1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justice: How Can Gov’t Function If It Can’t Make People Do Things They Believe Will Damn Their Souls

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In oral arguments in the Supreme Court yesterday, Justice Sonia Sotomayor asked an attorney representing East Texas Baptist University, Southern Nazarene University, Geneva College and the Little Sisters of the Poor whether the United States government would ever be able to function if it could not demand that people do things that those people believe will cause their souls to “be damned in some way.”

“Because every believer that’s ever come before us, including the people in the military, are saying that my soul will be damned in some way,” said Sotomayor. “I’m not naysaying that that is a very substantial perceived personal burden by them. But if that’s always going to be substantial, how will we ever have a government that functions? How will we ever have anything that the government can demand people do in objecting…that won’t be a problem?”

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/terence..._content=facebook&utm_campaign=n-justice-soul

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmm.... ask Bernie. He was a conscientious objector during Vietnam.

Sotomayor is beginning to scare me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk