1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Wesley's Deceit

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Rippon, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A-b-c

2+2 +4

Stephen Tompkins "John Wesley : A Biography"

Wesley was a serial plagiarist and simply saw nothing wrong with regurgitating other people's work . As a writer , he inserted other people's writings into his own as happily and as unannounced as he inserted his own into other people's as an editor . ( p.178 )

... he condensed and distorted Toplady's 134-page book "Absolute Predestination" ... ( p.170 )

Now this fraud had proved him a criminal ... ( p.171 )

[ As I alluded to a number of posts ago : ]

Perhaps embarrassment explains why Wesley's abridgment was omitted from every edition of his collected works prior to 1872 . The editor , in explaining the "oversight," also verifies authenticity of this tract ( Wesley , Works , Vol. 14, p. 489 ) . [ Endnote #25 of Rev. Bill Langerak's "Giving The Arminian Babel a Shake : A Historical and Doctrinal Review of the Wesley-Toplady Controversy" .

#41 Rippon, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So far its Wesley's word against Augustus. I think I stay with Wesley. He certanly had the biggest following.

Martin may know more about it than I. I can't find much on this Stephan Tompkins. He must of not been too well known.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are denying the obvious BB . Martin , so far , has shown no knowledge of the Wesley/Toplady controversy . Maybe he will delve .

BB, why ignore Tomkins and Langerak ? Could it be that you were just spouting-off when you claimed you wanted more proof ? When confronted by substantive evidence you want to run in the opposite direction .

Just because some has large crowds does not necessarily mean it's the way of the Lord . Many Koreans were of the numbers mentality . Benny Hinn has a huge following -- run after him based on your philosophy . Spurgeon said truth is not determined by a headcount ( or something like that ) . There is wisdom in that adage .

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I am not protecting Wesley. I am a Calvinist for crying out loud. However I am also a historian who believes in the importance of sources and context. All I am getting from you is selective quotes.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It seems it was the word of one against the other Rippon. You can make any accuation, but that does not make it true.

Toplady was mad or jealous because Wesley sold an article or book with 3 blank pages and Toplady was mad because he thought Wesley made some money off of the book with blank pages. jeepers it was a squabble seems to me.

Wesley apparently felt that Toplady had to pay for his wrong by death. It was a squabble.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Since I have a copy of that book in my personal library I can respond to these quotes. First this is a secondary source and not a primary source. Though I admit it is a great book. Second you don't quote the whole section. Tompkins goes on to say:

"He had always done it, apparently believing that good reading was worth repeating and that if he agreed with others' opinions they were his own and should be broadcast as such, giving them wider readership, at least among Methodists. This time, however, he was in trouble. Johnson himself graciously told Wesley that he appreciated the complement, but others were less generous and publicly decried his disgraceful fraud - especially, with depressing predictability, enemy Methodists. Toplady gleefully trumpeted Wesley's intellectual bankruptcy in The Old Fox Tarr'd and Feather'd, and again Fletcher came to Wesley's defense. Wesley's only response was to reprint the trace with an acknowledgement to Johnson." (page 178-179)

So let's see what we can pull from Tompkins. I am only using this because you pulled it out as a source. First Wesley did not see his actions as being wrong. He believed it was ok to pull what someone else said into his writings for the purpose of spreading the message. Second Wesley was told by Johnson that everyone would not be so kind about it. Third that "everyone" were those Methodists who were not in agreement with Wesley and Toplady, who Tomkins points out, was "gleeful" about pointing out Wesley's error. So this source, though secondary, does little to help your case. It portrays Wesley not as a liar but as someone who thought what he was doing was ok. This source also portrays Toplady as someone who played the game of "gotcha" and was thrilled that he could point out what Wesley had done.

Now Rippon, don't try to run from this source. You brought it into the discussion. You quoted the parts of it you felt proved your case and you failed to quote the parts that maybe did not fit your case. Either way this is why I am always stressing the importance of context and sources. I understand why some get frustrated/angry but it is very important for me to be able to see where you are getting your information from.

==Why do you leave out the section where Tomkins points out Toplady's attitude: "Now this fraud had proved him him a criminal worthy to be transported to America if not hanged" (pg170). While Wesley's actions here were without defense they hardly warrant a hanging.

#46 Martin, Aug 25, 2007
  7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I have said nothing about it (just so you know, however, I have not taken sides on the Wesley/Toplady controversy. Though I am clearly much more in line with Toplady theologically. I see both Wesley and Toplady as sinners who were saved by grace. Neither man was sinless or perfect. I also see that both of them were in the wrong in this case.) I am still trying to get you to provide a biography of your sources.

