1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judge Roy Moore for Governor of Alabama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dale-c, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet11

jet11 Member

OK. Let's assume for arguments sake that Moore lied.

You, I am assuming are voting for Riley. Please correct me if I am wrong. Riley lied about the tax proposal. He said that we would have to put people out of nursing homes, schools would close, etc. if we did not pass the tax increase. The tax increase was the only way to prevent this from happening. Well, the tax increase was defeated soundly and what do you know, none of the doom and gloom from the Hubbard camp came to pass. Riley cowered to Hubbard and he lied. He certainly has done a lot to end business as usual in Alabama politics.(G):laugh:

Riley continues to lie in a political ad that I saw on TV the other day. He says that he is tough on the illegal immigration issue. Can someone tell me what he has done that has any teeth? He is not prosecuting businesses for hiring illegals. He is not deporting any one, or transporting them to the state line. He is a liar plain and simple.

I agree with KenH on the Moore issue. I do not believe Moore violated the US Constitution, but I feel he should have removed the monument according to the Federal Court Order. He could have appealed and if he had won, he could have placed the monument back in the facility with his head held high. If he had lost, he would have been seen in a more favorable light.

Having said that, I believe Moore has demonstrated that he is not afraid of a fight. We need someone to stand up to Paul Hubbard and the AEA. They are the real power in this state. If we ever want to achieve a better educational record in this state (47-50 is not cutting it), then we will have to have someone who is unafraid of a fight.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Speaking of not being afraid of a fight, when he was in Vietnam his life was threatened by his own men for having the audacity to enforce discipline with the troops. He did not cave in and GOd protected him. In his words, how could he deny the GOd that protected him there?

3. jet11

jet11 Member

HenH,

I will read more about Loretta Nall. I am OK with legalizing drugs, but I do not feel it is my responsibility to provide them with treatment in any way.

Treatment only works for those who want treatment. What do we do for those who refuse treatment, and some day become disabled due to their personal choices. The Government we have today would say that we must take care of them. I would wholeheartedly disagree. With choice comes responsibility. If you choose to destroy your life with drugs, tobacco, alcohol, etc., then you must deal with the consequences of your actions. It is not my place to pick up the pieces of your shattered life with my tax dollars.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

When was he called upon to deny God? I haven't heard of that incident.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I agree totally.
    But, where does she stand on the sovereignty of God over the state?
    That is an honest question as I don't know much about her.
    Also..."Isa 3:12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them.
    I have a hard time with women in office.
    I don't think that is what GOd intended. Having said that, that is what we get when men don't do their job.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

During the cross examination he was asked if he were to continue his duties, if he would continue to acknowledge God. He answered that he would..and that the method would be to start with prayer, just as THAT court had done. He would state "God save the state of Alabama and this honorable court" just as they had done etc.
    He didn't even mention a big rock would have to be in the judicial building.

That was a call to to deny God. I don't know why you can't see that.

http://vbuttons.com/ec/6064/index.php?em_id=4382104
    THis should be the right link...if not you can get it from www.judgeroymoore.net

7. jet11

jet11 Member

KenH,

I read Loretta Nall's platform, and I agree with a lot of it. However, there are two issues which will keep me from voting for her.

1.) She is for the naturalization of illegal immigrants. While she has a point that our hands are tied somewhat until the border issue is resolved, I do not think rewarding illegal behavior is ever a good idea.
    2.) She supports Gay marriage. Since we have tax laws based on peoples marriage status, I believe the federal and state governments have every right under the present tax code to define what a marriage is.

Other than those two issues, I could have voted for her. I still have questions about her drug stance, but the other issues are so aggregious that I don't consider a viable candidate anymore.

I still don't know if I will support Roy Moore, but I will give him a look. The problem is there is no choice. They all are tainted in some way.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Jet, please watch that video that I posted the link to. You may have already seen the edited version on a commercial but this has a little more.
    Here it is again in case you missed it.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

THat wasnt a call to deny GOd - it was a simple question.

No one here has been asked to deny God, no matter what the hype

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You must have missed the caterwauling going on outside the justice building when the thing was being carted off.

Yes, and? My point in all of this is that the Word of God is Jesus Christ. The Bible, while inspired and authoritative, is a book, including the Big Ten. God's ultimate revelation of God is in Jesus Christ. Making a monument, rather than the Person of Christ, the central focus is, in short, idolatrous.

11. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Whatever.

Look, with the possible exception of Nall, there isn't a human being in Alabama politics who doesn't think God wants you to vote for them, and they'll co-opt the Name in a second if it will get them votes.

It is a sad fact that no one who has any shred of electability in this state is going to stand up to Hubbard or any of the Good Old Boys. No one.

And as for my vote, if the only choice in the election was between a muddy old stick and Roy Moore, I'd vote for the former.

12. jet11

jet11 Member

I agree with you that there is not much of a choice. I may have to not vote in that particular race.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Jet, have you read his book? (Moore) I would strongly suggest that as it would give you a much greater idea of what he believes.

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Why should one read a book to learn what is obvious already?

Moore is a Fundamentalist and Conservative, and as such only those who are Godly agree with him, and any who attack him are persecuting his faith.

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

How do you know what you will learn until you read it? THere is a LOT of information in there.
    More than you realize I would imagine.

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Lots of first-person-singular statements I would imagine.

Perhaps I will someday, but it frankly interests me less than not at all at the moment.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This thread has reached the ten page limit for discussion and will be closed no earlier than 2200 EDT.

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

It is in part a bio so there is a lot but there are a lot of quotes from the founders and people like Blackstone, Jay, Madison and many others.
    There is also a lot of Biblical basis for what he believes and says.
    Please don't assume what is in it. There was a lot more to it than I thought, that is for sure.

What do we need to do to continue the thread?

Thanks,
    Dale

19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Is the book going to make me, a Reformed Protestant who is moving quickly away from his original Fundamentalism, think any more of Moore?

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

After its closure you can open another one if you think there is enough interest to maintain it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.