1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judgment of God.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Sep 27, 2005.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Some people on this Forum apparently believe that Katrina was the judgment of God on this country. If that is true why did He not start with Sodom by the Sea which is very near the San Andraes[sp] fault and has a substantial population of homosexuals who are an abomination to God [Leviticus 20:13]?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has mercy upon whom He has mercy, and compassion upon whom He has compassion.

The amazing thing isn't that He judged New Orleans, it is that He hasn't judged me.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think their reasoning is flawed. We should not look at individual events and attempt to hyper-analyze them in that way.

Besides, I don't believe that God judges a nation as a whole after 70 A.D.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you think that?

5. mioque

mioque New Member

I actually got the impression that a couple of people on this board see it as a specific judgement on New Orleans and not on the US as a whole.

6. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

There are some pretty interesting theories out there. They could be correct, or could be wildly wrong. The thing we all should remember is that we will never know! Telling someone that this ISN'T a judgement from God is just as much of an assumption on our part as it is to say that it was a jedgement. There is no way we could ever even begin to grasp what God does on a daily basis. If He decided to bring judgement to New Orleans via a storm it would be understandable and possible. Of course, it is also totally possible that this was one of those random events that took place just because it did. Either way, I think it is pointless for the Church to divide itself fighting about it. How about taking that energy and putting it into an outlet that will make it less likely that God has a REASON to judge our nation or one of its cities?

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

It can never hurt to consider such things a warning from God to get on course and stay there!

However, we need to understand that some things happen by time and chance even to the fastest, strongest, wisest, and most skillful of nations, their leaders, or their citizens.

God created the heavens and the earth to follow certain natural laws. He can intercede if He desires to respond to our prayers or He can let it follow its natural course of which "time and chance" are an element.