1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joyce Meyer popular with Baptists?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Paladin, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Paladin

Paladin New Member

Is Joyce Meyer popular amongst Baptists and in particular SBC Women? Would your church's pastor ever endorse her teaching during a worship service and encourage the members to attend one of her conferences? I have my opinions of her ...

2. Servent

Servent Member

Im not a woman, But I have answer NO to all the above.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Im not SBC, but I'd say NO as well.

4. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Not SBC, but from reading a bit about her online I'd say her teachings seem questionable at best.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I am SBC, and I have issues with women in the pulpit.

Otherwise, I have listened to Joyce Meyers, and so far, though she hasn't said anything I would totally disagree with in what I've heard - I have noticed what I consider to be a lack of substance on her part.

There seems to be a lot of talk about her personal life, and an occasional, "I should have let God handle it," and then more of her personal life.

I haven't heard an old fashioned "Gospel Message" in terms of salvation, but I don't hear her that often.

She seems a bit .. women's libbish to me.

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

What does the Bible say about it?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Scripture is silent. Hence, it falls to personal view and interpretive application on the topic.

My comments happen to be along the line of TS's comments, btw. Except, I don't see her being really "women's libbish", but definitely "people, including women, take responsibility", which in and of itself is not unscriptural.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

She's a female pastor who likes to use the phrase "conference speaker" to justify what she does. I think the Bible is very clear in 1 Timothy 2 and 3 about what the role of men and women should be in regards to preaching.

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Scriture is silent?

1 Tim 2:12. what are you doing with this?

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

No ladies in my church like her that I know of.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, webdog and buckster, while there is some scriptural support that can be used to imply the banning of owmen as pastors, there's no scriptural support for the banning of women as preachers.

Pastoring and preaching are not the same thing.

Meyer is a charismatic, and some of her views get close to (but to not cross) the line of word faith teachings. This alone is a concern to me, but not enough to abandon everything of hers outright. I've heard her make a great many solid and reasonable points that are scriptural.

If there is anything that is of concern to me, it is that her ministry's spending habits may eventually result in the loss of federal tax exempt status for her ministry.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

To understand this verse in the context it was written, we must look at the Greek. Gunh and Anhr are the words in koine Greek for "wife" and "husband" respectively (not "man" and "woman" in general in this context), and being guided in this verse by the passage which is its wider context, we can see that this context is referring to a home-marriage-family situation, not a church context. Paul is saying that he does not allow a wife to exercise authenteo over a husband in the marriage relationship (authenteo = control in a domineering manner).

This verse has to do with the marital relationship. It was not intended to refer to all men and women in a church setting.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

To understand this verse in the context it was written, we must look at the Greek. Gunh and Anhr are the words in koine Greek for "wife" and "husband" respectively (not "man" and "woman" in general in this context), and being guided in this verse by the passage which is its wider context, we can see that this context is referring to a home-marriage-family situation, not a church context. Paul is saying that he does not allow a wife to exercise authenteo over a husband in the marriage relationship (authenteo = control in a domineering manner).

This verse has to do with the marital relationship. It was not intended to refer to all men and women in a church setting.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Then God's order of relationship between man and woman would be flawed. It would contradict scripture to say that a woman is not allowed to exercise spiritual authority over her husband in the marital relationship, but then outside the home and at church, the woman can be the husband's leader spritually. This goes against biblical teaching from square one.

14. buckster75

buckster75 Member

1 Corinthians 14:34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I was wondering if you were going to bring this up:

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

The context of this verse is as such: During the time of this writing, men and women sat separately. Men sat in what we would refer to as congregation seating, and women sat separated from their husbands in an outer section. The officiant addressed the husbands in the congregation, but not the women outside. (btw, children did not attend either; it was strictly a man-only culture). It was typical for the women to call out to their husbands in the congregation to find out what was being said from the pulpit. This back-and-forth chatter was extremely disruptive to the service. Paul called for the women in the sidelines to remain silent, and called for men to give women the instruction given to them once they got home.

Today, women are no longer segregated from the congregation. They sit next to their husbands. Also, today, single women are allowed to attend church (also forbidden back then). Children, too, attend with their parents, which was then forbidden. We no longer have the conditions that existed in the context of this verse. Coed congregations and electronic sound systems, plus the fact that most people today are educated enough to take notes, have made the original context of this verse a non-issue. If we are to apply anything from this verse to today's application, it would be that the congregation should remain silent, and not interrupt the preacher, while he is speaking. This applies to anyone in the congregation, be they men, women, or children.

This verse is NOT a call for women to be banned from the pulpit.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Does it? This would be true only if scripture says a person preaching has spiritual authority. It does not. In fact, the great commission is a call upon all believers, regardless of gener, to preach the gospel. Preaching is a completely separate issue of spiritual authority. Also, in order for your contention to be true, then a man would have spiritual authority over a women other than his wife. But the scriptural fact is that a man only has spiritual authority of his wife, and of no other woman. If he is single, he has spiritual authority over no one.

17. buckster75

buckster75 Member

This sounds like authority:
    Heb 13:7Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So, then I am Blessed 16, a woman, speaks the Word of God to me, I'm required to not listen? Absurd.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

She has no idea just what scripture says, tells me she has nothing to teach me.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where is the scriptural proof that women are only to be under the authority of their own husband, and no other man? Better yet, where is the scripture that states a woman can be under the authority of her husband, and exercise authority over another woman's husband?