1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Judgment Seat of Christ

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Con 1,

Yes...like in jn 5...however in rev we see the unsaved are judged according to their works so they perish....

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
    We were judged at the cross in Jesus.....he taking our punishment and turning away Divine wrath from us....

6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From A Baptist catechism with Commentary...by WR Downing;

#22 Iconoclast, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    pt2

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Icon, if I'm reading this correctly, you are stating our judgment occurred at the cross. But doesn't that stand in opposition to the statement that judgment comes after death (Heb 9:27)? It seems so to me as the only way we come to the cross is in this waking life.

I've always read the Great White Throne judgment as the general judgment occurring after the general resurrection, as the dead small and great (i.e.: ALL the dead) stood before the throne and were judged.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have always viewed Matthew 25, John 5, 1 Thessalonians 4, and Revelation 20 as different accounts of the same event...a general resurrection followed by a general judgement where both saint and sinner receive their reward...

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe all our judgement for sin was put upon Jesus. When he died we died IN HIM, When he arose we arose In Him.....it is put to our account when we are quickened.
    Jesus active obedience and law keeping was as our substitute.
    The unsaved have to answer for their own works and be perfect...They cannot, so they go into second death.
    Did you see the link from the Baptist Catechism....with commentary...?

I believe that all God's wrath was turned away as we are covered by the blood.

It was a real propitiation for all of God's sheep wherever that are found worldwide now....not just those in Jerusalem...God so loved the world.

7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How they handled "blessings and trials"??

If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

How's does Calvinism view this seeing how it proclaims ALL good works are performed by God alone through the individual, man can only do what God makes him do? Is Jesus then judging Himself and how He performed?

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I looked at the passage you seem to have in mind but I see nothing about the Judgment Seat of Jesus Christ:

1 Corinthians 3:9-15
    9. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.
    10. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
    11. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
    12. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
    13. Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.
    14. If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
    15. If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Perhaps you could show me where that Judgment Seat is mentioned.

To show the context of this passage I present the following Scripture:

1 Corinthians 3:1-8
    ]1. And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
    2. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
    3. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
    4. For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
    5. Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
    6. I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
    7. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
    8. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

Seems to me that Paul is talking about temporal judgment and rewards!

I always thought that Jesus Christ took the judgment we deserve on the Cross!

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see this thread has been sidetracked. Go figure.

Calvinist teaches "exhaustive determinism" whatsoever comes to pass was foreknown and predestined (ordained) by God. Thus God is the father of sin, and the judgment that follows the resurrection of the righteous makes no sense because we only did what God predestined and thus earned no rewards.

So rather than discuss the issue of rewards, based on the autonomous choices of believers, we debate whether the judgment seat of Christ (bema) is the same as the Great White Throne judgment. Which of course has nothing to do with the issue.

10. OldRegular

Well said! Scripture tells us:

Romans 8:14-17.
    14. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
    15. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
    16. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
    17. And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Can't get any better than that!

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Even if you do not agree with most commentaries that these two passages are speaking of one in the same (JSoC), the fact remains that Christians are judged according to their works, not a judgment of life and death, this is settled at the cross, but a judgment of performance as a Christian.

So explain how a Christian can be judged for these deeds if it be so as Calvinism teaches, that ALL good works are ALL of God working within the believer, with ZERO credit for any cooperation whatsoever given to the believer??? Does this not make the admonition given to the believer totally pointless?

There has not been any Calvinist here even come remotely near to addressing the OP question. You are all deflecting to debating judgments and times and places. Address the OP..........

12. OldRegular

Can't help you there. I have never claimed to be a Calvinist. In fact i reject that label!

I have addressed the OP.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God will be rewayding to each one of us according to just how we chose to live in this life for jesus...

Did we obey God and strive to please and serve Him on a regular basis?

Did we hit and miss?

Did we serve ourselves still more often than not?

We reap what we sowm, and God is no respector of persons, so all of us have same opportunity to hear" wekk done, my good and faithdul servant" or else"saved as if by fire"

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    steaver

YES STEAVER....why is this a mystery to you?
    Good works like our salvation are ordained for us to walk in.:thumbs:
    It is easily seen here:

Deuteronomy 8 King James Version (KJV)

8 All the commandments which I command thee this day shall ye observe to do, that ye may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land which the Lord sware unto your fathers.

2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the Lord thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.

3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.

4 Thy raiment waxed not old upon thee, neither did thy foot swell, these forty years.

5 Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chasteneth his son, so the Lord thy God chasteneth thee.

6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.

7 For the Lord thy God bringeth thee into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and depths that spring out of valleys and hills;

8 A land of wheat, and barley, and vines, and fig trees, and pomegranates; a land of oil olive, and honey;

9 A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills thou mayest dig brass.

10 When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the Lord thy God for the good land which he hath given thee.

11 Beware that thou forget not the Lord thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day:

12 Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein;

13 And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied;

14 Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the Lord thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;

15 Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water; who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint;

16 Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end;

17 And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth.

18 But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.
    19 And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the Lord thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.

20 As the nations which the Lord destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the Lord your God.

God gives us salvation , health and strength to be able to serve HIM and His Holy law. We are stewards of all these things....God enables we obey:wavey:

Men are responsible for any obedience...or dis obedience......you really do not understand what you are even trying to attack.

Your foolish ideas lead to such a foolish post...this deserves no response.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Van
    yes...when you jumped in, as :wavey:usual
    No cal teaches this....it is only in your mind and caricature.:thumbs:

You have gone to the same confused ideas as steaver now:laugh:

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    OldRegular

Well said! Scripture tells us:

Romans 8:14-17.
    14. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
    15. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
    16. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
    17. And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Can't get any better than that![/QUOTE]

:thumbs::wavey::thumbs: it is simple when we just read the clear teaching of scripture.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Icon is right, Calvinists say God predestines everything including sin, but God is not the author of sin. No kidding.

Calvinists have a difficult time explaining why God rewards us for our service, when our service was compelled by the predestination of God.

And the beat goes on...

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe you claim to follow Calvinism's TULIP, No? You do realize there are no choices to be made in TULIP's theology? ALL deeds and works are performed SOLELY by God through the believer. There is no choice for the believer in the matter. So are you truly a Cal or not??

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You may addressed it, but you haven't given a Calvinist pov explanation of how a believer gets judged when Calvinism teaches the believer has no choice but to walk in the works God has ordained for them to walk in.

20. OldRegular

Sport, how can I give you a Calvinist pov, I assume that is point of view, when I tell you I am not a Calvinist. Now I do believe in the Doctrines of Grace fyi!