1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just Exactly What Does the Faculty of SWBTS Teach?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Sep 11, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Posted at http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/

Dear Rev. Burleson:

I have been following your blog for many months now, and I really appreciate what you are doing to address the issues surrounding the IMB policies on tongues and baptism. Thank you also for posting the chapel sermon of Dwight McKissic so that people could read his words for themselves.

Many students have been following the way that our seminary president handled the situation. Some students don't ever think Dr. Patterson does anything right. Other students, like myself, think that he is a godly man who is able to make mistakes, as I believe he did when he chose to censor Rev. McKissic's sermon.

I was discouraged when I saw the press release from Southwestern because it is misleading, if not an outright lie. The press release gave the impression that Rev. McKissic's view about tongues and private prayer was inconsistent with the views of the faculty and staff. But I know of at least five professors in the school of theology who would share Rev. McKissic's view, and have done so openly in class. Other faculty members have taught that his view is a legitimate view for Southern Baptists.

The press release also gave the impression that Southwestern Seminary would not "disseminate openly" views that are consistent with Rev. McKissic's view because such views are "harmful to the churches."

I was curious if this claim was factually accurate so I looked back to old copies of the Southwestern Journal of Theology to see if the seminary had "disseminated" such views "openly." You can imagine my surprise to discover that current faculty had written views consistent with Rev. McKissic's and that those views have been published and/or recommended by Southwestern Seminary.

I am writing you in confidence because I still have some time left before I graduate and I don't want to do anything "openly" that might be "harmful" to my graduation. ;)

Feel free to use my letter and the quotes I have included on your blog if you think it will be helpful. I am also forwarding this material to Rev. Dwight McKissic so that he knows that his views are not quite as "harmful" as our president said. If you choose to use this email on your blog, please do not publish my name.

In Christ,

Name Withheld by Blog Administrator

Supporting Documentation:

The supporting documentation is posted at at http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/

______________________________ (End of Letter)

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true.

I know at least one current SWBTS professor who uses a private prayer language.

And that's a shame.

The unwillingness to take a prophetic stand, because it might have undesirable consequences, is what empowers corruption, lies and abuse.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some are taking a stance lsuch as Wade Burleson. Who could miss what some in the IMB are trying to do against him. Check out www.wadeburleson.com

There are many who have taken a stand against numbers of internal issues in the SBC and have been shunned by the SBC leadership and also by their own churches. I know several pastors in AZ who spoke against the BFA and were shunned.

One of my professors at SWBTS had that happen and eventually he moved on. The administration told him that he needed to be an easier teacher so he would accomodate more students and have bigger classes so they could have less sections costing less money. The fact is that the vast majority of doctoral students had him as a professor.

Another one of the professors at SWBTS a few years ago wrote a NAC commentary with another man. After reading it I asked him about some of the things I had read, thinking that I had heard him say something different when I had him for class. He told me that some of the wording in the commentary was completely changed to read eactly the opposite of what he believed. He indicated that it was intentionally done.

Another professor wrote a book on the history of women in the SBC, which he was asked to write and it was killed after they printed and sold some because it was not what the leadership wanted to have out there for people to read.

Sound familiar? Sound like the RCC? It is the idea that if you just hide it, it will go away.

If the people who are in leadership will not take a stance, the people will, by leaving.

#3 gb93433, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

gb

Thanks for the information.

You know that I am not bapticostal, but I did appreciate the info.

Wayne