1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justification and sanctification

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ps104_33, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Bible-belted

Bible-belted New Member

Carson,

"I believe that Paul uses the terms of "justification" and "sanctification" interchangeably"

That is of course not true. you can't even argue it really. Try pluggin "sanctification" inot the verses which say "justifcation" and you'll come up with things that you don't agree with. Most obviously Ro. 3 I should think. you don't hold fro example that people are sanctified by grace apart from good works.

Acts 26:18 quotes Jesus, not Paul.

Now understand that sanctification and jsutification ARE related. But they are nto the same thing. Your confusion on this is evident.

That sanctification and justification are used inthe same sentence affirms this. But the very fact that they are BOTH used shows that they are not interchageable. If they were using both in the same sentence would be redundant.

As fro 6:11 itself it is perfectly harmonious with Paul's view fo baptism as seen in Ro. 6, which sees batpism as the time when the believer identifies with the death of Christ. For Paul baptism is an integral poart of conversion. Which, becuase it is related to the once for all finished work of Christ, can be spoken of in the past tense.

Take things in context, and not as a proof text, and things make sense. ;)

I am aware of Scott hahn. He writes reasonably well. His argumentation is quite flawed.

BTW I ask you again to refrain from the term "anti-catholic".

As for Hebrews, remember that justifcation and sanctification are relateed. One cannot be sanctified without being first justified. That is Paul's argfument in Romans 8 remember?

BTW you can't prove your position by continually shifting the grounds. Please stick to one issue, on Scripture at a time. You cannot justify a flawed understanding of Romans 8 witha flawed understanding of Acts an 1 Corinthians.

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

My name is Psalm and believe me you will surely never see my picture posted.

3. Robert Nicholson

Robert Nicholson New Member

To all

In John 1 :12 "But to as many who received him to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. Which were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God

When a lost sinner is "born from" above John 3 they are changed within and indwelt by the Spirit of God. As children by the new birth we enter into an unalterable relationship with our Father in heaven.

As any newborn, our heavenly faith desires growth within our lives and that is we mature we become more like Christ. However, the maturity or lack thereof does not change the fact that we are sons/daughters.

If we take the family anology further, a father usually has a desire or plan for a son. He has set him apart (sanctification) From a practical point of view a son may follow the path set aside for him and bring much joy to his father. Conversely, he may not attain to the father's will and could bring sorrow to his father, nevertheless he is still a son.

This is what is so wonderful about the grace of God. He draws us in our lost condition to himself, he reveals to us our need of Christ and the value of his work on the cross. The moment we place faith or rest in the work which the Lord Jesus Christ has accomplished for us on the cross, we are born from above. It is a total work of God.

"In Christ salvation rests secure,
    The rock of ages must endure
    Nor can the faith be overthrown
    Which rests upon the living stone"

God bless
    Robert

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

My Pastor is expositing (is that a word?) through the book of Romans on Sunday nights, and we are on chapter 5. We looked at the first five verses tonight.

[1] Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
    [2] By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
    [3] And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
    [4] And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
    [5] And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Notice that it says being justified which is past, A one time event that already took place.
    We have peace which is present. Why? Because we have already been justified.
    And then we rejoice in the hope , future.

Now I'll just guess that you are probably a greek geek and will tell me something like the "being justified" in verse is an ongoing process, but look at verse 9.

9] Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

It says we are now justified , not going to be.