==I have yet to see evidence. All I have seen are quotes.

==So you are putting Wesley in with Benny Hinn? Amazing! You quote Spurgeon, yet you ignored when Allan pointed out (earlier in this thread) Spurgeon's comments on John Wesley. Again, I ask you, how should I take this?

"Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him that, while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan; and if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitefield and John Wesley. The character of John Wesley stands beyond all imputation for self-sacrifice, zeal, holiness, and communion with God; he lived far above the ordinary level of common Christians, and was one "of whom the world was not worthy." I believe there are multitudes of men who cannot see these truths, or, at least, cannot see them in the way in which we put them, who nevertheless have received Christ as their Saviour, and are as dear to the heart of the God of grace as the soundest Calvinist in or out of Heaven" -Spurgeon

#47 Martin, Aug 25, 2007
  8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon,

What is your goal in this discussion?

Do you believe John Wesley was a liar who ended up in hell?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More Deceit By Wesley

Some folks are never satisfied . Dig and delve on your own Martin .

I will now bring up another sad and disgraceful chapter in Wesley's life regarding Toplady . He was true to his earlier form , but in a more perverse manner .

The following is from Langerak's article "Giving the Arminian Babel a Shake"

When the Wesleyan camp circulated the rumour that Toplady had renounced his Calvinism , he immediately wanted to preach again . When told he would probably die in the attempt , he remarked : "I would rather die in the harness than in the stall." [ endnote #40 "The Rev. Mr. Toplady's Dying Avowal of his Religious Sentiments," Works , p.34 ] On June 14th , an astonished congregation watched the frail preacher being assisted to the pulpit one more time . Scarcely able to stand and hindered by laboured breathing , Toplady managed to preach on 2 Peter 1:13-4 , "Yea , I think it meet , as long as I am in this tabernacle , to stir you up by putting you in remembrance ; knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle , even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me ."
    Knowing his earthly journey was near its end , Toplady returned to Broad Hembury to put his affairs in order . On Tuesday , August 11 , 1778 , at thirty seven years of age , Toplady died . But Wesley refused to let him rest in peace . No sooner had Toplady's body cooled , than jubilant Wesleyan pulpits throughout the land proclaimed that Augustus M. Toplady , great troubler of Israel , had died blaspheming God and doubting his salvation . Respected sources claimed John Wesley was the origin of the evil lie . Writing in a widely circulated newspaper , Richard Hill challenged Wesley to reveal his sources . When Wesley replied that Hill must first provide his own sources , Hill obliged . He not only gave ample evidence Wesley originated the rumor , but also presented testimony of Toplady's convictions , authenticated by thirteen signatures of those present when he died . Wesley never replied , except to remark to two of Toplady's friends one day, "Those that are for peace will let those things alone." [ Cited by endnote #41 George M. Ella , Augustus Montague Toplady : A Debtor to Mercy Alone , p.327 ]

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin , you have not been paying attention . First of all , to my knowledge I have not yet quoted from "The Old Fox Tarred and Feathered" and the Johnson deal . So that has nothing to do with the JW/AT affair regarding "The Abridgment" .

Most certainly what Wesley did would not warrant a hanging these days . But in Wesley's day many were hung for far less than what he did repeatedly .

The numbers thing . In post #42 BB was trying to score some points by implying that because Wesley had a larger following than Toplady -- he must have been in the right .

As far as the Spurgeon quote goes ( and I have been familiar with it for ages ) CHS was correct in the beginning of his talk , but in error about the latter . I believe that not only were his doctrines detestable , but his character was also .

However I am in agreement with Toplady's assessment of Wesley's eternal soul as I had quoted earlier .

#50 Rippon, Aug 25, 2007
  11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK I tracked down the tract in question on microform.
    Yes, it is twelve pages long.
    No, none of the pages are blank.
    It clearly is a parody.

The title page says "The doctrine of absolute predestination stated and asserted. By the Reverend Mr. A------- T------."

The English Short Title Catalog notes that "The Reverend Mr. A------- T------ = Augustus Toplady. An abridgment by John Wesley of Toplady’s 1769 translation of the work by Girolamo Zanchi (Wesley claimed Toplady was the author, not the translator)."

After the title page is the following:

"ADVERTISEMENT

It is granted, that the ensuing Tract is in good Measure a Translation. Nevertheless, considering the unparallelled Modesty and Self-diffidence of the young Translator, and the Tenderness wherewith he treats his Opponents. it may well pass for an Original."

