1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karzai: Afghanistan would side with Pakistan over the U.S.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by StefanM, Oct 23, 2011.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have to remember there are factors that they need to consider:

1. They have to live beside Pakistan after we leave. A hostile Pakistan would not bode well for their longevity.
    2. They both are Moslem countries.
    3.Tribal loyalties are very important there. If the tick the tribes off, many of whom are on both sides of the border that also would not give them much of a chance at being independent long.
    4. They have seen us leave countries holding the bag in the past. In fact, we left them holding the bag once the war against the Russian invaders was over. Will history repeat itself. They have to hedge their bets.
    5. Cultures there have long, long memories. We don't. We are not old enough to have long memories.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am aware of these factors, but you don't come out and say something like that. The willingness to make such rash statements is disturbing.

They have the right to be an ally of Pakistan, but I would prefer not to spend American dollars while risking American lives for such a regime.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CBT forgot the most important point: Karzai made this announcement right after the president made the announcement that we would be leaving Iraq--thus, supporting CBT's point #4, and leaving an air of uncertainty about the immediate future of our presence in Afghanistan (i.e., the president promised to bring the troops home; he just announced that, "as promised," he's bringing the troops home from Iraq. One has to wonder if he's going to fully make good on that promise, in which case, how are our relations with our neighbors?)

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither of us really know all that is going on or what the situation really is. I remember a story about when Reagan was talking to Gorbachev. After the formal sessions were over and they were parting Reagan said something like, "Now, for political reasons I am going to have to publicly said nasty things about you."

"I understand," was the reply. "I will have to say things about you also."

They laughed, shook hands and went back to their homes.

There is so much that goes on that we do not know about.

They have the right to be an ally of Pakistan, but I would prefer not to spend American dollars while risking American lives for such a regime.[/QUOTE]

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Surprise, surprise: blood is thicker than water.

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pure Sensationalism, but Right On!

Love this post. Thanks for reporting on the facts. We need to know that anything we do in the mid-East is doomed to fail, and that is because "Blood is thicker" than water (the body of water that separates the US from the mid-East)! :sleep:

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Why is it these people hate us again?

It's because of our freedom right? Not because we're over there blowing things up and telling them how to run their affairs.

They hate us because of our freedom am I right?

#8 poncho, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
  9. Borneol

Borneol New Member

Good news! :smilewinkgrin:

"A Kinsleyan gaffe"
    http://isteve.blogspot.com/2011/10/kinsleyan-gaffe.html