1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Karl Barth

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Mar 4, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not disagree that his view is in error regarding God's Word. But I also recognize that he brings out some points that are often ignored. That said, his understanding of Scripture may not sit well with your understanding it is not unorthodox in terms of what is "Christian."

And yes, Barth did concentrate much on the freedom of God and election as his choice to save man through Christ. Christ then becomes the center of this election. But if you notice, Barth does not conclude that all are saved through this election (he does not deny it as a possibility). So no, this is not universal salvation.

Often times the charge is levied against those who hold views outside of a certain theory as well. I, for example, believe that through Christ God was reconciling the world (to include all humanity) to himself. I believe that Christ bore the sin of humanity (not excluding certain people). This, if it were to remain in your theory, could result in nothing but universal salvation. Yet in reality I believe that Christ's death was designed to secure the salvation of only those who would believe (the elect). I offer this as illustration only, not to change the topic but to show how theories have to remain in a larger theology or be misunderstood entirely.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too disagreed with what I understood Barth to be saying that the bible only became the word of God when the Holy Spirit illuminated our hearts to receive it.

But the more I read what he wrote I have come to see the possibility that he was saying the unsaved man does not receive the bible as the word of God until he is regenerated and indwelt by the Holy Spirit Who then illuminates his mind/heart to receive the bible as the word of God.

It is possible this is just Barth's take on 1 Corinthians 2:14 "Now the natural man doesn’t receive the things of God’s Spirit, for they are foolishness to him, and he can’t know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also get the idea (which I'm not really attributing to Barth specifically, but it is not an uncommon view) that the Bible is not the Word of God, but is something that leads to the Word of God (Christ). As such, Scripture points us to Christ as God's fullest revelation of Himself.

Think of it this way. Is the gospel itself the news that salvation has come or the salvation that has come? I can see it both ways.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. postman pat

postman pat New Member

I recently read a good book called From Calvin to Barth: A Return to Protestant Orthodoxy? It is well worth reading.

• Like Like x 1