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==What a second, YOU started this discussion. As a person interested in history you should know that it is therefore YOUR responsibility to provide source information.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==O, I have been paying attention. However I must wonder about you since the mention of "The Old Fox Tarred and Feathered" came directly from a source you quoted (the next paragraph in fact). I am speaking of Tomkins. I knew you would try to run from that source as soon I as pointed out that Tomkins (YOUR source) does no favors to Toplady.

==And Toplady, the man you are defending, wished to hang Wesley. Is that really a defensable attitude? I don't think so.

==Of course Spurgeon was in a much better position to know the truth about Wesley than you. Also you clearly have an agenda. So who am I going to believe? You? Spurgeon? I will go with Spurgeon. I cannot believe Toplady since he clearly also had an agenda that caused him to gleefully (quoting your source again) expose Wesley's error (instead of dealing with the matter privately as Jesus instructed).

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good detective work Jerome . However , I have a question about that particular microfilm you saw . I wonder when it was released to the public . Wesley & Co. did not own up to it in the 18th century . I had quoted a source saying that it wasn't until 1872 that "The Abridgment" was acknowledged to be of Wesley's origin .

Martin , where does it say that Toplady wanted Wesley hung ?

Wesley made the matter public by putting out "The Abridgment" to the public at-large . Toplady called a spade a spade -- much like the Apostle Paul . Do you think Paul was wrong to condemn the actions of individuals by name ?

Toplady's agenda was to expose the deceit of Wesley . Wesley made it very personal by ascribing blasphemy to Toplady and simply forging AMT's name to the piece of filth that Wesley in fact was responsible for .

On a different front , Toplady aimed his guns on Wesley's bad ( or detestible ) doctrines .

Spurgeon was a very well-read man . Yet I don't know what proof you can furnish to establish that he "was in a much better position to know the truth about Wesley." Do you think it was because CHS was closer to the Wesley/Toplady era than we currently are in ?

Tomkins , though he forthrightly addresses Wesley's lies , seems to be a fan of his rather than a detractor . I am not running from his words . You can quote to your heart's content all the nice things about Wesley that you wish to relate .

Here is your opportunity to justify Wesley's deceit . You can try to give reasonable excuses for his series of bold lies .

And no one here has even mentioned Wesley's contemptible conduct toward Toplady in the latter's final days . Then too , please try to account for the completely non-Christian behavior of J.W. when he lied so dreadfully about Toplady soon after A.M.T's death .

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The microfilm was released in 2004; the images are of the tract in the John Rylands University Library of Manchester. The Short Catalog note was written much later than 1872.
    Apparently in 1872 an editor of Wesley's works chose to include the abridgement for the first time, but it was never a secret who wrote it.
    Toplady seemed to know right away, and Wesley's response to Toplady's diatribes was a de facto admission of the tract's origin.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks so much Jerome . Sometimes "Primary Source" material is in the words of the participants themselves . Wesley's character was so stained by his regular lying that Toplady can be relied upon for integrity and therefore verification of the nature of the case .

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Could you give a list of Wesley's lies for us? I am no historian but it seems to me Wesley thought the one time he used someone else's material, he thought it would be ok, but Toplady was not going to let it rest, so Wesley printed the trace with his acknowledgements. What else was he supposed to do.
    Wesley's only response was to reprint the trace with an acknowledgement to Johnson." (page 178-179)

Got any more?

#57 Brother Bob, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Again, I am using a source you quoted from (Tomkins).

==No, but then again I don't put Toplady on the same level as Paul.

==And he did it with "gleefullness" according to your source. Is that in agreement with Matthew 19, Proverbs 24:17, and other verses? Hardly.

==I would assert that the position Wesley read into Toplady was what he believed Toplady actually believed. As I earlier pointed out, from a source YOU quoted first in support of your position, Wesley did not believe he was doing wrong by doing this. In other words he was not willfully guilty of plagerism (etc). It was sort of a innocent guilt. I have seen this in papers where people think it is ok to mix a sources ideas in with their own without citing the source in anyway. They were not trying to commit plagerism but they did. I think the same is true with Wesley. As Spurgeon said ""Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him that, while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan". You have yet to explain why we should believe you and not Spurgeon.

==That, and the fact that you clearly have a very strong bias against John Wesley (as did Toplady). Spurgeon disagreed strongly with many of Wesley's teachings, as do I, yet he realized that Wesley was a godly man at heart. Spurgeon had no reason to defend Wesley, as I don't, but he corrected those who wished to slander Wesley.

I would also warn you about making judgments on another believer's character or motive. Mainly when you stand at such a historical distance. We can have our views but it is God who is the final judge of the believer's motives (1Cor 4:5). As far as I can tell there is no evidence that Wesley willfully did something he believed was wrong. He made mistakes, maybe even sins, but I think he was trying to make a point. Unless you are sinless you should not throw stones at Wesley over this. I'm fairly certain you have sinned before even though you had good motives and did not mean to.

