1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Just an FYI

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Sep 24, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are using circular reasoning arguing that after being justified by faith we will need some basis for the lost to be born-again - justified after being justified.

Your logic is illusive if not openly flawed.

The claim is that that the one who is justified - born-again "is a new creation" -- and thus Romans 11 "you should fear - for if He did not spare them neither will he spare you" God's continued kindness in Romans 11 is for you "IF YOU CONTINUE in His kindness" if we continue to walk as a Christian.

That is what the text says that you can't even bring yourself to quote!!

You argue AS IF these statements by God are simply the statements of E-7 and BobRyan and so they can be thrown under the bus!

Stop and think about what you are saying/doing in that regard.

In Matt 18 "I FORGAVE YOU all of that debt" - is what God said. And then in true forgiveness revoked fashion - in Matt 18 - ALL that debt is RETURNED and full payment to be made by the unforgiving servant.

The utter destruction of OSAS with Christ's own conclusion "SO SHALL my Father do to each one of you IF you do not forgive..."

in Christ,

Bob

2. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

• “And these (not doing good deeds, etc.) will go away into everlasting punishment,
    but the righteous (doing good deeds, etc.) into eternal life.” (Matthew 25:46)

Both of these are talking about everyone ... Christian and not Christian alike!

But, how can the non-Christian who does good deeds get eternal life?

Perhaps, they were chosen to be part of the elect.
    Perhaps they will hear and respond to the gospel, and continue doing righteousness?

#22 evangelist-7, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013
  3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The OP is not about OSAS - but rather justification. That is why you didn't find any text on that subject.

Are you sure you are reading the correct OP? Could you provide a quote of name calling and a quote of OSAS?

I leave OSAS for a thread which is addressing that topic, we'll just stick with justification here in this thread which was opened for such.

So what is wrong with this protest from BobRyan using Galatians chapter 5? We have a Law Keeper referencing scripture which declares the one who wishes to be justified by the Law has fallen from Grace.

The rest of your posting is all about OSAS. This is about justification, so I will let that for another thread.

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a bible quote for you to pray about. Maybe you could teach us how this passage does not conflict with Matthew 25:46?

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So after one is justified - born-again, one should fear judgment?

Maybe some Christians just need to be scared into obedience? I like what Paul said, "For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father". (Ro8:15)

What "bondage" is Paul speaking of? One place we read of this bondage is in Galatians, the Law Keepers wanted to preach the keeping of the Law for justification. Paul says if they do this they have fallen from grace. Hmmmm - so who has fallen from grace?

6. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

I keep warning everyone that they have NO idea at all about ...
    Paul's method of writing to the churches (they're all his except Rome, right?).

Anything to do with the dumbing-down of America through its' school system over the past 50+ years?
    If you don't know anything about it, start googling.

It'a whole lot of edification, exhortation, blessings, etc., most of which does NOT apply to most church-goers today!
    Totally mixed in with his subtle warnings and threats, which DO apply to most in our churches today!

#26 evangelist-7, Sep 29, 2013
  7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Paul said that the person who IS standing by faith should have a healthy respect (the term fear) for the possibility of failing to persevere -failing to "continue in God's goodness".

God said (not -- BobRyan said)

"22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continuein His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. "

There is no indication at all that any Christian in the church of Rome wrote to Paul saying "please scare us - we are the kind of people that need it".

Rather God Himself chooses to write this to the church.

9 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear.
    21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either.
    22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.
    23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

Totally blowing OSAS out of the water at the same time.

That would be a welcomed change.

in 1Cor 9 Paul says "I buffet my body and make it my slave lest after preaching the Gospel to others I MYSELF should be disqualified".

His application of his own Gospel preaching - to himself is evident in 1Cor 9.

Thus his instruction in Romans 11 - is applied across the board.

In Romans 6 Paul says that we are either in slavery and bondage to sin - and bound to obey sin... or we are servants of righteousness - obeying righteousness.

Then in Romans 8 Paul said

, "For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father". (Ro8:15)

Obviously it is the bondage, slavery etc that he just mentioned in Romans 6 - bondage to sinning - to obeying sin.

In Romans 8 Paul says that the lost person does NOT obey the Law of God and indeed they CAN NOT obey the Law of God. They are in bondage to sin.

Romans 8

4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
    10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
    11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
    12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
    13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
    14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
    15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
    16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

In Romans 8 - those who have this witness - this assurance of salvation, this witness by the Holy Spirit that they ARE the children of God - are the ones who "by the Spirit put to death the DEEDS of the flesh" NASB. Rom 8:13.

Your lifting of sentence fragments here and there - has a tendency to ignore these key context points.

in Christ,

Bob

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well brother, you have the Seventh Day Adventist Ellen White Law Keepers on your side, and Joseph Smith and his angel Moroni. You might want to rethink what you think you are reading. Try allowing the Holy Spirit to speak to you about these things. :love2:

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

(See what I put in bold in your first paragraph): Really? The Spirit told you that? The Free Will and General Baptists believe the Spirit told them that one may lose salvation by rejecting it, by an act of the will. Wonder who is right? I wonder if the Spirit tells different people contradictory things.

To determine who is right, one must look to the character of God and the nature of the created order as revealed in scripture.

10. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

So, a person may chose to accept salvation but not to reject it once chosen. That is neither logical nor scriptural.

11. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

See bold: It is not foreign to scripture nor to the vast majority of denominations.

12. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Why don't you stop trying to defend your position by condescension and insult.

Oh, and btw, the only one you have on your side is Calvin and his followers. The vast majority of Christendom does not believe OSAS.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus has been giving eternal life to people long before Calvin ever came on the seen.

Do you have eternal life Thomas? Consider carefully the question before you answer........

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That kind of sand-box rant does not address the actual Bible problem for the view you are suggesting.

Notice I already debunked the idea that only somebody on your name-calling list actually supports/promotes the keeping of God's Commandments.

And apparently even your own free-will Baptist denomination - rejects the unbiblical tradition of OSAS. I guess the General Baptists are getting that right.

As it turns out - name calling is not the solution to every problem when false doctrine is flatly debunked by the clear Word of scripture.

in Christ,

Bob

#34 BobRyan, Sep 29, 2013
  15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Interesting web site.

http://www.baptisthistory.org/pamphlets/diversity.htm

in Christ,

Bob

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    <<Claiming belief on Christ>> is just as much the work of man of the Law as would or could be his keeping of the Sabbath Day or refraining from stealing for example. <<Claiming belief on Christ>> is USELESS 'works of the Law' OF MAN OF HIS OWN CHOICE! If not EVERY man is found a liar, God must be the liar, God forbid!

One is an Elect for salvation through the grace of God Period. Believe it or not if you will, the Elect believe it.

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Ag ja ... Karl Barth summed it up best, this is the only fork in the road of Christianity where the roads end up in different destinations or something to the effect.

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I say there is one more fork in the road of Christianity where the two roads lead to different destinations and or locations on earth. But it is not the subject now.

#38 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I guess I should have corrected you earlier, but I'm not a Baptist, just a plain ole Christian. :tongue3:

Still don't see the name calling you are referring to, you don't mind being called a Seventh Day Adventist do you? Or a Law Keeper? You do believe in keeping the Law, correct?

20. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

To simplify Romans 6:15-23 in one sentence ...

Paul was giving them reasons why they do NOT have to continue to be slaves of sin, which results in eternal death!

My main goal in life ...
    to have just one of you guys see this extremely important truth about this passage.

Yes, important ... because this passage alone:
    - reveals Paul's normal incredibly tactful method of writing
    - debunks OSAS

#40 evangelist-7, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013