1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John William (Dean) Burgon

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I have a strong interest in MSS of the NT and how that affects both pastor/teacher and layman alike. I had read in one article on the subject that Dean Burgon had indexed about 86,000 references of the NT out of the Church Fathers, and that the completed work was held in the British Library in 16 Vol., or folios.

This fact is true and after several emails with the British Library they are able to digitize this work for £60.00 per manuscript , or slighty over $75.00 per folio. In all, that would run a bit over $1200.00 for the whole work. Permissions can be granted to any participant to have a copy of the whole work.

My question to the board is what would be a good plan to raise the funds for such a project? Being in the financial business I have thought to write a short prospectus on the project and set it up through my church. I have also thought of contacting some seminaries that might be interested in the work for their schools.

Any thoughts?

2. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Before seriously considering such a project, I would suggest interacting with Dr. Houghton who has first-hand experience examining Burgon's patristic materials.

See this post on the Yahoo! groups textualcriticism group.

3. ReformedBaptist

Most helpful, thanks.

Edit: Not so helpful, its not in English. lol But thanks anyway!

#3 ReformedBaptist, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. ReformedBaptist

One aspect of this that has occured to me is that since the Early Church Fathers were not written in English, we are dealing with a translation of them. This causes me to question how useful a comparison of the Fathers with the NT can be.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dean Burgon's work may be obsolete for modern usage due to technological advances. However, its depth and breadth does mean he knew his beans when he challenged Wescott, Hort, et al. with his Revision Revised.

7. ReformedBaptist

Agreed. :thumbs:

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

In retrospect it would have been nice if W&H and the Dean could have sat down and hammered out an agreement. Too much to ask for considering they were Anglicians, I guess.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    And, in the case of the Latin fathers, translation from Greek to Latin to English.

Gordon Fee warns that analyzing the ECFs involves the same tools as textual criticism of the scriptural manuscripts themselves because, as works of the fathers were copied, the scribes increasingly adapted the scripture quotations to the received text they were familiar with.

He says, in a footnote (p. 28) in Modern Textual Criticism and the Revival of the Received Text (Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, March 1978) that:

Elsewhere (pp. 28-29) he says:

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regretfully, W-H were products of their age. Like many others in many fields, they applied evolution to a field it was unsuited for (social Darwinism any one?). Hence, the talk of an evolving text.