1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured K A T A R G E O : A Word often Mistranslated

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Sep 2, 2014.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Not correct. Please show me where the Bible says we will have physical bodies at any time after we die.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what he said. The bodies that we bury will be raised.

Yes or no?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Potato, potahto. You're telling us how we should translate a certain Greek word in every sense, applying your own theological bias AND an arbitrary and somewhat peurile notion of the meaning of consistency.

In short, you're committing the very sin of which you are accusing the translators.

4. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. Whatever. It is not worth it to waste my time on someone determined to misunderstand what I write.

5. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I answered his question. No, we will not be raised in physical bodies. The bodies that we bury will not be physically raised. Something better than merely physical bodies awaits believers.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They will be raised. They will be changed, but they will be raised. Just as Christ's was.

7. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ's resurrection had a purpose that ours doesn't have. It is not required for us to "fulfill all righteousness".

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Don't think much more needs to be said. You just bumped the table upon which your house of cards in the OP was stacked.

Job 19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

#48 Aaron, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  9. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you say Job 19:26?

Wait a sec...

This will be a separate thread.

#49 asterisktom, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shoulda looked before you leaped. :type:

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was the first fruit of many bethren, he was the first to be resurrected, and his body is the very template for all saved!

We will be glorified now as he is in the same kind of body, as his body was SAME one he died in, and God just as God raised Hos physical body out of the grave amd transformed it, likewise we shall have that same happen to all of us at His second coming!

To deny the physical resuurection of the bodt at his second coming is heresy!

12. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have been taught this by tradition and by your church, but it is not in the Bible. I challenge you to show me anything like what you have said.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol! Good luck with that! Yesh doesn't supply references, he only parrots.

14. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

AT, here's something I wrote in response to you in another thread, though it appears apropos here, as it can be tied to further discussion:
    In this thread, you're written:
    and
    The writer in Philippians wrote "For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself." (Phil 3:20-21)

Why state that Christ will change our vile body (this sinful shell we inhabit in our mortality) to be like "his glorious body" if there isn't, in fact, a physical resurrection?

15. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll give you an example.

In the SotM, Jesus says to cut out your eye or hand b/c it is better not to have those parts than to enter hell. Specifically, he says "your whole body be thrown into hell". If we understand the resurrection unto judgment to be something like that, then there is a physical body in eternity, albeit hell.

Compare this w/ Rev. 20 and the great white throne judgment where the "dead... standing" and then being thrown into hell. If we combine these, then they have a body being thrown into hell.

16. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not arguing that we will not be individuals, just that we will not have bodies that are physical. We will be spiritual, as I wrote in the new thread on 1st Cor. 15.

17. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is all well and good, but that passage I used talks about "flesh" and "bodies". And you have yet to comment on that.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will all be changed to be just as jesus bodily form was/is still, and that one he said had flesh and bones, and was not a spirit!

You have adopted spiritual resurrection because you must to be a full pretierist, not due to what the bible actually teaches!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will all be changed to be just as jesus bodily form was/is still, and that one he said had flesh and bones, and was not a spirit!

You have adopted spiritual resurrection because you must to be a full pretierist, not due to what the bible actually teaches!