==You cited Tomkins as a source and now you want to back away from that by saying he is a fan of Wesley. As far as I recall you made no such disclaimer earlier when you were quoting what Tomkins said about Wesley's "fraud".

==Lies? You have not given a single shred of historical evidence that proves Wesley willfully/knowingly did wrong. In fact Tomkins, who you did cite, points out that Wesley did not seem to think he had done wrong. Are you now backing away from Tomkins since he no longer seems to support your position? What I believe about Wesley's actions were explained earlier.

==What about Toplady's "contemptible conduct towards" Wesley? My friend, it takes two to battle.

==Source? In fact I want sources (PLURAL). I want what Wesley said, the full statement/article, and what Toplady did/said/believed. I also want you to prove, via original sources, that Wesley knowingly lied about Toplady. I am not aware of what Wesley said about Toplady after his death. I'm not going to take your word for it and I am not going to accept quotes or copy/paste. I want links to original sources or a biography of original sources.

#58 Martin, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again , since Wesley publicly put out his rubbish with Toplady's name foisted upon it --- Why was it not proper for Toplady to call him on it publicly ?

Again , where is any proof that Toplady wanted to see Wesley hung ?

Define "innocent guilt" for me . Is that akin to sinless sin ? Wesley , with his full conscious powers deliberately lied on numerous occasions . The Wesley/Toplady case is just a focal point demonstrating the fact .

I'll quote from Langerak's "Giving The Arminian Babel A Shake" again . In endnote # 23 : "Wesley used similar tactics against James Hervey , publishing edited versions of tracts by Drs. Young and Johnson under his own name , and narrowly avoiding prison for plagiarizing some poems -- a fact about which Toplady would remind Wesley .' In endnote #26 : " Those who censor Toplady for his brisk language against Wesley , usually overlook the fact that forgery was a capital offense at the time . In fact , Dr. William Dodd , with whom both Toplady and Wesley had correspondence , was hanged in 1777 for signing a document with his pupil's name ( see Toplady's 'Letter to Dr. William Dodd,' Works , p.874 ) .

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Arminianism -- Another Gospel" ...

... by Rev. William Maclean .

Within the hour of his death he called his friends and his servant and said , ' It will not be long before God takes me ; for no mortal man can live ( bursting while he said it into tears of joy ) after the glories which God has manifested to my soul .' [ pages 119,120 of 'The rev. Mr. toplady's Dying Avowal of His Religious Sentiments.' ]
    Toplady was not long in his grave when john Wesley publicly asserted that 'The account published concerning Mr. Toplady's death was a groos imposition on the public ; that he had died in black despair , uttering the most horrible blasphemies , and that none of his friends were permitted to see him ."
    Sir Richard Hill , a friend of Toplady's , and also the Rev. j. Gawkrodger publicly wrote John Wesley and accused him of vilifying the ashes and traducing the memory of thew late Mr. augustus Toplady," and affirming that "many respectable witnesses could testify that Mr. Toplady departed this life in the full triumph of faith." ( Vol. 1 pp.121-128 ) .
    The report continues that a pious dissenting minister expostulated in a pamphlet with Mr. Wesley on his unjust assertions in the following words : " Mr. Wesley and his confederates , to whom this letter is addressed , did not only persecute the late Mr. Toplady during his life , but even sprinkled his death-bed with abominable falsehood . It was given out , in most of Mr. Wesley's societies , both far and near , that the worthy man had recanted and disowned the doctrines of grace , which obliged him , though struggling with death , to appear in the pulpit emaciated as he was , and openly avow the doctrines he had preached , as the sole support of his departing spirit . Wretched must that cause be , which has need to be supported by such unmanly shifts , and seek for shelter under such disingenuous subterfuges . O ! Mr. Wesley , answer for this conduct at the bar of the supreme Judge yourself and you shall not be judged . Dare you also to persuade your followers that Mr. Toplady actually died in despair ! Fie upon sanctified slander ! Fie !
    "Those who have read the preceding letters ( by Sir Richard Hill and Rev. J. Gawkrodger ) astonished as they must have been at their contents , will yet be more astonished to hear , that to the loud repeated calls thus given to him to speak for himself , Mr. Wesley answered not a word . Nor is it too much to say , that by maintaining a pertinacious silence in such circumstances , the very vitals of his character were stabbed by himself . He thus consented to a blot remaining on his name , among the foulest that ever stained the reputation of a professed servant of Christ ."