1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just Wondering.....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Jul 2, 2006.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I've heard it said that there is no direct command in the Bible stating that wives should love their husbands.

Is that true?

If it is, are there any implications to be drawn from that fact?

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

There's no specific command about it that I can think of.

The only implication Ive seen taken from that is that God did not need to command the ladies to love their husbands because it is more of a natural response for a lady to love her husband.

There is a verse though that tells the older women to teach the younger ones to love their husbands and children.

Tit 2:3
    The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
    Tit 2:4
    That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

So I guess we really are supposed to.........:saint: :tongue3:

3. vbcpastorswife

vbcpastorswife New Member

We were just discussing this same subject the other night. Im curious to see what all is said on this.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

My wife and I went through that before we got married last year.

It is the husband that is commanded to love his wife, the wife to submit to her husband.

It is a good picture of Christ's bride, the CHurch.
    Christ first loved us and we are commanded to obey him. THe longer we obey Him and as He continues to show us His love, our love for Him will grow.

Makes sense though right?
    The man has to lead, so the woman has to obey, the husband has to love, so it should be easy to obey if he loves.

SHe will grow to love him.

The man has no choice, he HAS to love her from the get go.
    The man carries out much more responsibility in the marriage than the woman does, or at least he is supposed to:)

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Orginal Posts:
    "I've heard it said that there is no direct command in the Bible stating that wives should love their husbands.
    Is that true?
    If it is, are there any implications to be drawn from that fact?"

Before really addressing the implications, we need to define love. In our modern culture, love can mean almost anything, i.e. a feeling, a committment, sex, or an obligation.

In scripture, I think it means a committment and in some cases a feeling. I don't recall love being used anywhere in the scripture to mean sex.