1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justification by Faith

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Primitive Baptist, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

http://www.the-highway.com/articleJan98.html

This is an article on justification by faith. This discussion will only be beneficial to Calvinists because it discusses justification by faith as it relates to the Calvinistic view of salvation. This discussion is more for clarification on my part to help me better understand what you all believe. I think, overall, it is a truthful article.

Question: When God looks at us, do we stand pardoned because of the rigteousness of Christ imputed to us or our faith?

2. Bible-belted

Bible-belted New Member

I haven't read the article (yet) but just to answer the above, I believe that we stand pardoned because of the righteousnes of Christ imputed to us. The righteousness of God is "through faith in Jesus Christ" (Ro. 3:22).

3. Primitive Baptist

I have always been taught and believed that at the moment of regeneration, the righteousness of Christ is imputed to the elect. If that be so, in what way do we "receive" it by faith?

[ January 13, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Primitive Baptist ]

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

Well, I believe that God's regenerative act within us immediately produces faith, and that faith is what we receive the imputation of the righteousness of Christ through. So if you are speaking of "time frame" here, we are talking less than nonoseconds. But the logical order of faith and then imputation of righteousness or justification is necessary due to the scriptures that say we are justified by faith or saved by faith, etc.

5. Bible-belted

Bible-belted New Member

In my theology, God makes the effectual call which prompts us to believe and then we have the righteousness of Christ imputed and we are regenerated.

Really we are talking about differenes in logical progression, not really temproal progression. IMO, for all practical purposes these are basically all one porcess.

6. Primitive Baptist

7. Primitive Baptist

"For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness." (Romans 4:3)

I've heard some say that faith is imputed for righteousness in the sense that faith is our righteousness. In other words, God, on account of one's faith, imputes righteousness in the place of faith as if faith is exchanged for righteousness. John N. Darby ascribed to this view. Darby wrote, "This was Abraham’s faith. He believed the promise that he should be the father of many nations, because God had spoken, counting on the power of God, thus glorifying Him, without calling in question anything that He had said by looking at circumstances; therefore this also was counted to him for righteousness. He glorified God according to what God was. Now this was not written for his sake alone: the same faith shall be imputed to us also for righteousness" ("Synopsis" vol. 4, p. 133)

In opposition to Darby, Arthur W. Pink made some noteworthy observations. Pink wrote, "In Romans 4 we read "his faith is counted for righteousness" (v. 5), "faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness" (v. 9), "it was imputed to him for righteousness" (v. 22). Now in each of these verses the Greek preposition is "eis" which never means "in the stead of," but always signifies "towards, in order to, with a view to": it has the uniform force of "unto." Its exact meaning and force is unequivocally plain in Romans 10:10, "with the heart man believeth unto ["eis"] righteousness": that is, the believing heart reaches out toward and lays hold of Christ Himself." He also wrote, "The Holy Spirit has used the Greek prepositions with unerring precision. Never do we find Him employing "eis" in connection with Christ’s satisfaction and sacrifice in our room and stead, but only "anti" or "huper," which means in lieu of. On the other hand, "anti" and "huper" are never used in connection with our believing, for faith is not accepted by God in lieu of perfect obedience. Faith must either be the ground of our acceptance with God, or the means or instrument of our becoming interested in the true meritorious ground, namely, the righteousness of Christ; it cannot stand in both relations to our justification."

I was reading Gill's "A Body of Doctrinal Divinity," and he raised a good argument against faith itself being that which is imputed for righteousness. Paul wrote in Romans 4:24, "But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;" The same "it" that was imputed to Abraham, will be imputed to us if we believe. In Romans 4:24, then, that which was imputed to Abraham and the act of believing are separated, and therefore cannot be the same. When the Bible teaches that we are justified "by" faith, it is used in the Ablative. Hence, a better translation would be "justified by means of faith." This makes faith the instrument, not the grounds of justification. Our justification is essentially the righteousness of Christ. That righteousness is received and appropriated by faith.

This is the understanding that I have gained so far in studying justification by faith. I would like to know your thoughts on these things.

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Primitive,
    Thanks for thr article. Joel Beeke is a good man. Justification is my favorite Bible doctrine to study and I will print it out and take it to work tomorrow and read it in the mens room, er, ah, I mean on my lunch break. ;)
    My favorite Bible verse is 2 Cor. 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There can be no conditions for salvation laid upon man, simply because salvation is entirely of God and never dependent on anything of man. "So then it; [salvation] is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy" (Romans 9:16). A. A. Hodge notes succinctly:

Justifying faith terminates on or in Christ, in His blood and sacrifice, and in the promises of God; in its very essence, therefore, it involves trust, and, denying its own justifying value, affirms the sole merit of that on which it trusts (Rom 3:15-26; 4:20,22; Gal 3:26; Eph. 1:12-13, 1 Jn 5:10).

This is from the article in question and I agree and say Amen... And AMEN! [​IMG] ... Brother Glen

10. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Justification is not by faith, but what causes faith.

Jesus died on the Cross in MY stead, that is Justification, His death justified my life. So, Jesus Justifies, My belief in Him Sanctifies me. Faith in Jesus sets the believer apart from the unbeliever.

Jesus Justifies - Belief in Jesus Sanctifies!

[ January 16, 2003, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Yelsew ]

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Paul said that we were justified by faith (Rom 5:1). You are in direct contradiction to Scripture. Folks this is so simple but some of you feel the need to be so technical and end up parsing Scripture right out of existence. To deny that we are justified by faith is a blatant denial of the clear text of Scripture.

12. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Think deeply about what is said Pastor Larry. I may be in contradiction to Paul's precise words, but I am not in contradiction to Holy Scripture which reveals that there is nothing man can do 'post Jesus' to justify himself. Jesus offered himself as a sacrifice instead of me having to die for my sins. That is justification before the Throne of God for me. I did nothing to earn justification, not even believing justifies me, because justification is a done deal 2000 years ago. The part that I play is faith. Because I am justified by the Christ, and because I believe in the Christ, I am now different that those who don't, I am sanctified, put into a different category, marked for redemption, marked for the final separation of the sheep from the goats. My salvation is assured by my sanctification which is the result of the Justification that Jesus afforded me.

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How can you be in contradiction to Paul's words without being in contradiction to Holy Scripture. Paul is Scripture. If you are in contradiction to one, then you are to the other.

Your problem is based on your denial that faith is the gracious gift of God. Man does not work faith up. He is not saved by the merit of faith. On this you are correct. But you cannot deny the plain wording of Scripture to support your own viewpoint.

Your salvation is assured by the sacrifice of Christ that was sufficient for all sin for all time.

14. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi Guys; [​IMG]
    Jesus Christ is our justification and righteousness It's our faith in Him that Gives Christ the reason to impute it to us.
    Romanbear [​IMG]
    Peace

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Thanks for the link, PB. I found it fascinating. I really enjoyed this particular part, emphasis mine:

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

True!

Untrue, if what you mean is that we merit the imputation of righteousness by choosing to believe. The article does a very good job of showing that this is unbiblical.