1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johnson U PhD

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by tag golden, Sep 21, 2012.

1. tag golden

tag golden New Member

Hi,

Longtime reader, first time poster.

I am looking at the online PhD in Leadership Studies program at Johnson University. For all I can tell everything checks out with them. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with them.

Also, a moment of thanks. This board has helped me avoid many a less-than-exemplary program by a viewing of the archives. In my search for a school to continue my education at I was open to unaccredited institutions--my list started with about 10 of them...now there are maybe two that I would ever have considered.

Johnson is regionally accredited however and completely online for the PhD. I have been an online student for a long time now, it is comfortable for me and I won't have to travel away from my church.

2. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

I have looked at the program as well. It is relatively new. Johnson is, of course, a church of Christ school, but you would be hard-pressed to find a more reasonably priced PhD at a private university.

I know nothing other than the info on their site & some correspondence with their faculty about it. Again, seems solid, price is right, the discipline would aid in ministry.... Go for it! Let us know here on the BB if accepted & how things go.

3. tag golden

tag golden New Member

I didn't know they were Church of Christ. Good to know just for the sake of knowing. Leadership is where I want to focus, I could do that with a Dmin at any SBC seminary for way cheaper, but the closest is Midwestern at 8.5 hrs away and a Golden Gate extension center at 10 hours away. Kind of daunting commute even if it is only a couple weeks a year.

4. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

There is always Liberty U. 30 hour DMin with no residency requirements & you can practically mold it into the concentration that best fits you. Price is also better, I believe.

5. Ryan.Samples

Ryan.Samples New Member

The LUO site states the courses are intensives, which are typically a single week seminar on campus (if they follow the same practices of the Seminary Masters and PhD programs). If by "no residency" you mean "never have to go on campus," that doesn't seem to be the case. Someone feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

6. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Ryan, you are correct. I was under the impression that their general DMin with no specialty could be done online but it certainly doesn't appear so.

Also, the cost per credit hour on the DMin is higher than I remember it being. All things considered, I'd go for the PhD, rather than Liberty's DMin.

That's just me....