1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just got back tonight from SBC

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by cindig2, Jun 24, 2005.

1. cindig2

cindig2 New Member

My sister and I went to the SBC as messengers from our church. I can't explain how wonderful it was. We heard fantastic preachers Monday. Johnny Hunt, Roy Fish, Adrian Rogers, Jerry Falwell, the SBC President, Bobby Welch. Not to mention the wonderful singing. My sister and I went across the street where David Phelps was singing outside, and got him to autograph one of his t-shirts, and got a picture with him. He was very nice. We also got some books autographed by Adrian Rogers, and a picture with him. He is a wonderful man of God. This was the first SBC I have ever gone to, but I was throughly impressed, it made me even more proud that I am a SB. I plan to go next year, it will be held in North Carolina. Yes, I did see the gay guy giving out information, he gave us one too. I noticed a few people taking with him. I heard the gay guy say, "It's just like a person that is left handed". Everyone was very nice to him, and he caused no problems. On another board someone said you wouldn't believe what goes on there. Well, I certainly don't know what he's talking about. If he calls glorifying Jesus in song and preaching something strange, then I guess he's right. It was wonderful!

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am glad that you had a great time this year. Not so many others have been so fortunate over the years. The police had to be called into one in the 1980's because it got out of hand.

3. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

Nice to have an eyewitness account cindig2. Thanks for sharing.

4. OCC

OCC Guest

"On another board someone said you wouldn't believe what goes on there. Well, I certainly don't know what he's talking about."

That was me and there really was no point in bringing that up was there? I stand by what I said and I explained why in that thread. Go back and read it and next time don't stir the pot eh? Absolutely no point in bringing that up.

And you're right...you don't know what I was talking about.

KJ...out

5. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

You don't know what peace that brings to me, hearing that. For every one who is so judgemental, condemning, and condescending to our fellow sinners, there are those who do care enough to be kind and witness in love the Love of Christ for all. Thank you for sharing.

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

cindig2,

Thank you for sharing. I was alarmed over a sound bite played locally that painted a very different picture of what was going on at the convention. I'm so relieved to find out it was wrong, and that the convention was still God centered.

Thank you for sharing.

7. OCC

OCC Guest

Just for the record I had an eyewitness account as well. [​IMG]

Now...should I take the word of someone I don't know or the word of someone I do know? Rhetorical question by the way...I wish not to get into a debate here. I said all I had to say in that other thread and I explained what I meant and I even explained what part I had wrong.

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

*Smile*

King James, I was addressing, specifically, the radio blurp I heard.

I didn't think your post reflected too much on the convention itself, but more on the protestors around the convention. The radio blurp was about the convention itself, and concerned me.

I don't remember exactly what you said originally though, so maybe your post reflected more on the convention that I remember.

But, to answer you, yes, of course your testimony matters!

9. OCC

OCC Guest

Hey TS, no problem. Well I didn't go into details and I corrected my mistake. What my eye witness testimony told me about did not happen at the convention per se but somewhere else during it. I was just as shocked to hear it as people would be if I told them. But that's not going to happen. The issue is a dead horse now and I don't have a problem with the SBC people on here so there would be no point. God bless ya.

10. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to hear how the Lord blessed your trip, cindig2. Seeing and talking with David Phelps was a great bonus, wasn't it? Thanks for sharing ...

PJ [​IMG]

11. Pronto

Pronto New Member

Interesting ...

12. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I thought this year's convention was great. The theme was "Everyone Can." The goal is to baptize one million converts over the next year. That's an ambitious goal, but I believe God will honor our witnessing efforts. I hope all Christians will pray for the success of this effort. Winning people to Jesus is a matter that should transcend all inter-Baptist squabbles and differences. We can all come to the table of evangelism with the same desire...souls, souls, souls.

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That passion for evangelism is a wonderful vision. My concern with numeric goals is the possibility of emphasizing numbers/quantity over quality of our witness but I understand the importance of tangible numbers in goal setting.

I am also concerned with emphasizing "soul-winning" as one-time events for future glory that de-emphasizes discipleship for present glory. Instead of "souls, souls, souls" I prefer "transformed lives, transformed lives, transformed lives". Not as easy to say. ;)

Our church is not in the SBC but may God bless the SBC this year. [​IMG]

14. Baptist Bro

Baptist Bro New Member

I agree, Gold Dragon. The Great Commission is "disciple all the nations". Baptizing them is just a first step.

15. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

You guys are right....discipleship is the next step following salvation. Discipleship is a big focus of our convention, too. In fact, in the Alabama Baptist Convention, the offices of evangelism and discipleship are inseparably linked.

The numbers thing has never been a problem for me. Numbers are merely ways that we measure our progress...forward or backward. At least that's the way it works in my checkbook [​IMG]

16. cindig2

cindig2 New Member

King James,
    Are you an unhappy person? You certainly sound like it.

17. OCC

OCC Guest

Yes I am. Here is why:

You said: "On another board someone said you wouldn't believe what goes on there. Well, I certainly don't know what he's talking about. If he calls glorifying Jesus in song and preaching something strange, then I guess he's right."

You said that to stir the pot. The whole thing was OVER and you didn't even get it right. I NEVER said "glorifying Jesus in song and preaching" is "something strange". If what I said about Bush on here is slander, then what you said is as well. Now I'm happy. [​IMG]

18. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Come on, now. Let's not ruin a positive report with pettiness. If you really feel the need to, take it to PM. Otherwise, I say *thanks* for the positive report.