matthew and note that in Matthew 5:14 where John recognizes Jesus:

(14)And John tried to prevent Him, saying, "I have need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?"

Yet further in Matthew 11:2-3:

(2)And when John heard in prison about the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples
    (3)and said to Him, "Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?"

Perhaps I am mistaking the context here, but it appears as though John recognizes Jesus at the baptism but later is asking by sending two of his disciples if Jesus is the One they are looking for. Any ideas?

2. Precepts

Precepts New Member

John the Baptist walked in integrety when he baptized the Lord Jesus, but when imprisoned and facing the choppingblock, suffering for what he knew was right, he too had his doubts.

Jesus said<"Of all men born of a woman, there is none greater than John the Baptist." Now if John doubted and had his doubts satisfied by the Lord's reply,"The dead raised, the lame walk the poor have the Gospel preached to them, etc.", we can be assured that doubts may come, but be blessedly assured that Jesus "hath overcome the world"!

We just need a word from God!