1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johnny Hunt to be new president of SBC?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jimmy C, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

This comes from Tom Ascols Founders Forum blog, obviously those boys are not happy as Hunt is reputedly not a calvinist, but other than that I dont know anything about him. By the way, there is a pretty good debate between the calvinists and the Craners in that thread - but you have to do some digging to get to it.

What do you all know about Johnny Hunt?

http://www.founders.org/blog/

According to this blog, Johnny Hunt, pastor of First Baptist Church of Woodstock, Georgia, will be nominated to be president of the SBC in Greensboro, NC this summer.

The announcement, reportedly made by Jerry Vines as he was flanked by Paige Patterson, Paul Pressler and Bailey Smith, raises questions in my mind that I think are worth a thoughtful conversation. ... (See Ascols blog for the rest of the questions etc)

2. RandR

RandR New Member

Jimmy,

I think those commenting are not upset because Hunt is not a Calivinist but because of statements he has made publically antagonistic towards Calvinism. There is a difference, nunanced though it may be.

3. RandR

RandR New Member

dh,

If you find this thread. I'm sorry JimmyC beat you to it. I tried to throw you a softball....

4. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry, RandR, but I didn't swing at your pitch. You will have to do the gossip thing on this one all by yourself.

I tell my church that folks who know all the gossip normally do so because they want to know it and others know that they want to.

But, just for the record, Johnny's got my vote (again, pardon the banal comment) should he run.

[​IMG]

5. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The only thing about Hunt running - apart from the fact that I know nothing about him - is that once again, we seem to have a hand picked person to be president of the SBC. I hope that there is at least one other person nominated and that we as a convention can weigh the pros and cons of each before voting.

I will actually be in Greensboro this year - made our hotel reservations yesterday. I look forward to hearing Patterson and Mohler debate, and might check out the young leaders meeting - Wade Burleson is speaking there

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't we just have a pope for life and call this whole bit off? [​IMG]

7. RandR

RandR New Member

dh,

If I were a gossip, I'd go start a thread about another church in another state and make assertions about whether or not she is or isn't "what she used to be." ;)

Oh, and there's nothing banal about saying who you'll vote for. But I'm curious about the certainty with which you say you'll vote for him. Is that based on first-hand experience with him? Or is this another instance where you're quite certain about a person after having "heard him a few times?" :D

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have no problems with Johnny Hunt. I have heard him preach on several occassions and he always does an outstanding job. I have also attended a couple all day conferences he has put on for pastors. They were well done and informative. I think he has a heart for the Lord and a heart for people and if elected will do a great job.

However, I am concerned that there seems to be only one person nominated anymore. The convention is just supposed to accept whomever the inner circle deems the next in line. Why not have two strong conservative candidates and let the convention select one?

Some are concerned by a few remarks Hunt has made recently about Calvinism. Well then why don't they get Al Mohler or someone of that frame of mind and nominate them for President.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

\
    No one is really "hand picked" to "be" President!! This group of men---Vines, Patterson, Smith---are good friends and probably get together over coffee and "chat" about who and when and where they can have a man to nominate----mark that---nominate---not appointed!!!

Hunt will be nominated

Now---if you want to nominate someone---you're more than welcome!! There's enough "Ultra-Conservative" selections out there--to where its obvious that that particular group(the ultra's) will "corner" the nominations for a long time.

As for Hunt not being Calvinist---and that of itself hurting his chances of election---I doubt it----Brother SBC himself---the late, great Dr. Adrian Rogers was not considered a "full bloomin'" TULIP preacher---yet---he was a three time President!!

I'll look for you in Greensboro!!

Bro. David
    SBC Committee on Nominations

10. RandR

RandR New Member

bird,

Where has anyone said that Hunt's not being a Calvinist will hurt his chances?

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "As for Hunt not being Calvinist---and that of itself hurting his chances of election"

You could make a good pun from that sentence, blackbird! [​IMG]

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Right here!! I don't mean anything against SBC1303---I'm just responding how I see it---there's been plenty of Presidents elected since the resurgence who haven't been in the Calvin camp!

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Is Johnny Hunt still in Ga? We've been gone a long time.

As for the SBC this summer, my son at SWBTS is going to be William Carey at the convention.

14. RandR

RandR New Member

bird,

I think you're misreading what PastorSBC1303 is saying. I think he is referring to the aforementioned conversation where some SBC Calvinists are concerned by comments (made by Hunt) that they perceive to be antagonistic towards them.

15. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I will yield to your understanding here as I am sure you probably know the workings better than I do. However, no one may be "hand picked" but would you agree that it sure appears that this is the case? Also it appears at times that if you go against one of the inner circle guys you get in a sense blackballed by the leadership such as what seems to have taken place with Jim Henry.

You are correct. I was not making that statement for myself, but was referring to those on the Founders website who are upset about Hunt and his position on Calvinism. Although my theology is somewhat Calvinistic, I have no problem with Hunt's theology although I think it would be wise for him to stop the antagonistic remarks about Calvinism and Calvinists.

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

OK. After much consideration, I'll do it!

Do I get a popemobile of my own?

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I like Johnny Hunt a lot, but there are times when I listen to him preach and he's all over the map.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I like Johnny Hunt a lot, but there are times when I listen to him preach and he's all over the map. </font>[/QUOTE]Soooooooo!!! Johnny preaches like you drive, uh Ken????

Ken's wife: Honey!! Where're we goin' on vacation???"

Ken: "All over the map, dear!!!"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Can someone provide a bit of bio on Hunt- I truly dont know a thing about him

Thanks

20. rbell

rbell Active Member