1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Katrina Anniversary

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by JFox1, Aug 25, 2007.

1. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Today marks the second anniversary of Hurricane Katrina making landfall in the United States. First, it hit Florida. Three days later, it hit Louisiana and Mississippi, causing phenomenal damage. Here is a link to photos taken by storm chaser Mike Theiss. Katrina was his 14th hurricane.

http://www.mthurricane.com/Hurricane_Katrina.htm

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I grew up and graduated from high school in Gulfport, MS. Hurricane Camille in 1969 destroyed a house my grandparents had on Hwy 90. Those days following that hurricane, ( I was only 16) were some of the most miserable in my memory. No water, electricity, chain saws, hot, humid weather, the smell of everything imaginable.

Then a couple of years ago, Katrina pretty much gutted the house my Dad was living in. I decided after Camille the coast was not where I wanted to live.

The films are amazing. Living through Camille was enough for me. It is not an experience I care to relive.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just out of curiosity: Is there a reason why we mark these anniversaries?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have no idea. If there was some purpose or lesson to be learned, it might be beneficial. Otherwise, it is to fill up time on a 24 hour news channel.

5. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

It does serve a purpose. just look at those storm chaser photos. People who refuse to evacuate and think they can ride out the storm need to see those photos and think twice about staying. They just don't realize just how powerful these storms are.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this case we are remembering a major hurricane that basically destroyed a large part of New Orleans.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (deleted)
    My apologies. I need to back off of this. I was in Biloxi during Katrina. I was one of the military members that wasn't allowed to evacuate. I was there during, and for many months after. I still have personal feelings about the whole affair that cloud my judgment on the subject. If I offended anyone, please forgive me.

#7 Don, Aug 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2007
  8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If they cannot figure it out on their own by the warnings given, that is their problem.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No apologies needed. A person who has not been through such a storm can imagine what kind of experience it is, or what feelings it produces for the rest of your life. There are lots on this board who express opinions about many types of experiences and dont have a clue.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist