Josh 6 monthly devotion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by clark thompson, Oct 23, 2014.

1. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Joshua 6:1
    KJV 1 Now Jericho was straitly shut up because of the children of Israel: none went out, and none came in.

NSB 1 Now Jericho was tightly shut up because the people were afraid of the children of Israel. No one went out, and no one came in.

These are my thoughts.
    People are going to build up walls so God can not get in.

2. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:2

Joshua 6:2
    KJV 2 And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valor.

Rotherham 2 Then said Yahweh unto Joshua, See, I have delivered, into thy hand, Jericho and her king,—the mighty men of valour.

These are my thoughts.
    When the Lord gives us blessings we are to take them.

3. Deacon

Deacon
    Expand Collapse
    Supporter

We are studying through Joshua in our Sunday Bible Study.

Chapter 6 notes:

• In the last chapter we read about the Commander of the Lord's army: it should be considered the beginning of this lesson. Note where the Ark of the Lord is placed during their march around the city.

• The cities of Palestine in this period were not large. Jericho measured c. 225 by 80 meters and its circumference was 600 meters.

• It has already been mentioned a number of times in the book of Joshua that the people of Canaan were melting in fear of the Israelites. Imagine what the inhabitants of Jericho felt during the daily march at the trumpets sound and finally when people shouted and the walls fell down.

• Note the number of sevens in this story. Seven days of circling Jericho; Seven priests carrying seven shofars; going around Jericho Seven days and seven times on the seventh day. And the people are to keep silent. God is in the midst of them, everything happening is God's work and the people only had a small bit to play.

• The trumpets are called "shofars" in Hebrew. Shofars were also used in battle like bugles were used in the American military not a musical instrument but as a signaling device. They were usually made from a Ram's horn. Refer to 1 Thessalonians 4:16

• In verse 17 the people are told that everything in the city is to be set aside for the Lord. This is called the law of herem, an extermination of entire enemy population. Generally warriors would take the vanquished people, their possessions and livestock as war booty. The law of herem applied special rules. An important part of these special rules makes all war bootee the sole possession of the Lord; the booty become holy property. Holy property cannot be taken and used by Israel’s warriors. Note that the first portion goes to the Lord.

HOMEWORK – Watch YouTube Video – Jericho Unearthed [LINK]

Rob

4. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:3

Joshua 6:3
    KJV 3 And ye shall compass the city, all ye men of war, and go round about the city once. Thus shalt thou do six days.
    Rotherham 3 So then ye shall compass the city all ye men of war, going round the city, once,—thus, shall thou do six days.

These are my thoughts.
    Sometimes what the Lord wants us to do may seem silly to the world, think of what the city thought after seeing them come back again only to walk around the city but it showed their faith in the Lord.

5. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:4

Joshua 6:4
    KJV 4 And seven priests shall bear before the ark seven trumpets of rams' horns: and the seventh day ye shall compass the city seven times, and the priests shall blow with the trumpets.

ECB 4 and seven priests at the face of the ark bear seven shophars of jubilee: and the seventh day surround the city seven times, and the priests blast with the shophars.

These are my thoughts.
    God has something for us to do even if it does not make sense at the time, if it what He wants of us than it is what we should do.

6. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:5

Joshua 6:5 King James Version (KJV)
    5 And it shall come to pass, that when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, and when ye hear the sound of the trumpet, all the people shall shout with a great shout; and the wall of the city shall fall down flat, and the people shall ascend up every man straight before him.

Joshua 6:5
    Rotherham 5 And it shall come to pass, when the ram’s horn soundeth, when ye hear the sound of the horn, that all the people shall shout with a great shout,—and then shall the wall of the city fall down under it, and the people shall go up, every man straight before him.

These are my thoughts.
    He should be the reason sometimes we want to shout, out of joy.

7. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:6

Joshua 6:6 King James Version (KJV)
    6 And Joshua the son of Nun called the priests, and said unto them, Take up the ark of the covenant, and let seven priests bear seven trumpets of rams' horns before the ark of the LORD.

Joshua 6:6
    Rotherham 6 Then called Joshua son of Nun unto the priests, and said unto them, Bear ye the ark of the covenant,—and let, seven priest, bear seven rams horns, before the ark of Yahweh.

These are my thoughts.
    We should take up and go where the Lord leads us.

8. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:7

Joshua 6:7 King James Version (KJV)
    7 And he said unto the people, Pass on, and compass the city, and let him that is armed pass on before the ark of the LORD.

Joshua 6:7
    Rotherham 7 Then said he unto the people, Pass on and compass the city,—and let, the armed host, pass on before the ark of Yahweh.

These are my thoughts.
    We need to be able to go with the Lord.

9. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:8

Joshua 6:8 King James Version (KJV)
    8 And it came to pass, when Joshua had spoken unto the people, that the seven priests bearing the seven trumpets of rams' horns passed on before the LORD, and blew with the trumpets: and the ark of the covenant of the LORD followed them.

Joshua 6:8
    ECB 8 And so be it, when Yah Shua says to the people, the seven priests bearing the seven shophars of jubilee pass on at the face of Yah Veh, and blast with the shophars: and the ark of the covenant of Yah Veh walks after them;

These are my thoughts.

They followed God’s instructions, we should also follow His instruction for us.

10. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:9

Joshua 6:9 King James Version (KJV)
    9 And the armed men went before the priests that blew with the trumpets, and the rereward came after the ark, the priests going on, and blowing with the trumpets.

Joshua 6:9
    Rotherham 9 And, the armed host, went on before the priests who blew with the horns,—and, the rear-guard, came after the ark, going on and blowing with the horns.

These are my thoughts.
    War was coming to Jericho whether they were ready or not and the Lord will lead the way, we the Lord comes we better be ready because He will come whether we are or not.

11. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:10

Joshua 6:10 King James Version (KJV)
    10 And Joshua had commanded the people, saying, Ye shall not shout, nor make any noise with your voice, neither shall any word proceed out of your mouth, until the day I bid you shout; then shall ye shout.

Joshua 6:10
    Rotherham 10 Now, unto the people, had Joshua given command, saying—Ye shall not shout nor let your voice be heard, neither shall there go out of your mouth, a word,—until the day when I say unto you Shout! then shall ye shout.

These are my thoughts.
    We sometimes are best to remain silent until God has us react.

12. clark thompson

clark thompson
    Expand Collapse

Josh 6:11

Joshua 6:11 King James Version (KJV)
    11 So the ark of the LORD compassed the city, going about it once: and they came into the camp, and lodged in the camp.

Joshua 6:11
    Rotherham 11 So he caused the ark of Yahweh to compass the city, going round once,—and they came into the camp, and lodged in the camp.

These are my thoughts.
    They took followed God and did not give up because He did not give results instantly.