1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just wanted to share

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I was reading my Henry Blackaby devotional and this really hit me:
    Quote:
    "It's puzzling that so many Christians try to live the Christian life without reading their Bible, except for sporadic perusals of God's Word, seeking a pithy thought for the day. The Word of God is not merely a source of helpful suggestions, preventative warnings, or inspirational thoughts: it is life itself!"

Very puzzling indeed.

Something else that's puzzling....people (unbelievers) who want to argue with me about God and His existence when they haven't ever taken the time or energy to read about Him in His book. :confused: It would be like me trying to argue nuclear physics with a scientist having never read or studied about it. Yet they think they are soooo wise. I thank God for His beautiful Word! :love2:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Except that a non-believer will not look upon the Word of God as His Word, until the repent . . .

I don't think you have to repent before discussing nuclear physics . . .

3. billreber

billreber New Member

The point is that non-believers WILL argue against Christ without reading the Bible. I know from experience (on the non-believer side) that this is the case.

A friend named Thor tried to witness to me in high school, but I just argued against what he said. So, Thor encouraged me to READ THE BIBLE. When I took up that offer, God convicted me, and then I repented. That happened in 1971.

Thanks, Amy, for the this thread! It needs to be mentioned, over and over again, that we need to READ THE BIBLE, STUDY THE BIBLE, but never argue with non-believers. Encourage them to read the Bible instead.

Bill :wavey:

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is a great point!

Praise God for your salvation!

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Very good post.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks Bill. That was my point exactly. The word of God is so powerful. I have heard of many people coming to salvation by reading the Bible. God said His word would not return to Him void. And He meant it! :laugh:

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People who read the Bible and are convicted did not "come to salvation". If they turned to Christ it is because they already, without their having known it previously, have life and immortality in them (2 Timothy 1:10), and because the Bible was written for their benefit and learning and not those who are not of and in Christ (Romans 15:4).

They came to Christ because they follow the Shepherd's voice, but most importantly because the Shepherd knows them (John 10:27, 29), the Father drew them to Christ (John 6:44), Christ already said a prayer for them even before they believed (John 17:20) and the Father gave them to the Son from before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4;Rev. 17:8).

Everything that the child of God has in terms of eternal life is God's work, and His alone, through His Son, Jesus Christ, to whom all glory, honor, praise, and thanksgiving belongs.

:godisgood:

8. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

An unregenerate heart has no interest in the things of God or of eternal life! They have no concern or interest in reading scripture!

1John pretty much tells us how to test ourself to see if we are truly a 'christian'!

One can call themself 'christian' or anyother name they choose but only our God knows their heart and whether they truly belong to Him!

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not exactly true. I started reading the scriptures before I was saved because I was seeking God. God can use any means He desires to draw us to Him, even the scriptures.