1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

July 4th, God Bless America?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jailminister, Jul 1, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I entered first grade in 1957 and we had morning prayer and devotionals but we did not use the Bible as a reader. We did learn creation and the golden rule. Our teacher's were quick to remind us of what the Bible had to say about behavior....
    In junior high we had morning devotionals as a group before class and many of us carried our Bible's with our school books. Later, our church youth minister started a group and I attended that before school in one of the classrooms.

On the other hand... I attended Bessie Tift Baptist Women's College and had never heard of homosexuality until I walked in on two girls when one of them had a phone call....

So now I home school our youngest after our 3rd child was 'bothered' by a homosexual in the classroom in front of other students and the teacher........

Diane

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not to toot my own horn, but I was quite surprised by the fact that so few native borns didn't know the answer to basic questions like:

How many houses of congress are there?
    How many branches of government are there? What are they, and what do they do?
    What is the definition of the Constitution?
    How many amendments to the COnstitution are there?
    Who is the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is your lack of capitalization("I" not "i") and poor grammar(should be "were" not "was") a result of public or private or homeschooling? :cool:

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am on page 47 and I hope, the Lord willing, to finish most of the book before I return to work next Monday. :D

5. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jailminister,

I'll tell my Jehovah's Witness neighbors about you. They're always looking for folks who don't salute the flag.

Maybe you can visit them on Friday since you're neither one going to be celebrating.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true at all. The use of biblical materials, state sponsored prayer in school and daily devotionals in class tended to be heavily localized things. Some states did not allow it at all and most left it to the local school district. Many school districts did not have any religious exercises.

For instance, my parents went through the public schools of Port Arthur, Texas during the following years 1930-42 and 1947-52 and have informed me that there were no religious exercises held in classes.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

No offense meant, just a question. If you cannot pledge allegience to your country; does that make you a traitor?

If the day ever comes (and it won't) that I cannot stand by my country and be proud of her, I will look for a new country.

Could it be that it is the fault of we who are Christians that we do not have a Christian nation?

We need God back in America; but who, if not the Christians, are going to do that?

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.........

[​IMG]
    Sue

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God never left. Everything belongs to Him.

Psalm 50:10-12 (ESV)
    [10]For every beast of the forest is mine,
    the cattle on a thousand hills.
    [11] I know all the birds of the hills,
    and all that moves in the field is mine.
    [12] "If I were hungry, I would not tell you,
    for the world and its fullness are mine.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have come to realize that while some conservative Christians claim(or used to claim) that they love America that what they actually love is their idealized idea of America(which never has existed in reality). And when reality hits them between the eyes like a 2x4 they want to pick up their marbles and go home.

10. Tim

Tim New Member

For those of you pining away for a Christian America: Just BE a Christian American, train your kids to be, and try to bear witness to those around you. Let God change some hearts by your faithful word and example, and be patient--see what God will do!

As long as we have freedom--we're the only ones holding us back.

God bless America!

Tim

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I love America because she is my country!

I AM home.

America is still the greatest nation on earth. God made her so for his own purpose. I feel as long as there is a dedicated Christian population standing up for what's right...we will remain the greatest nation on earth...